News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Big Apple announcement on Tuesday

Started by whyweigh5.0, September 06, 2008, 02:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

That's a gross overgeneralization but... You get the idea.

jedifunk

yeah, 3rd party RAM, HDs, burners, etc is extremely cheaper than via apple... they charge like $100 for extra RAM that would cost $40 to install yourself.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

is there ever compatibility issues, or could it fuck up your warrantee with apple or anyhtign like that?

i just thought that was one of the downsides of buying a mac, was that you were sorta locked in to only buying apple products.

misconception?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

misconception... but you still need to buy the right type of RAM for your mac...

try crucial.com they have good prices for mac RAM.... as for HDs i say western digital drives
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

well, threadjack complete, and thanks for the info.
one more little question though.

one of my big needs fro a new computer is having an optical digital audio out.
i noticed on the imac that it has digital outs and ins doubling as headphone and i think microphone(?) jacks.
it says something like its a 'mini' digital jack. is this different from the optical digital jacks i use on my stereo now?
i just want to make sure i'll be able to stream music digitally from it to my stereo.

thanks for the help.

jedifunk

iirc, the mac pro is the online one with opitcal in/outs at this point
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on September 08, 2008, 05:53:35 PM
iirc, the mac pro is the online one with opitcal in/outs at this point

not from what i read last nite... check out the specs to see what i'm referring to:

Audio

* Built-in stereo speakers
    * Internal 24-watt digital amplifier
    * Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    * Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)
    * Built-in microphone

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

anyway, i'm also VERY concerned about the sound card i'll be getting, and i have to look into it indepth before i buy anything.

jedifunk

mmm, i guess i have that on my macbook as well... but i'm not audio guy so i don't know what that means exactly... hopefully jeph will chime in here, or tet, or matt
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I believe that may mean that it's a 3.5mm or 1/8" jack but that also has a light in it.  Not a typical optical connector, but a standard nonetheless.

Oh, here's an explanation...  At the end.  I believe I'm correct  http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5024297
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Oh, so you'd need a mini-jack > TOSlink which is a cheap thing I think.

As for tomorrow, I think the big news is with iTunes and I think there will be some things more than just the "genius" playlist and visualizers. I'm not sure, but I hope it's something bigger.  Maybe an announcement that apple will replace their "radio" portion of iTunes with a service similar to Pandora.  One huge thing would be if Apple were to pursue pandora and buy them outright!!!  That would be HUGE. 

Or my other hope is for a touch with a mic and earpiece.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

You can buy that optical cable on Amazon.com for really cheap.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on September 08, 2008, 07:19:19 PM

You can buy that optical cable on Amazon.com for really cheap.

so it sounds like itcan send digital audio out to a home theatre setup or what have you.
hopefully with the same quality as a standard optical connection...
whatever. when the time comes for me to actually look for a new computer, i'll have to research this sh-- thoroughly. streaming my lossless audio collection through my stereo is my #1 concern, and i want to make sure i have the best possible equipment to do so.
thanks.

mattstick

Optical is optical, digital audio is digital audio.

rowjimmy

My jb3 has a mini-optical input. The toslink > mini cable is inexpensive but don't get the cheap cheap ones...