News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

For me, half of the fun is the hunt.   

Looking for that white whale for years and then finally finding it in some secret hole in the wall spot that you stumbled upon. . .   there really is nothing like that feeling of holding that record that you've been doggedly pursuing all that time.

Even finding those records at Goodwill yesterday, which was indeed a score but nothing I've never seen before, gave me enough of an adrenaline rush to make me a little jittery.

Regardless of how often you listen to your records, anyone who is deep into this game does it just as much for that thrill as they do for the actual records themselves.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Augustus

Great points.

Personally, I like having something tangible again.
Putting all this care into the sleeve and media, keeping them clean, dropping the needle and getting comfy in my recliner with the liner notes and lyrics.
This is something I wouldn't have found as much joy in about 10 years ago.

Playing in a band for so long, I am blowing my mind with how pristine every instrument sounds and falling in love with the separation.
I sit back and listen to each drum and think about where each mic was and how it was positioned and for older albums, how high or far away the mic they used was and in what size room it was all recorded.
A great, quiet or acoustic album is what does it for me.

Also, rediscovering some of my all-time albums on vinyl is making me realize how much I was missing by only hearing them in digital form.
For example, I just got a new copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
I also just got my mind blown.
After hearing this on vinyl, I can honestly say that you have not heard this "entire" album until you have heard it from a turntable.
I truly love hearing each little overdub and imagining where and how it was recorded.
It's funny, 'cause this pressing came with the CD which has the cover artwork on the sleeve.
I was holding it and thinking "I bought this very CD at Tower Records over ten years ago".
It seemed like a fucking ancient artifact to me, much like the way people come into my house and see my relics so neatly stacked.
It's crazy how vinyl, as the media, survived all these changes and is still superior in sound.

As Hicks noted, the chase and the dig are parts of this, as well.
Monday is generally my day to go to my two local shops.
I like that no one is really in there in the morning and that I can take my time digging and flipping.
Not the most killer score, but I remember a few weeks ago when I was flipping through some new arrivals and found that mint copy of Portakabin Fever.
You truly do get a rush and at that very moment, I would have used my arms as weapons on anyone that tried to somehow swoop in like a falcon and tried to grab it before I did. You almost feel like you're doing something illegal by finding something so cool. Even after buying the thing and walking to your car with it, it still seems surreal.
It's like copping coke. Constantly checking it out at each red light on the way home and just thinking about that very moment when you wake inside your home with it and it's finally YOURS to do whatever the fuck it is you want to do with it (which is usually categorize it, put a polybag on it and store it away and not even listen to it for a few weeks.)  :-D

Anyway, I'm stoked to have vinyl at this point in my life.
I feel like it really did come at the most appropriate time.

SB

sls.stormyrider

Interesting
From another perspective, having been brought up on vinyl.
I remember the 1st time I heard a cd in 84. The clarity blew me away. Now, >90% of my listening is digital, cause it's so much more convenient. In the car, lining up several albums on a playlist etc. that said, the vinyl just sounds warmer and more real.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Igbo

Agree with everything Hicks and Aug have said.

The hunt, having something tangible that you need to care for, and the records can help you rediscover some of your favorites, ALL spot on for me.

Another reason for me why I love vinyl is when i started to expand my music horizons, it was easier for me to pick up records that i was into rather than cds. I could spend $4 on a good jazz record than spend $20 on the same cd or not even having it pressed on cd.

Also, i got an education from records. In the sense that i would sit in the record store and just read the back covers .Who palyed on this? What label is it on? Who produced the record? etc, etc, etc. You cant do that when the jewel case of a cd is sealed.

Also, when mp3s came out, i was and still am a computer retard. I didnt know and didnt want to know how to dl music. So vinyl was the way to go for me.

Igbo

Randomly walked into an Urban Outfitters this weekend with the Wife.

They had a little vinyl section. Was able to pick up the Rhino 180G reissues of both Workingmans and American Beauty for $9 each.

Those were on sale compared to the $30 hipster records. I guess the kids arent feeling  :syf: these days.

rowjimmy

I was in Urban Outfitters before xmas and scored a couple hipster records for $8.

I collect records because I always have and change scares me.

nab

Quote from: slslbs on March 05, 2012, 07:39:01 AM
Interesting
From another perspective, having been brought up on vinyl.
I remember the 1st time I heard a cd in 84. The clarity blew me away. Now, >90% of my listening is digital, cause it's so much more convenient. In the car, lining up several albums on a playlist etc. that said, the vinyl just sounds warmer and more real.

I think that a lot of us here were brought up on vinyl as well.  There were cassettes and 8-tracks around when I was young, but the main method of music playback was still vinyl, at my house anyway.  I remember when K-Mart (which was the only major retail store in my hometown when I was young) had a large vinyl section; with a $6.99 section that my mother would peruse every time we went. 

I had a funny moment the other day while my daughter was dancing around to the record I was playing.  She got a little too close to the turntable, and a little rambunctious, causing it to skip.  I yelled out at her over the music "Hey, dance somewhere else, your causing the record to skip!".  It was then I realized that I was having one of those moments when I sounded exactly like my parents.  Funny thing is, I wonder how many of her peers will have similar experiences like those my age had jumping around in the living room next to the record player.

As per the other points; yes the hunt is great.  Aug's description of looking at the album at every red light cracked me up because it exactly describes how I act on the way home from the record store.  Sometimes, if my wife and I go together, I make her drive home (I'm usually the driver) so I can check out both of our albums, usually filling her head with a bunch of trivia about the bands that she could care less about. 

But, it's pretty much the same feeling I used to have when I bought anything I was searching for, musicwise, in the past.  This makes me wonder, aside from the obvious sonic improvement, if the hunt is not also part of my rebellion with digital collecting in my search to actually own a music collection again.  To have something someone else doesn't have.  Even if someone else has the same vinyl I have, the actual ownership entitles me membership to a not so secret club of others in the know; something that is almost as cool.

Just thoughts, not trying to rain on anyone's parade.  Certainly not going to stop me from collecting vinyl.   

Pholy M. Pia

Excellent points by all. The Hunt is definitely a huge part for me too.
Flipping through stacks and crates takes me back to being a kid, except I can actually buy stuff now. Also, by digging the bargain bins at the local shop, I figured that at 89 cents per album, this is the least I've ever paid for music in my life.

Listening to the vinyl makes me feel like I've pulled cotton from my ears that I have been wearing for about 15 years.
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

Augustus

FYI....Best Buy has Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for $9.99 with free shipping.

gah

Quote from: Augustus on March 05, 2012, 12:36:18 PM
FYI....Best Buy has Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for $9.99 with free shipping.

I only got half my order last time through them, still waiting on my Monk/Coltrane album  :|

Still, thanks for the heads up. Might have to snag this Friday.

Also, in terms of vinyl, asides from everything else already mentioned, I just find it to be incredibly relaxing ritual at the end of the day as I read. It's the perfect timing to take breaks while reading, to get up and flip.

Also, in terms of listening, yeah, like the Brubeck, listened to that and Time Further Out last night as well. But yeah, as many time as I'd heard Take Five in my life, there's nothing like hearing that drum solo on vinyl. Or any of those classic Jazz tunes really, Body and Soul by Coleman Hawkins, West End Blues by Louis Armstrong, Trane and Ellington on In a Sentimental Mood, etc. The songs take on a whole new life, no matter how many time you've heard them, it's nothing like hearing them on vinyl for the first time.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Augustus

I've placed two orders with BB and received both rather quickly.
But none of the stuff was backordered, tho.
Also, they dropped their prices on a TON of stuff.
I bought that Wilco last week for $16.99.
Sky Blue Sky is also $9.99.
It's worth going through the list again to see what dropped.

I see the latest Sigur Ros studio is 7.99 and the first Fleet Foxes is 6.99....

DoW

I just got tom petty - mojo from BB that was on backorder on thursday or friday.
I don't remember the exact date I ordered it but think it took about 2 weeks.  obviously non-backordered stuff is quick shipment.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

gah

Nah, I just checked, I had placed an order for a couple Coltrane albums on 02/10. The first came within a week. The 2nd never showed, and just now checking my banking statement, doesn't look like I got charged for the 2nd either though. So maybe it never processed properly? I don't know. But since it didn't get charged, I'm just going to let it go.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mehead

Quote from: bvaz on March 05, 2012, 01:54:47 PM
I just got tom petty - mojo from BB that was on backorder on thursday or friday.
I don't remember the exact date I ordered it but think it took about 2 weeks.  obviously non-backordered stuff is quick shipment.

Speaking of Petty, BB also has Mudcrutch Extended Play Live for $4.99. 

Just sayin'
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

I ordered records from a few different places in the past two weeks. The first to deliver was the vendor I ordered from most recently.

Fatbeat records, ftw.

Also, they sent me a free 12".