News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-12-08 - North Charleston Coliseum N. Charleston, SC - Post-Show Discussion

Started by Buffalo Budd, December 09, 2019, 08:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

NORTH CHARLESTON COLISEUM
North Charleston, SC

SET 1: Sigma Oasis[1], Buried Alive > Guelah Papyrus, My Sweet One > Everything is Hollow, The Curtain > Mound, Brian and Robert, Crazy Sometimes > Frost, Breath and Burning, Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues > It's Ice > Walls of the Cave

SET 2: After Midnight, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan > Energy > Soul Planet, Wingsuit > I Always Wanted It This Way, Petrichor, Boogie On Reggae Woman > Rise/Come Together

ENCORE: Pebbles and Marbles, Beneath a Sea of Stars Part 1, Izabella, Chalk Dust Torture Reprise

[1] Phish debut.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

mattstick

Nope.

Tuned in during Frost and watched until the end of the set.  Not a classic Phish setlist but the band was tight and having fun.

Feeling a bit out of touch with this tour, getting some negative feedback from some older crew friends, but seeing a lot of love & light from Reddit... looks a little forgettable to me.

Hicks

Yeah doesn't seem like the whole no repeats thing really worked out last night. First non-Halloween set with no 1.0 originals ever?

Also, I'm kinda over Koa 2, it just has a harsh tone that I don't think is very suited to Treys playing these days. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 09, 2019, 08:28:18 AM
That is not what I expected for the tour closer.

Yeah, not sure the whole 'no repeats' thing worked out, even if they did get to dust off a few classic tunes along the way. Kinda glad I got to see them earlier in the week...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

The show is a bit up and down.
There are good jams in the STFTFP and Soul Planet.
Nice encore.

Bobafett

This was my least favorite of the run.

The seats we had were my favorite of the run.  Clear, full band  view page side with plenty of room.

First set mound and it's ice were my personal highlights.  The flow was up and down, but the crowd was ready for a beat down and they did not capitalize.  Some poor saps spent $200+for tickets.

Set II highlights were the after midnight, which had everyone ready to explode again, then pooped it out.   Soul planet was a great jam.   I always wanted it this way is a good dance jam too.

Encore was very nice, but nothing too experimental.  Sea of stars should have fallen in the spot between soul planet >wingsuit or the petrichor spot and would have had a much better effect.   It is not a great song for encore.

Trey was obviously very happy with the chalkdust reprise bit, and hit that plasma lick for good measure.

I can agree with the koa 2 tone.   I want that warm fuzzy sound not the grungy, high frequency feedback.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Gumbo72203

Yeah this setlist was not what I expected at all.  We were talking at practice last night about what big jams they have left - there wasn't much we could come up with.  And this show sort of spelled that out, Petrichor is the longest tune and it's mostly composed. 

Lotta cool songs in there, but the flow just seems weird.  Can't win 'em all. 

Quote from: mattstick on December 09, 2019, 09:28:21 AM

Feeling a bit out of touch with this tour, getting some negative feedback from some older crew friends, but seeing a lot of love & light from Reddit... looks a little forgettable to me.

I've been having a big debate with the band about them being practiced and sounding in-command vs. them sounding flubby.  Mexico '19 Curtain With is about as awful as we're going to get these days, but I have to say I'm really feeling the command this tour.  The setlists are fun, they're playing around.... busting out songs and putting things in crazy spots.  I like it.  Also, the jams!  Some of these jams are fucking incredible. 

I'm one to be super critical, but there's a lot of really good stuff here.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

cactusfan

Reminds me of that old saying, "always skip a sunday show."

This tour has been pretty underwhelming overall, with, of course, some high points in there. The no repeat thing was great for the Baker's Dozen, but here it feels very strained. Maybe they should try a tour with a limited number of songs in rotation for a change. Some tiny number, a mere 150, say.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 09, 2019, 10:44:07 AM
The show is a bit up and down.
There are good jams in the STFTFP and Soul Planet.
Nice encore.

Pretty much my sentiment.  After Midnight was excellent as well but they didn't capitalize on the energy imo.  Saturday night was much better.  I will still rate this show higher than the Prov 1, Nassau and the Met, if only for the bust outs.

Kinda disagree with you Hicks, I think Trey's tone has been great this tour, but that's just like my opinion, man.

Pumped for MSG even though they dipped pretty far into the bag for this tour to make no repeats work.  Bummed on Alumni, Sloth and Izabella getting trotted out but fingers crossed for Dog Log and Guy Forget.

VDB

Certainly some mixed reactions to this show. I can understand many of the objections, although I did not dislike the show nearly as much as some others did. My immediate feeling was I liked it at least as much as night two. Not to 24-hour myself or anything.

I enjoyed running to Scotty and George in the lot pre-show. Hope you fellas had fun.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VDB on December 09, 2019, 07:29:56 PM
Certainly some mixed reactions to this show. I can understand many of the objections, although I did not dislike the show nearly as much as some others did. My immediate feeling was I liked it at least as much as night two. Not to 24-hour myself or anything.

I enjoyed running to Scotty and George in the lot pre-show. Hope you fellas had fun.

Getting to see a happy and healthy George was certainly a highlight.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 09, 2019, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: VDB on December 09, 2019, 07:29:56 PM

Getting to see a happy and healthy George was certainly a highlight.

Glad I got to see George for 1 minute.

My friend I was with during the show really didnt like this one. I thoughtthe first set was pretty good and thought they would bring the heet for the 2nd but that didnt happen. After midnight got the crowd raging but energy kinda fizzled from there. My section was emptying out during the beneath the sea and stars.
[/size]

WhatstheUse?

Man.... one of the most discombobulated, low energy, un-flowy Phish shows I've ever seen. I'm the biggest Soul Planet fan here and even I couldn't swallow it at that point...

Not to say I didn't have a good time. Had a solid spot with the crew. McGrupp was in the house. First set had plenty of great songs but the randomness of the flow just threw me off in general. The whole Sigma Oasis > Buried Alive had me off from the start..

Encore ruled. CDT reprise was probably the highlight of the night, and finally got the crowd going. What a weird ending to tour!
Bring in the dude!