News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/27 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion Thread

Started by Tomapella, July 27, 2014, 10:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

cleech74

Didn't find Neely. That's my only gripe. He tried.

The band was having fun, last nite. Danced till it hurt, saw lots of friends, and set 2 silliness/antics. A good time was had. 24 hr rule, no review, yet.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

CrazyDave

After last nights show perhaps I shouldn't perform surgery on your face Mr. Wilson. Fuck it, I'm going in and I'm gonna play that second set again while I work.
(~);}

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Thrillhouse

Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

mistercharlie

This set II makes me happy.
They knew what they were planning going in and Wilson was a perfect way to open the set... "Can you still have any fun now?" and The Boys answered "FUCK YES WE CAN!!!!"

My only complaint would be that I wish they would've gone into Manteca when Page started teasing it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sophist

Thoughts on Set I

Fee - playful.  The fact they make lite of the blunder, it's fun.  Very loose way to start the show

The Curtain (with) -  kinda tight composed section, a few minor flubs (a la Trey), but nothing worth bitching about.  I love the placement.  This is a first set song in my opinion.  And it's always been a favorite of mine.  The With composed section is played correctly.  Interesting bass effects by Gordo in this section.  Trey keeps the tone traditional.  And the jam kicks off at a pretty fast tempo.  Lovely bass work by Gordo.  Page is very subtle.  Some whale-age by Trey.  Fluid playing by Trey, albeit incredibly short phrasing, almost not even a measure at points.  This one builds pretty quickly.  Kinda Whale-y peak with this one.  It's good, but the Trey's tone also just sucks with the Whammy.  The peak of this song was always about fluidity and modality.  Really channeling the tension and release.  This one falls short of that. 

46 Days -  I'll take the placement.  NO BULLSHIT, 90mph to the peak with this version.  Very fast tempo.  For the tempo, I kinda want some face ripping Trey.  He leans really heavy on sustaining notes via the whammy.  I'd like to really hear more technical playing.  The rest of the band is just screaming go balls to the wall.  For his current capacity, he's giving it a go.  Lots of Whale sustaining.  I still prefer 6/26/10. 

555 - I guess the crowd needs a "cool down."  This is one of those songs that has potential.  I think it would be a fantastic jam vehicle for the band to get really weird and dark.  Pretty straight forward here. 

My Sweet One - some grass.  pretty standard

Sand - pretty standard version

Bouncin - standard

Saw it again - pretty rocking version

Fuego - pretty standard version IMO

YEM - pretty good job on the intro.  Nirvana section is very chill, and laid back.  Moving arpeggio section is well played too.  Pretty decent version.  Fun way to end set one. 

Pretty good first set imo. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sophist

Set II

Wilson - Love this as a set opener, albeit, I think it's better for set one.  I like the placement, it's changing up the predictable 3.0 formula.  Pretty good version. 

Tweezer - > Back on The Train -> Tweezer -> Back on the Train -> Tweezer -> Waiting All Night -> Free -> Tweezer -> Simple -> Tweezer -> Free > Catapult

Nice little drop into Tweezer.  Up tempo version.  Playful sounding.  Little bit of slop in the composed section.  Nothing major though.  Interesting how the start of the jam drops right into Back on the train.  Good segue.  Nice drop back into Tweezer.  Very tight transition back.  This is pretty good.  I like how Trey is trying from keeping at laughing as he refrains back on the train.  The drop back into the Tweezer jam is awesome.  The jam hits a major key place right away.  This is nice.  Really nice imo.  Oh, wow, this gets weird.  I'm really liking this.  This jam covers a lot of ground.  And actually has some pretty interesting sections.  Interesting break down section -> Waiting All Night I appreciate the Tweez fest, but you lose me slightly with this song choice.  I would have liked to see something crazier placed here.  It's played well.  The drop into Free is good.  For all the navigating, there isn't much of a crowd reaction.  Was the place in awe?  I'd like to hear some deetz about how this was absorbed. 

Free gets kinda RAWKY.  It's good though.  Segue/drop back into Tweezer is pretty good.  I like it.  Seems very unexpected.  Segue into Simple is a little forced, but it's still good.  I think more patience would have paid off.  Simple is well played.  The drop back into Tweezer is nice.  as well as back into the end of Free. 

The catapult gets little reaction. 

Pretty standard Slave and DWD.  The rest of the set I don't really care about.  I did LOL at seeing Jennifer Dances in the setlist. 

Overall, this is a pretty good set of 3.0.  Has some great moments, not too much slop, and a decent amount of energy. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

Really good show!  Prob my fave from the tour top to bottom, though pretty much EVERY Sunday show this tour has been tits.  And I love tits.  A lot.  Ready to give this one a serious spin shortly.  Happy for all those in attendance.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 28, 2014, 11:16:48 AM
Really good show!  Prob my fave from the tour top to bottom, though pretty much EVERY Sunday show this tour has been tits.  And I love tits.  A lot. Ready to give this one a serious spin shortly.  Happy for all those in attendance.

QFMFT (Quote For Mutha Fukin Tits)
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Itsnotanexperience

Fuck.   Seriously, until this band stops resting on its laurels and taking more chances, I'm fucking done.

rowjimmy

This second set is awesome.

Also, I haven't relistend but I caught some of set one on the stream and really enjoyed 555 & MSO. I wasn't able to focus on much else due to reasons.

In other news,
When I started using the "word" rawk while posting from inside the Hampton 2009 shows, it was meant as a good thing. A very good thing.

I resent Sophist's use of "Rawky" as some sort of negative.

Quote from: sophist on July 28, 2014, 11:02:25 AM
Free gets kinda RAWKY.  It's good though.

Free is supposed to be loaded with RAWK. That's what Free does by default.

To RAWK is to fucking RAWK and that is not bad.
Unless the song is Lifeboy then... I'd have to hear it.

Itsnotanexperience