News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

THE week4paug.net Phish Tribute Album vol. 1 is released.

Started by jephrey, April 07, 2007, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

QuoteJephrey did you do all the backing vocals on MP? Sounds like either a falsetto or a female vocalist.

I sang in a higher voice.  I have some ability to do that, but I used a minor effect (I think it's called "epic diva").  It just changes EQ and echo levels really. 

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

redrum

Quote from: susep73 on April 07, 2007, 02:41:21 PM
good job you guys, excellent work.  I really liked tracks 2 and 8, itsnot through down some nice crescending leads, Trey would be proud. :wink:

Looking foward to Vol. 2

you mean trey will be proud, don't you?? those guys will hear this eventually.. don't you think? i was picturing that while i was listening to it today.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

jephrey

I for one would imagine it's quite possible.  We'll see how many people grab it.  If people really do enjoy it, then cool, I don't think it'd be out of the question that it somehow reaches all 4 guys at some point. 

I'm working on a couple songs at the moment (OctopusRider, I started laying down Mike's vocals, and put trey's on top just to see.  We'll have to work on that one.  To everyone else, it's a suprise)

Another idea I had would involve mixing audio from people on this website reading one of their posts.  I'd need about 30 seconds of speaking, really laughing out loud etc.  so you non-musicians can at least use the mic and record that right?  If you want to do this, sendspace your clip, you'll be credited on the album.

Vol. 2 is going to be so cool.  Maybe it'll be longer (while still holding the same effort shown here) because of more people submitting tracks.  And I for one, hope we have a big (and fast) building of this one.  Maybe an early december release?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

OctopusRider

Quote from: reddrum on April 08, 2007, 03:42:17 AM
i can help. i play drums, guitar and sing.

Perfect! Start thinking about a song you'd like to do!

rowjimmy

I have a couple in mind for a followup effort, as well.

I also very much enjoyed working on my 'blob' tribute...

tet

well, i'd be happy to contribute as well, but i can only play guitar.  you do NOT want me singing!!  i can do some stuff with Garageband, so if maybe someone wants to suggest a song or 2, i can lay down a few tracks and send the full Garageband project to you to complete.

can't wait to get home and hear this, sounds like some quality stuff guys!  congrats!! 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

OctopusRider

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 08, 2007, 07:33:40 AM
I have a couple in mind for a followup effort, as well.

I'm thinking about a barbershop quartet version of BBFCFM...

...or maybe a bluegrass version of Carini.

:-D

jedifunk

i must say there is a whole lot of talent here at the paug!

mad props for all the great work y'all put into this... yet another stunning example of why the paug is the best place on the whole interweb!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

and it looks like i'm gonna have to breakout a copy of garageband so that i can join the madness...

ideas are already formulating :roll:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

susep

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: jedifunk on April 07, 2007, 10:11:32 AM
hey, the mp3 version didnt have the album artwork, WTF! ;)

seriously though, can i get that?  i'm extremely anal about my iTunes :roll:

Hey Funk!!

I'm still here.........been nutzy-insane-O, busy of late.........havent' really
been much of a contributor while the rest of the team made this thing happen.....
work's been off the charts and I've been in the midst of going from one girlfriend
to the next................total chaos.

Hope you're doing well - miss the chats on the 'paug.

OctopusRider

Today, my wife and I took an Easter drive and listened to the CD in its entirety. We were both amazed at how well the tracks go together. Great job everyone!  :beers:  :clap:

45 complete DLs for vol. 1 so far. Not bad. Hopefully more will jump on after the holiday.

Vol. 2 is gonna be even better! I have forseen it.  :evil:

Itsnotanexperience

Great job, everybody - great stuff and a lot of fun to put together.......not that I did much more than record 2001 and bitch
a lot about timetables.........much love to everyone:)

Looking forward to version 2.0!!

jephrey

Well, I haven't done much lately.  I have a couple-three tracks that I started working on, I just need to put a couple sections in.  I could have 2 or 3 tracks ready in a couple months if things go good.

Do you all want to shoot for a date or just say ASAP?  I'll start (if nobody else does) a new thread about vol 2.  But here are some ideas...

1.  remakes.  Sure.  I thought of doing my own rendition of dirt, just because it's one that I know.
2.  upgrades.  Sure.  If you upgrade your own existing song, then it can be released again on vol2
3.  upgrade collaboration.  Sure, with permission and collaboration.  Work with the person who released a track if you want to add backup vocals, an instrument, or even replace an instrument in a track.
4.  straight collaboration.  Sure.  trade tracks back and forth with 1 or more people to make a single song (I'm working on this with OctopusRider right now.  Should be cool)

Other than that, one thing that made this work is the recording setups of the contributors.  They may not all be that great, and there may be a place for it, but there weren't any mic'd room tracks.  They were all tracked electronically I think (maybe dirt wasn't, but it is crisp).  It's really easy to set up 1 or 2 tracks on any computer, for cheap or nothing, so if you're thinking about it, talk to someone who knows.  If you want to do an entire band live, it's more difficult, but possible to get that good sound.

Idea.  Anyone know if this'd work?

They make USB>1/4" and USB>XLR devices.  Will software recognize each one?  Is that a software thing?  The BW is ok, 48KHz, 24bit is 1,152,000bits/sec.  With overhead, let's conservatively estimate 2MB/sec, where USB2.0 is 400MB/sec.  So you could essentially have 200 audio channels this way...  I assume I haven't heard much about this because it doesn't work...  Whether it's the hardware not differentiating (but it does for other usb devices), or the software not differentiating, or data crashes because of the cheapness of the device.  Essentially, I want to get an 8-input usb hub, and 8 USB>1/4" jack adapters, plug my band in and try recording that way.  Right now I have 2 setups Nady PRA-8 > L+R mic input (for 2 inputs on my computer), and at my bro's house, a NADY PRA-8 > Motu 1996(or some number, an 8-channel device) > PCI input (for 8 channels).  The hub and 8 adapters seems so cheap and easy.

J