News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2001 Echoes

Started by cactusfan, September 07, 2008, 03:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ri©h

Music For Architectural Students

In other rumors...

QuoteOne rumor I've heard behind this is that Floyd had done a soundtrack in the past for an Italian film that was considered such a disaster for a variety of reasons that they swore not to do another. So they denied Kubrick when approached to score it and immediately regretted it upon viewing of the film. The rumor is they recorded Echoes on the Meddle album to score with the last section of 2001, which it clearly does.

Theories abound when it comes to PF's music.  Some out of left field...  some out of the Andromeda Galaxy.

Hicks

Ironically they reversed that decision and did the score for La Vallée, which although it did produce a great album (Obscured by Clouds) you certainly don't hear many people talking about that film.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Ri©h

Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2008, 01:12:41 PM
Ironically they reversed that decision and did the score for La Vallée, which although it did produce a great album (Obscured by Clouds) you certainly don't hear many people talking about that film.

Indeed.  OBC is extremely underrated, imo.

cactusfan

Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 08, 2008, 09:33:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 09:09:46 AM
Life is coincidence.
Playing devil's advocate, could all of this: humanity, civilization, intelligence, technology have happened purely by coincidence?

why is that a coincidence? a coincidence of what? it happened, is all.

i'm talking about a sequence of a trippy movie and a trippy band that recorded a song shortly thereafter that is precisely the same length. that's no accident.

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on September 08, 2008, 01:37:43 PM
Life is coincidence.
Playing devil's advocate, could all of this: humanity, civilization, intelligence, technology have happened purely by coincidence?

i'm talking about a sequence of a trippy movie and a trippy band that recorded a song shortly thereafter that is precisely the same length. that's no accident.

Sure it is.

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 08:40:46 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on September 08, 2008, 01:37:43 PM
Life is coincidence.

Sure it is.

really? not even off by five seconds. the same length. purely a random chance occurance?

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

whyweigh5.0

so they turned down the film.  Then they saw it and regretted passing on the opportunity.  So maybe they decided to do the echoes/film sequence for their own pleasure
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Phunkaddict

Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2008, 01:12:41 PM
Childhood's End is a great song!
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

Hicks

Quote from: whyweigh3.5 on September 08, 2008, 09:17:09 PM
so they turned down the film.  Then they saw it and regretted passing on the opportunity.  So maybe they decided to do the echoes/film sequence for their own pleasure

Again the hours of studio time that it would have taken to pull it off would have cost too much.  Remember this was the pre DSOTM Floyd that did not have money to burn. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

MiamiPhish

That link I put up debunks the whole thing, although it does focus on DSOTM and Oz.

cactusfan

well, my attempted argument here seems to be backed only by a bunch of nattering yahoos all over the internets, as a little research has just showed me. which doesn't put me in very good company.

in any case, considering their 'almost' involvement in the movie, and the fact that the timing is identical, makes me think there is at least the possibility that they made the song that long to match the movie. this requires no special studio time, etc.

everything else would appear to be fortuitous. or, if they had it in mind in general, maybe a few general timing decisions could have been made.

i can't find anyone from floyd discussing this one, so who knows. still, it's nice to watch.