News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Change Rocks @ Penn State Oct. 13th

Started by whyweigh5.0, September 19, 2008, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519262

Setlist:

Obama Speech Video
Truckin >
US Blues
Help on the Way >Slipknot >
Franklin's Tower
Playin in the Band>
Dark Star
St. Stephen>
Unbroken Chain >
Other One >
Throwin Stones >
Playin reprise
Phil rap >
Bobby rap >
Touch of Grey>
Not Fade Away
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

In State College the Morning After - what a show.

The Allman's smoked. Gregg had much more energy than this summer - they were hot. Derek once again showed why he's the best guitar player on the planet.

set list, iirc -Revival, Statesboro Blues, Baby caught a train (?), One Way Out, And it Stoned Me, Dreams, Ain't Wastin Time no More, Don't think twice (w ST), Anyday (w ST, Oteil on vox), Trouble no More, Melissa, Midnight Rider, Jessica. E- Whipping Post  (I might have the ordere a bit wrong)

During the break, I was feeling kinda sad that Jerry wasn't there. He should have been - and, in a way, he was. Simply put, the "surviving dead" were hot. They played as a unit. Pretty much every song except for US Blues and Touch of Gray had a strong jam component. Bobby was "the conductor", giving directions and cues on stage. Phil was clearly driving the truck and leading the way on the jams. Chimenti fit in great, I really enjoyed his playing. The rhythm devils were on. The boys decided to keep going, and they did.
Warren also fit in very well. This was not Warren shredding over Dead tunes. His playing was spare - the only time I think he dominated was the jam after Unbroken Chain (beautiful). He didn't sound like the same guy from ABB and Mule.
It was also cool to see members of the "family" ( I think Phil's - I saw the same thing at the warfield) dancing in a circle behind the stage during Franklin's and Touch.

Call it Jerry's spirit, call it X factor - it was a special night.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Sounds great- glad you guys were able to make it!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: slslbs on October 14, 2008, 09:21:42 AM
In State College the Morning After - what a show.

The Allman's smoked. Gregg had much more energy than this summer - they were hot. Derek once again showed why he's the best guitar player on the planet.

set list, iirc -Revival, Statesboro Blues, Baby caught a train (?), One Way Out, And it Stoned Me, Dreams, Ain't Wastin Time no More, Don't think twice (w ST), Anyday (w ST, Oteil on vox), Trouble no More, Melissa, Midnight Rider, Jessica. E- Whipping Post  (I might have the ordere a bit wrong)

During the break, I was feeling kinda sad that Jerry wasn't there. He should have been - and, in a way, he was. Simply put, the "surviving dead" were hot. They played as a unit. Pretty much every song except for US Blues and Touch of Gray had a strong jam component. Bobby was "the conductor", giving directions and cues on stage. Phil was clearly driving the truck and leading the way on the jams. Chimenti fit in great, I really enjoyed his playing. The rhythm devils were on. The boys decided to keep going, and they did.
Warren also fit in very well. This was not Warren shredding over Dead tunes. His playing was spare - the only time I think he dominated was the jam after Unbroken Chain (beautiful). He didn't sound like the same guy from ABB and Mule.
It was also cool to see members of the "family" ( I think Phil's - I saw the same thing at the warfield) dancing in a circle behind the stage during Franklin's and Touch.

Call it Jerry's spirit, call it X factor - it was a special night.

great review, wish i could have been there

Bring in the dude!

danje

The show was incredible I thought. ABB rocked it super hard. The Dead blew me away. They messed up a lot of the compositions, but certainly made it up with the jams. Setlist was unbelievable. Before the encore Bobby said, "I think it was Robert Hunter who said if every deadhead in Florida voted in the 2000 election, the world would be a different place right now. Think about it." Very cool way to push the message of the concert.

rowjimmy

Quote from: danje on October 14, 2008, 09:57:40 PM
The show was incredible I thought. ABB rocked it super hard. The Dead blew me away. They messed up a lot of the compositions, but certainly made it up with the jams. Setlist was unbelievable. Before the encore Bobby said, "I think it was Robert Hunter who said if every deadhead in Florida voted in the 2000 election, the world would be a different place right now. Think about it." Very cool way to push the message of the concert.

Actually, Weir was paraphrasing Hunter Thompson.

Caravan2001

listened to both sets by the bands yesterday....Good show.  The Dead set is sweet.

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

WhatstheUse?

Just gave this show a listen for the first time today and it is SMOKIN!!!!!

setlist was nothing new but they sounded great....i was really suprised to hear how well warren  fit in.... he definitely did not sound like allman brothers warren
Bring in the dude!

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: whyweigh3.5 on October 16, 2008, 02:22:59 PM
I had a great time

me as well. It was a pain in the ass to find a seat but we finally settled in the most far right hand corner (by Warren) So it was cool watching it from up top and getting to puff down the whole show was nice, since there was no beers!
I owe Aug $20

sls.stormyrider

some amazing shots were posted here:
http://www.shnflac.net/forum.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=7720

some other, less impressive pics from my seat behind the stage and walking around the venue a bit

sometime the lights are shining on me

someone is excited they're playing Franklin's