News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-12-28 - Madison Square Garden New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, December 29, 2019, 08:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

PHISH, SATURDAY 12/28/2019
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York, NY
SET 1: Evening Song[1], No Men In No Man's Land, Down with Disease, 20-20 Vision[2], Ghost, Gumbo > Rift, Weigh, Dog Faced Boy, Twenty Years Later > Tube > Say It To Me S.A.N.T.O.S.

SET 2: Everything's Right > Beneath a Sea of Stars Part 1 > Set Your Soul Free -> Gotta Jibboo > Free > Piper, Drowned, Ass Handed > Chalk Dust Torture Reprise[3] > Character Zero

ENCORE: A Life Beyond The Dream, Rocky Top

[1] Debut.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] With lyrics changed to Ass Handed.

anthrax

above setlist is directly from phish.net.  gotta give those people guy forget for their stats!

also, 2nd set was better than it looks.

mistercharlie

Livephish.com is calling it "Ass Handed Reprise". I'm just now to Ghost though, so I'll chime in on what I think when I get there. Really digging' set one so far. The new song kinda blew, but that 20/20 Vision cover was apt and cool.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

if chalkdust torture reprise is a song, then it was chalkdust torture reprise with ass handed lyrics.  if they played yem with alternate lyrics, it would be noted the same way.  let the discussions begin!

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on December 29, 2019, 11:16:11 AM
if chalkdust torture reprise is a song, then it was chalkdust torture reprise with ass handed lyrics.  if they played yem with alternate lyrics, it would be noted the same way.  let the discussions begin!

I would more equate this one to an Axilla/Axilla II  type of situation. It is definitely just Chalkdust Torture Reprise with Ass Handed lyrics, but that makes it feel like it warrants some sort of differentiating nomenclature. Plus, Trey even calls it "Ass Handed Reprise" and then Fish asks "Did we just invent a song?" as it is winding down.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 29, 2019, 12:13:35 PM

I would more equate this one to an Axilla/Axilla II  type of situation. It is definitely just Chalkdust Torture Reprise with Ass Handed lyrics, but that makes it feel like it warrants some sort of differentiating nomenclature. Plus, Trey even calls it "Ass Handed Reprise" and then Fish asks "Did we just invent a song?" as it is winding down.
I wonder if they will continue this with other songs this run. "Any song" reprise played over the original cdtr riff.
Paug FTMFW!

cactusfan

Quote from: birdman on December 29, 2019, 12:52:01 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on December 29, 2019, 12:13:35 PM

I wonder if they will continue this with other songs this run. "Any song" reprise played over the original cdtr riff.

I like this idea. I can't wait to hear Tweezer Reprise Reprise.

moonmoog

IMO...

If "Guy Forget" was played at 2011-09-04(as listed on .net and livephish), then it was also played at 2019-12-28. "Guy Forget" shares a compositional form similar to "Catapult" and "Lengthwise", in that it is a poem that can be played under any harmonic setting and still count as a song. (See 2000-10-01 "Guy Forget" and compare that to the 2011-09-04 "Guy Forget".) This would be contrary to the "Set Your Soul Free" tease in "Gotta Jibboo", a song which has a definite harmonic setting for those lyrics, hence a designation of "tease/quote". (See 1995-12-01 "David Bowie>Catapult>David Bowie" and compare that to 1994-07-16 "Run Like An Antelope>Catapult>Run Like An Antelope".)

www.phish.net and PhishStats are calling it "Chalkdust Torture Reprise", while www.livephish.com is calling it "Ass Handed Reprise"-
         https://www.livephish.com/browse/music/0,1477/Phish-mp3-flac-download-12-28-2019-Madison-Square-Garden-New-York-NY .
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

cactusfan

mattstick

The very funky "On Broadway" teases were just one highlight of a very fun show.

cactusfan

Quote from: mattstick on December 29, 2019, 02:20:21 PM
The very funky "On Broadway" teases were just one highlight of a very fun show.

Maybe they watched All That Jazz pre-show.

mbw

Guy Forget should have its own -> here.
At the very least, it could be in the notes, which isn't the case on .net, .com or here.  :?

Also, if the guy on stage playing it says it's Ass Handed Reprise, then it's fucking Ass Handed Reprise.

Damn, I need a life.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on December 29, 2019, 06:30:38 PM
At the very least, it could be in the notes, which isn't the case on .net, .com or here.  :?

Also, if the guy on stage playing it says it's Ass Handed Reprise, then it's fucking Ass Handed Reprise.

Damn, I need a life.

But you gotta feel good that the Ass Handed Reprise was played to completion!

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 29, 2019, 08:21:22 PM
Quote from: mbw on December 29, 2019, 06:30:38 PM

Damn, I need a life.

But you gotta feel good that the Ass Handed Reprise was played to completion!

How do we know if it was a FTP?
Perhaps there is a whole nother section that they didn't play?