News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

anyone voting for McCain?

Started by Gumbo72203, August 21, 2008, 10:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Lieberman didn't leave the Democratic party by choice, he was voted out, good riddance.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

I like what Bill Maher said about her:
She has 5 kids including a baby she just had at 43 years old. Doesn't anyone in the Republican party know when to pull out?

But seriously.
Picking her has to be the most cynical political move of the season. McCain isn't a maverick. He's running to old playbook and not as well as his republitard predecessors.

Mr Minor

Anyone heard anything about the rumors (and I stress rumors) that the last child she had was actually her daughter's child and she covered for her? 
I have read some things that point out interesting coincidences, but nothing factual.

Anything substantial?  It's prolly all a ruse but I'm just curious.

rowjimmy

No. Isn't that a plotline from Desperate Housewives?

I think that the fact that this baby has Down syndrome is an indicator that it's hers... they've definitively a mother's age to the risk of Downs...

Mr Minor

Thoughts on last nights speeches:
I found Giuliani and Palin's speeches to be very mocking of Obama.  I actually left the room during Rudy's speech because I was sick of the jokes, and a little peeved, about Obama's past positions and voting record.  The whole thing about voting "present" seems silly to me.  There have been many times I have gone into the voting booth and refrained from voting on certain things, usually smaller district elections, because I had no idea about the candidates.  Voting blindly can be worse than abstaining from a vote, imo.
I also don't want to put the democrats on a pedestal or anything, but the reps seemed a bit more childish in their speeches.

sls.stormyrider

Lieberman is a Dem. He ran as inde and won cause he couldn't get his parties nomination. He still considers himself a Dem and even said so the other night. He also asked Obama to campaign for him last time out.

There should be no doubt that Trig (the 4 month old) is Sarah Palin's. Aside from the Down's, her daughter is 5 months pregnant, which would make having a 4 month old pretty tough.

There are definitely some legitimate arguments one can make against Obama, and the GOP made them. Knocking the "present" vote is fair game - it happened. But, they also lied about his legislative record (Palin said he didn't author one bill or reform, he co-authored many, including some with pubs).

It's true that Biden and Obama have no "executive" experience. I personally don't see that as a down side, but I can't argue with that fact. Does McCain? What has he run? Rumsfeld and Cheney have lots of experience and look how they f**d us up. Even if you're for the war, it is very clear that Rumsfeld and co. waged it the wrong way.

As far as vets, remember Cleland? A Viet Nam vet from Georgia and former senator. Lost 3 limbs in Nam. He was against the war and against the Patriot Act, and the Pubs called him unAmerican and a traitor in the campaign against him.

McCain has clearly let the campaign get away from the issues (going against his word) and letting the GOP make it all about fear, hatred and paranoia.

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

I think Jephrey and slslbs both bring up a few good points. You have to take a step back and look at the fact that these conventions, while televised nationally, are really geared towards 'throwing red meat to the party' as several pundits have noted. As much as you can knock Giuliani's speech or Fred Thompson's speech from the other night, it really wasn't much different in purpose (not necessarily content) from Clinton's speech at the DNC. Except the Dems have better music. Both parties are guilty of bad hats and old white people.

When it comes down to it, both candidacies have their pluses and minuses and the rhetoric is only going to get worse in the next two months.

IIRC, the swift boat campaign came out in the final months of Kerry's campaign and it was only close to election day that it really knocked him down.

Lieberman is a great guy. While i haven't met him personally, i know several people (in both parties) who know him fairly well and he really is a decent politician. He is well liked in his district, despite the media coverage that you hear. He lost in the primary, narrowly, to Ned LaMont because his own party refused to back him when he needed their support. I don't see him as any different than someone like Mike Bloomberg, who obviously is a moderate republican/conservative democrat, and has issues with both parties.

I think the Palin pregnancy rumour has pretty much been put to bed at this point. However, the State Trooper firing will continue to linger.

Also, Keith Olberman is an a$$hole; he was quite obviously not happy to be reporting on the RNC last night and took every opportunity to snipe the proceedings and politicians. I know MSNBC is a more liberal-leaning news organization, but seriously.

The Palin/Biden and McCain/Obama debates will be interesting to watch to see how all the candidates react to not only the issues at hand but to the dynamics of each other's campaigns.

Just my $.02.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Phunkaddict

RNC seemed to me like a big oil/Iraq war rally. Two things we need to get away from, not put more into. Screw the wildlife in Alaska when we can drive our Hummers for a few more years.
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

Hicks

:roll:  No Bush/McCain supporter is a democrat in my book.  There's a reason that the democratic party didn't support that fraud last time around, he consistently votes to support the republican agenda. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Wolfmansbrother

rowjimmy

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on September 04, 2008, 11:58:50 AM
http://gov.state.ak.us/photos/PalinFamily_Outside_v01.jpg

dude PALIN = MILF

a) I disagree but whatev...

b) what's that got to do with anything?

there is a thread elsewhere for that...

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 04, 2008, 12:04:03 PM

dude PALIN = MILF

indeed.
imo, she looks like a horse that wants to be a librarian.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

keeb333

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 04, 2008, 12:22:45 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 04, 2008, 12:04:03 PM

dude PALIN = MILF

indeed.
imo, she looks like a horse that wants to be a librarian.

ROFLMAO!!!  "Marian....the librarian"

mattstick

Not hot.

It occurs to me that the more lies and BS and mud that the GOP throws at Barack, the more Presidential he looks. His MO for dealing with that crap is so calm, cool and collected - he deserves mad props.

Palin's speach was so full of mis-information and rhetoric she'd have been great in Bush's cabinet.

bluecaravan521

With regards to Lieberman - his behavior at the RNC was inexcusable regardless of how well-liked he is in his district.  He flat out lied about Obama's record, claiming that he had never gone across the aisle to author a bill (which I suppose Sarah Palin would tell you he has never done regardless of co-sponsor).  He worked with Tom Coburn (R) to write Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006, and Lugar (R) to keep weapons out of terrorists' hands.

The Senate leadership is threatening to take away his privileges as chairman for some committee unless he clarifies the record and apologizes.

Compared to the goons I watched last night, Obama looks too presidential.  With the lame duckness setting in on Bush I feel like we have no president and that we're electing one to fill an empty seat... Anyone else get that feeling?  Watching Bush in Beijing made me ask- that man is still our president?  He seems more like a perpetual punchline than anything else.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...