News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Listening to 6-18-94

Started by MiamiPhish, August 10, 2008, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 15, 2008, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: slslbs on August 15, 2008, 11:37:57 PM

not good at type 2 in 94/95? Even if you just limit it to the tunes you mentioned - Tweezer, Antelope, and Bowie ( you missed Mikes, YEM, and an epic Stash) there are too many great type 2 jams in 94/95 to list. The later years were funkier and spacier, and if you like that better that's fine. But to say that they weren't good at type 2 jamming in 94/5 is a bit of a stretch. and inaccurate.

Ehh...  yeah okay I can see what you mean.  I just had always attributed Type II jamming to be playing tonally and harmonically consistent...  to be playing in key, and not going all over the place all the time like 72/73 Dead.  So yeah, you're right, then...  in that era those things COULD all become Type II vehicles.  

Mikes and YEM are definitely Type I, though.  The YEM jam is just vamping over whatever that chord progression is, and the Mike's jam is that F#minor groove.  

Acknowledgment of error! We are making progress. 94 & 95 defined Type II Jamming. Type II Jamming became relatively scarce by 97/98 when Phish decided to play Funk.

Declan

And this thread goes on...and this thread goes on...and this thread goes on...
And the heat goes on...where this thread has been...and the thread goes
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

sls.stormyrider

Mikes and YEM are definitely Type I, though.  The YEM jam is just vamping over whatever that chord progression is, and the Mike's jam is that F#minor groove.  
you're right, for the most part. but they did throw some type 2s in these on occasion. YEM 12/09/95, Mikes 12/31/95.
Listening to 6/26/95 now- type 2 jamming in DWD and Free.
anyway, that's trivia.
I think we agree on the main point.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Gumbo72203

Quote from: slslbs on August 16, 2008, 10:40:29 AM

you're right, for the most part. but they did throw some type 2s in these on occasion. YEM 12/09/95, Mikes 12/31/95.
Listening to 6/26/95 now- type 2 jamming in DWD and Free.
anyway, that's trivia.
I think we agree on the main point.

yeah, like I said...  pre-96, anything could turn into a Type II vehicle basically. 

Hmm...  I'm thinking that we should amend the definition of Type II jamming to include Type II A and Type II B.  Type II A would be the wacked out pre-96 Dead-esque jamming like the Tinley Park Antelope, pre-Sparks.  Type II B would be defined by Ghost or Tweezer, essentially: jamming modally, without any preconceived chord progression or anything, but doing it in a grooving, harmonically consistent way.  If that makes sense. 

Anyway, listened to some earlier Phish today at work.  I spun the 7/9/94 Set II.  Meh...  If thats your thing, then great.  Split didn't do much for me, the Fluffhead was really good, and I was REALLY excited about the Tweezer, because at the start of the jam, it was funking along pretty good and seemed like they were going to keep it in straight Type II B territory.  I really liked it at first... and then it started to get weird in the way that early Type II jamming did, which I don't like so much.  Overall, definitely a great set.  I just don't particularly care for this type of jamming.   
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again