News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

baseball cards

Started by jedifunk, July 29, 2008, 08:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on July 30, 2008, 09:29:52 AM

'cmon dude, that's Topps.

I know, that's why I pulled it.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

jephrey

I've got GPK set 1 (missing 1 card) thru set 15 or something like that.  Those were a flash that might actually be something in more time.  But us late 80s early 90s traders are getting the shaft.  At one time, it probably would have been worthwhile to break up a set, but now the whole is just the value of the major cards added up. There's a few $4 cards and a bunch of commons for a $25 set.  Sad.  Maybe in due time.  We might be at that spot where our parents got their cards chucked by their parents.  Time to call mom and pop and make sure they don't trash that stuff.

are there still a lot of shows?  We should get a week4paug table at a card show and pimp out all that old stuff...  For sale, or trade  :wink:
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

I actually kind of like the fact that they're cheap now... I actually bought a couple of the Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" error cards on eBay a while ago...

cimsm

I have a TON of cards.... old Mantles, Koufax, Mays, Clemente, ... plus all of the 80's and 90's stars.
I thought we were supposed to all cash in after 10+ years?!  They aren't worth sh!t now.
Although, I still LOVE looking at them, so I guess the nostalgia is worth it, right?
After reading this thread, I started looking at various other sites.... can anyone say Hutch, Kuwahara, Torker, and PK Ripper?!!!!!!

nab

Quote from: mattstick on July 31, 2008, 10:36:58 PM

I actually kind of like the fact that they're cheap now... I actually bought a couple of the Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" error cards on eBay a while ago...

What did those go for?

shoreline99

I actually bought complete boxed sets of the years my sons were born, to give them when they grow up. I have a set of Topps series 1 & 2 for both 1999 and 2004. '99 was the home run battle and '04 was the year the Sox won the world series, so those cards might be interesting in a few years. Other than that, it's primarily for sentimental value :)
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mattstick

Quote from: nab on August 01, 2008, 12:54:15 AM
Quote from: mattstick on July 31, 2008, 10:36:58 PM

What did those go for?

I got all the errors and variations for $9.

Bobafett

I love going through all my old cards.  I prolly have 50K or more, in a giant cardboard box.  All my good ones are in the nice little sleeves.  From 86-93, that's all i spent money on.  I still buy 3 packs every now and then when im stoned at Walmart, but they are not worth what i dreamed they would be.  My favorite is still the Ken Griffey UD rookie card.  Second is Darth Vader and Bobafett topps card from 85?  i fantasize about dropping a vial on it and selling a piece of Vader's eye for $10/hit. :roll:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mattstick

Quote from: Bobafett on August 07, 2008, 05:09:25 PM
I still buy 3 packs every now and then when im stoned at Walmart,

I buy a pack or two when I'm doing my annual pre-Bonnaroo WalMart trip too!