News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

December '95

Started by anthrax, November 19, 2020, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 02, 2020, 10:29:50 PM
Yeah, I didn't think of Phish as a light playful entity this fall. They were fucking evil, bad muthafuckas. It was a battle on a headful; you earned your stripes. A least once a show I'd find myself uttering "this is it, you're past the point of no return, you are truly insane".......and then they'd play something like Mango Song and I'd laugh hysterically at the dark place my mind had sunken to. Good God, I'd give anything to do it all again one more time.  :crazy:   

Amen.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

cactusfan

Quote from: anthrax on December 02, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: anthrax on December 02, 2020, 07:13:45 AM
QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/02/1995
NEW HAVEN VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM
New Haven, CT
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch (half-speed)

SET 1: Prince Caspian, Runaway Jim, Mound > Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], My Sweet One, Free, Taste That Surrounds, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum[2]

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Maze > Simple -> Faht[3], Tweezer > A Day in the Life > Golgi Apparatus, The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Bold As Love

[1] No whistling.
[2] All Fall Down signal.
[3] Fish on acoustic guitar.

Reba did not have the whistling ending and Possum included an All Fall Down signal. Faht featured Fish on acoustic guitar. Tweezer contained Take Me to the River teases and Squirming Coil contained a Carol of the Bells tease from Page.

a 240 mile drive and we're at our next stop.  i'm not super familiar with this show, so i'm looking forward to diving in this morning.  as i look at the attendance numbers, mar is totally right.  a lot of the venues are about the same size.  this place holds just over 10,000 people.  this night was sold out at $18-$22 tix.

don't forget this monster tweezer dsbd is on the FTA #14 from festival 8 - thanks again to khalpin for this awesome spreadsheet!

I'm not playing this game all month, but I'm going to revisit this one, at least. What a smoking show. This Tweezer just rages insanely.

Marmar

95 is what ruined Tweezer for me....

Mud Island, Canandaigua, New Haven, and Binghamton.....after that, Tweezer just was never the same....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

cactusfan

Quote from: Marmar on December 03, 2020, 05:18:44 PM

Mud Island, Canandaigua, New Haven, and Binghamton.....after that, Tweezer just was never the same....

Well... I fell in love with Phish in the '97/'98 era. There are amazing Tweezers to be found there if you like that sound. 12/6/97 comes to mind...

Marmar

Quote from: cactusfan on December 03, 2020, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: Marmar on December 03, 2020, 05:18:44 PM

Well... I fell in love with Phish in the '97/'98 era. There are amazing Tweezers to be found there if you like that sound. 12/6/97 comes to mind...

Inside joke between a few of us here. It's a well known fact I hate Tweezer....except when it's played. Make room, I'm worse than Antelope Greg......

Caravan2001

Listened to most of 12/2 yesterday.  Great show.  Not Top 5 of the month but even the bottom 5 of 12/95 slaughters almost all comers.  Might be the only Caspian opener I've ever seen, and even though it caught us off guard at the time (and we probably railed on it), it's a good early version.  You can tell they are hyped being back in New England for the first time in 3 months.

anthrax

QuotePHISH, MONDAY 12/04/1995
MULLINS CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
Amherst, MA
SET 1: Julius, Gumbo, Divided Sky, Punch You in the Eye, Stash, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Axilla (Part II), The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Hello My Baby, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

SET 2: Timber (Jerry The Mule) > Sparkle > Ya Mar, Run Like an Antelope, Billy Breathes, Cars Trucks Buses, You Enjoy Myself, Sample in a Jar > Frankenstein

ENCORE: Bouncing Around the Room, Rocky Top

i didn't like the day off.  i was ready for another show, so i relistened to the 12/1 dwd and the 12/2 tweezer.  then i stumbled upon the first 4 Faces albums.  needless to say, i'm ready for this one.
90 miles is all it took to get to settle in for the next 2 nights.  i'm not a huge fan of traveling in the northeast, but you can't argue with these show distances.  i assume these were big college shows?  any of you walk to them?  10,509 tickets sold out each night.  was Dick Vitale at these shows? 

Buffalo Budd

Thanks Anthrax for a wonderful idea.
It feels like a Phish advent calendar.
:beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: anthrax on December 04, 2020, 07:28:16 AM
Amherst, MA
SET 1: Julius, Gumbo, Divided Sky, Punch You in the Eye, Stash, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Axilla (Part II), The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Hello My Baby, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

SET 2: Timber (Jerry The Mule) > Sparkle > Ya Mar, Run Like an Antelope, Billy Breathes, Cars Trucks Buses, You Enjoy Myself, Sample in a Jar > Frankenstein

i didn't like the day off.  i was ready for another show, so i relistened to the 12/1 dwd and the 12/2 tweezer.  then i stumbled upon the first 4 Faces albums.  needless to say, i'm ready for this one.
90 miles is all it took to get to settle in for the next 2 nights.  i'm not a huge fan of traveling in the northeast, but you can't argue with these show distances.  i assume these were big college shows?  any of you walk to them?  10,509 tickets sold out each night.  was Dick Vitale at these shows?

Red Rocks and UMASS '95 were the first time I witnessed the scene go AWOL, as phans took on the forces. Red Rocks had lots of naked people streaking through town, glass store fronts shattered, and general roving mobs looking for instigation. UMASS similarly spiraled out of control. I can't remember which night, but the night with the huge snowball fight triggered the overzealous campus police vs. wook battle. Lots of wanton vandalism ensued. Consequently, Phish were banned from both venues, returning 15 years later (2009 and 2010 respectively).     
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 02, 2020, 03:31:45 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on December 02, 2020, 03:11:37 PM
Quote from: anthrax on December 02, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: anthrax on December 02, 2020, 07:13:45 AM
QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/02/1995
NEW HAVEN VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM
New Haven, CT
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch (half-speed)

SET 1: Prince Caspian, Runaway Jim, Mound > Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], My Sweet One, Free, Taste That Surrounds, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum[2]

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Maze > Simple -> Faht[3], Tweezer > A Day in the Life > Golgi Apparatus, The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Bold As Love

[1] No whistling.
[2] All Fall Down signal.
[3] Fish on acoustic guitar.

Reba did not have the whistling ending and Possum included an All Fall Down signal. Faht featured Fish on acoustic guitar. Tweezer contained Take Me to the River teases and Squirming Coil contained a Carol of the Bells tease from Page.

a 240 mile drive and we're at our next stop.  i'm not super familiar with this show, so i'm looking forward to diving in this morning.  as i look at the attendance numbers, mar is totally right.  a lot of the venues are about the same size.  this place holds just over 10,000 people.  this night was sold out at $18-$22 tix.

don't forget this monster tweezer dsbd is on the FTA #14 from festival 8 - thanks again to khalpin for this awesome spreadsheet!

stoked to dig into this one again.  I'll prob just listen to the AUD all the way through on Relisten.  I was in the 10th row for this one.  One of the shittiest venues out there but it was my local arena growing up (I was 30 miles north of MSG and 30 miles south of this one) so I saw a buttload of shows and events there in 80s/90s.  This might have been the last time I was there.  Then they imploded it.

Had to after Phish rawked the foundations.
Probably my favorite "rage" Tweezer, so many fucking peaks in that version. Machine gun Trey in full effect. Really like that Reba as well. All around solid show.

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 02, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on December 02, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Well, I just finished 12/1.  Scott is so dead on.  They just bash you over the head with their pace and their playing and just going right into the next song before you can get a breath.  It's fucking relentless.  I fucking love it.  This is fun.

Jesus Christ, dude.
You disgust me.

Does this mean I am more of a jaded vet than Paul? That's one of the first shows I was instructed to listen to as a kid. Was one of my go to shows for years when all I wanted to hear was Mike's and DWD.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ph92

Amherst, MA

Can't say I remember this one at all. But I'll probably cheat and listen to 12/5 right after because of that MONSTER second set.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

pcr3

Quote from: ph92 on December 04, 2020, 12:10:42 PM

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 02, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on December 02, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Well, I just finished 12/1.  Scott is so dead on.  They just bash you over the head with their pace and their playing and just going right into the next song before you can get a breath.  It's fucking relentless.  I fucking love it.  This is fun.

Jesus Christ, dude.
You disgust me.

Does this mean I am more of a jaded vet than Paul? That's one of the first shows I was instructed to listen to as a kid. Was one of my go to shows for years when all I wanted to hear was Mike's and DWD.

Me ignoring RJ's advice for years does not make you any less of a noob.  While I may not have listened to 12/1, I did attend 12/2...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

anthrax

it's so nice to see the paug lively again.  i'm glad you are enjoying this ride.  the 12/4 show is not delivering the hammer that i need it to right now.  good stash.  love a raged out timber.  antelope>piss break>yem is a great sequence.  but...the bar has been set high. 

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on December 04, 2020, 07:13:23 PM
it's so nice to see the paug lively again.  i'm glad you are enjoying this ride.  the 12/4 show is not delivering the hammer that i need it to right now.  good stash.  love a raged out timber.  antelope>piss break>yem is a great sequence.  but...the bar has been set high.

Definitely one of the more tamer shows of the month.  But the Timber was a rager and it was just a Monday night show, coming off three smoking shows the week before (arguably more than that).  Now the next night on the other hand....

Caravan2001

12/4 def one of the lower ranked shows of the month with good reason.  But, it's still Dec.95 so it's got some good stuff.  I went straight for the timber ho, which was good, and I even like sparkle.  Billy Breathes was nice as well and the YEM also very good.  All in all the second set is a little flat.  Not bad in any way but nothing compared to the week to come, or even the next night.  Speaking of the next night, I had to dive in, I could not wait.

I'll give the whole show a play tomorrow but I couldn't wait to dig into arguably the greatest Hood ever played.  It's not my personal all-time fave (Smith College has that honor) but it is as good as any ever played.  Went through it three times tonight and it's just sublime.  12/30 gets all the love and it's a top version as well, but 12/5 is the best Hood of this month, hands down.  And that's saying something.  Every 12/95 Hood is beyond.  12/5 is just beyonder.  Don't sleep on the Bathtub Gin either. 12/5 is $$$ and I'll give it a full play tomorrow.  And probably play Hood 3 more times too.