News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W09: 06-28-2000 PNC Bank Arts Centre, Holmdel, NJ

Started by VA $l!m, August 24, 2008, 08:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Phish
PNC Bank Arts Centre, Holmdel, NJ
June 28, 2000

Taper: Mike Vernal
Source: Neumann ak40s > Neumann lc-3 active cables > Neumann km100s >
Lunatec V2 > Audio Magic Presto II XLRs > Apogee AD-1000
Location: Set I: Front Row, 2 feet right of center, tapers, 60 degree split
Set II: Front Row, 2 feet right of center, tapers, ORTF

DAT > SHN: PCM-R500 > Audiomedia III/Powermac G3/233 > Pro Tools 4.3.2
Panasonic 7502 (burn/extract)

Disc One:

01: Star Spangled Banner * - 01:38:68
02: Set I Intro - 00:21:35
03: Chalkdust Torture - 08:50:40
04: Sloth - 04:00:32
05: Taste - 12:01:66
06: Bathtub Gin - 17:37:71
07: Piper - 09:38:55
08: If I Could - 07:36:26

Total: - 61:48:18

Disc Two:

01: Set II Intro - 01:48:35
02: Down with Disease - 12:51:29
03: Harry Hood - 15:06:59
04: Gotta Jibboo - 11:03:14

Total: - 40:51:62

Disc Three:

01: When the Circus Comes to Town - 04:23:68
02: Mike's Song - 11:35:18
03: Albuquerque - 04:10:20
04: Weekapaug Groove - 14:08:73
05: First Tube - 08:05:34
06: Loving Cup - 08:50:09

Total: - 51:13:74

* - Paul Languedoc asked everyone to stand for the national anthem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'll start by saying i didnt realize the next night had been done in the previous round, and i had already set my mind on using this show a couple weeks before Shapiro busted out the sbd of the gin this week...which i havent even listened to yet.

but here it is. i onyl saw three shows in 00. roseland and both of these PNC shows. roseland was roseland. but both of these shows were a blast. we headed down from LI with my best tour bud  BILLY and his New Hampshire crew. we raged the holiday inn for two nights and its this two day period that i alwys refer to as the run where i 'did more ecstasy in a 48 hour period than any other time in my life'. needless to say that by the japanese meatstick on the second night i was in the pavillion about ten rows back page side melting into the floor and laughing my brains out. ha.
also notewirthy is that these were the first show i ever made an attempt to DL from the interweb. immediately after the shows nugs.net posted them.

at the time i loved both shows. later on over the years i decided the second night was 'better'. until maybe a year or two ago when i decided that the second set suffered from the same disease i see in the majority of 00 shows now, in that the second sets always seem to slack off progressively.
i will add that during the show on the 29th, my girl and i had a moment during velvet sea where we looked at trey and then at each other and came to an understanding that he was 'definitely' getting high, f-ed up, what you will......

anyway, nowadays i really dig the 28th a bit more. and why not? unlike other folks the GIN isnt the highlight by any means for me. yeah its alright...pretty cool in fact, but there is so much more that gets me goin about this show! i mean SH--! i hate Chalkdust generally and it opens the show! thats gotta mean somethin good is goin on!
how bout that IF i could?! or that taste? sloth anyone? PIPer?....oh yeah, thats jsuty the first set!! and unlike the next night and almost every other show ive heard from 00, they sustain a great energy and flow throughout. DIG IT! i love this one!
too bad the audiences sorta blow, IMO.
hopefully we'll get a Video or release comin up soon.

-slim.

here's the lossless:
(big thanks to blatboom for the original seed)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=517844

and the SS (sh-- i hope i got this to work right!):

set1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/25j6vw

set2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/sh47j5

Submitted Reviews:

Sophist
August
Caravan
Pnchundi
Khalpin
Blatboom
GBL
Slim
Ned Ryerson
MiamiPhish
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ghost_2000

I like 6-29 better, too.

The transition from "Drowned" (not to mention the "Drowned" jam itself) into "Rock and Roll" might be my favorite thing from Phish 2000. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: ghost_2000 on August 24, 2008, 08:16:54 PM
I like 6-29 better, too.

The transition from "Drowned" (not to mention the "Drowned" jam itself) into "Rock and Roll" might be my favorite thing from Phish 2000. 

well, not sure if you read me right, but i've changed my mind and i'm all about this show over the next night currently,,,

anyway, ther both good shows, so giv ethis one another whirl!

personally and currently i prefer this show over every other 00 ive heard--  :-o :-o

ghost_2000

My apologies.
I, in fact, did not read correctly.

In any event, your preference of 6-28 over every other 2000 show is quite a statement! 
Although you certainly can make a case for this show...

along with 5-7 other shows.

But it is indeed good stuff.   :mrgreen:

pnchundi

getting the head start on next week...   its like getting the sunday newspaper delievered on saturday night

A-Train

Thanks for the sendspace link.Have not heard this show since that day.

VA $l!m

Quote from: ghost_2000 on August 24, 2008, 08:33:16 PM
My apologies.
I, in fact, did not read correctly.

In any event, your preference of 6-28 over every other 2000 show is quite a statement! 
Although you certainly can make a case for this show...

along with 5-7 other shows.

But it is indeed good stuff.   :mrgreen:

yeah i know, but in all honesty i dont think ive heard more than 50% of all the shows from this year.
but ive heard most of the ones people think are the sh--, and persoanlly none of them relaly do it for me that much.
this show isnt your typical barn burner. it is way more subtle and probably appeals to certain peeps  alot more than others. i'm def one of former.

Gumbo72203

overall, i think this may be the stronger show of the 2 as a whole entity.  When I first saw the setlist for Set I, i was kind of disappointed.  But listening, its actually a totally solid set, right through, with very unique but appropiate song selection. 

Set II is where this shits at, though.  They just fucking threw down here.  This is almost like a Disco Biscuits setlist, lol, where its ALL huge jam songs.  And you can tell they were fucking feeling it when they bust out with the First Tube > Loving Cup encore.  The 2nd half of this show is just a big pile of energy. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

did anyone use the sendspace?

i wasnt sure if i got it all done correctly.

if you have any issues please LMK and i can try and fix them immediately.

ALSO:

i think it would be cool to post a thread listing everyone's 'ratings' for the round for each week all together, so we could have a quick comparison of each others views throughout the round.

just an idea.

i might just do it,  if i ever finish my reviews... :|

thanks again to everyone that shared their picks and comments. even though i know some of us slacked at times, i still enjoyed the process as a whole.
peace,
slim.

VA $l!m

guess i picked a winner!!

this show is so good, everyone is speachless!!

:-o :lol: :-P

G. Augusto

Big fan of this show.
I like how they bounced back from such a horrible performance in Raleigh the show prior to this.

SSB - Played over the P.A. before the set. Both cool and weird.

Chalk - I'm either/or for Chalk openers. This one serves its purpose.

Sloth - One of my favorite tunes. However, most post '95 versions are botched in some way. This one is surprisingly good and avoids the trainwreck in the later sections that plagued many post '97 versions.

Taste - I can take it or leave it. I like the placement, however. It starts out really relaxed, which is good and then turns into your standard Taste jam. Good version and played well.

Gin - Classic version. I guess everyone knows this one. Personally, I prefer Atlanta over this one, but it is a ripper, for sure. Fat Guy In a Little Coat galore! Trey starts to shred this one from ~11:30 to just about the end. Fantastic version.

Piper - Again, not a song I like to hear, but serves well as a cool down. Gets quite riptastic and then mellows out at the end...

Could - Kick! I love this one. First since 07-31-1998 and the last. This is the only one where Trey starts the solo section. He plays Page's piano line which is actually really cool. Very inspired soloing by Trey. He then proceeds to fire 32nd notes directly into your face for quite some time. Alternate (i.e. probably forgot the) ending, too.

Disease - Super FAST! Trey shrages toward the end and then simmasdowna ~8:30.

Hood - Odd placement with a nice intro section. Jam is typical, yet works. There is no real peak, however.

Jibboo - Like the placement. So far, this show is really SOLID. Your typical Jibboo that gets you moving for about 10 minutes.

Circus - Perfect placement. Again, very inspired. You can almost feel an upcoming Mike's...

Mike's - Boo ya! I CALLED IT! One of my fave versions. Trey eases in to the jam, playing really meatily and funkily. Love the Whammy pedal jam and the start/stops. Total killer straight into >>>

Albuquerque - Love this tune.

Week - Does its thing. High energy version that caps the show off right. Trey seems really sincere when thanking the crowd.

1st Tube - Major flubs by Trey after he shuts his loops. Really the only big flub of the night. Cool version.

Cup - Bonus! I like the double meat encores.

This show rules and shits all over the following night.
I give it a solid as can be A/almost A+.
Good stuff, Slim!
a

pnchundi

i gotta some i am pretty impressed with this show so far.  Lots of great songs and solid playing.  I have heard this show before and not really enjoyed it, but i am hooked

chalkdust long clean lines from trey, really ripping it up! great start
sloth a bit a rarity and certainly in our review club.  listen to mike- he's banging away
taste great.  builds well and keeps up the pace
gin early part is ok, and then seems a little sluggish.  But they keep plugging away and then in the middle (8mins, 10mins?) they lock onto a nice dance groove.  Trey keeps pushing and finds a killer peak,everyone is right there with him.  I am little surprised cause most gins seem really tired by this point but this was pleasant
piper trey's still in shredding mode and starts early.  a little short? fish rules this one
if i could another kick down? this is really nice, its like page and trey of old, just playing off each other

dwd great as an opener.  Driving jam, gets a little spacy near the end, but they come back to the main theme and it ends well
hood not the best, but its a hood.  fun little glow stick war
jibboo more dancing fun
circus bathroom break. 
mikes just started, usually a good sign...

pnchundi

mikes super sick! really dark and twisty. i like the start/stop
Albuquerque one of my favorite neil tunes
weekapaug greatness!

firsttube loopy goodness. trey kills near the end
loving cup this is how you end a show!

WOW! A perfect 10.  This is a great show that really surprised me.  The setlist looks almost too good to be true, but it holds up.  The first set is really well done, great playing, some exploration, and a few choice kickdowns! The second set is heat throughout.  Even Circus, which is the slow point of the show is actually really nice.  And the encore is the bar at which encores should be set. 

VA $l!m

ned_ryerson

a few notes before the review....

1. In the past i have hated this show. It was the first show i got on CD and the sound was terrible and i always thought it was just awful. plus one of my buddies was arrested there so maybe that had something to do with that too. i DLd the torrent version because my copy was so bad to make sure that i was getting the same experience y'all were. i hope to drop some of the bias and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

2. For those of you who may find it odd that the Star Spangled Banner is on here, this venue is in some way (i am not 100% sure) connected to veterans. they run it or something i guess, there is a vietnam veterans memorial on the other side of the park way. They insist that the National Anthem be played before EVERY show. If you remember Sinead O'connor being kicked off stage for refusing to have it played before a concert, well this is the place.

on to the review:

Set I

Torture: Surprisingly it wasn't they seemed to be pretty into this at this point. Trey and Page seemed to just be shredding it up in full force.
Sloth: Not the greatest song phish ever wrote but rarity made it a classic and you can just hear the fun mike is having during this slower tempo version. Plus you can hear the crowd enjoying it. the Taste is good, i really enjoyed treys solo with about 4 minutes to go, and from there they just seemed to be having fun. Gin..i really like the placement here, so far the flow has been great and boy does page seem to be enjoying this. Very good Gin i think, especially for this late in the game. althought at one point it definitely petered out a good bit. Piper, never can really get into this tune too much. seems like trey is gooing his guitar up though. If i could i thought was pretty craptastic. slow and boring in my opinion but i can see where others might like it.   

well set I is done and i am covered in glue and paint so i am going to head to bed. will finish set II tomorrow night. I am starting to wonder if it was the next night that i despised so much, or was it the two camden shows? i just generally reject all jersey 00 shows.
wait..what?