News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Torrenting "ethics"

Started by khalpin, July 26, 2008, 11:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

2 quick questions.  If I'm going to torrent a show with a soundcheck, but the soundcheck has a different ID# than the actual show on the Etree Db, should I make them separate torrents?  (Also, one is shn and one is flac)

And second, is it okay to change the text file before I torrent it?  (i.e. Songs are spelled wrong, and there's one track labelled as "Jam", where it's actually a song)

Thanks,
Kevin

DoW

chaning text files for typos is fine in my opinion and I don't think anyone would disagree.

your first question is a good one.  I've seen more than one shnid combined into one torrent i.e. if different sets have different shnids.
if it was me, I would set up 2 torrents.  but I don;t think it makes a hige difference as long as you are putting int he description or comments what you are doing.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

rowjimmy

Combining multiple shnids into a single torrent is fine as long as they are relevant to one another (as in the example that you've cited as well as in the  :syf: mega torrents.)

As far as correcting typos... You may want to note it and even submit the revision to the artist admin @ db.etree...

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 26, 2008, 12:33:42 PM
Combining multiple shnids into a single torrent is fine as long as they are relevant to one another (as in the example that you've cited as well as in the  :syf: mega torrents.)

As far as correcting typos... You may want to note it and even submit the revision to the artist admin @ db.etree...
Same goes for correcting song names. By it's nature, the db isn't 100% accurate (but it is pretty damn good-heads are sticklers when it comes to music I guess :-)). There is an "edit" button for the show's entry on the db and you can put in the changes. The next screen will ask you the explanation for the change (ie typo, wrong song name). It will get reviewed by an admin and changed if appropriate.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Okay, thanks guys.  Re: the edit feature on etree...soundchecks aren't listed on the show's main page, just on the source specific page and the edit feature only works on the show's main page.  It's not much of a correction anyway, I'll just modify the text file before I seed it, which I'll just do 2 different torrents for.  Thanks for all the input.
-Kevin