News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/06 - Great Woods - Mansfield, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 06, 2009, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechad

I agree with much of what susep has to say.  I don't think it was a weak show, however, but far from a great one.  Everything was played solidly, very few mistakes, a few during Fluff and of course the "Minor" section of Hood, but that one's getting closer, at think that as far as that one goes: Trey is playing it right, just not in the right place, he's playing it on the wrong frets.  The only tune I could have done without was "Let Me Lie" it's alright, but just not something I want to see.  It's funny, that was my wife's favorite song of the night and was upset that that's when everyone around us sat down.  Highlights for me were: Stealing Time (super high energy to start, didn't really ride that wave unfortunately), GOTT, Golgi in the first set.  In the second: 7Below, Fluff and Hood and I'm going to go say that this is the best Hood I've heard since The Went summer '97.  Much like susep said, everything was played well, it just didn't go anywhere, like the Jiboo is was good, again one of better that I have heard, but it was 10 min that didn't go anywhere.  Still, I'm glad that I got to see the boys again, it was worth the drive from Plattsburgh and back to see them.  We got there a sometime between 5-5:30 and just took our time walking from where we parked at the very last row in the parking lot (which was awesome, because we got right out afterward), didn't see meet up with anyone, but I saw slslbs right after the show started a few rows in front of our seats.  Overall: meh on paper, not that bad on tape, hopefully as the tour progresses the exploration will begin so SPAC will rage.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

flow00

I haven't read any of the reviews on this show yet because I still haven't listened to the second set. But, man. That first set was uninspiring.

Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan: I'm still not sure of this song. I'm not a big fan of Trey's thrashing if it gets repetitive or sounds anything like classic rock. I think it has potential, but it didn't do anything for me this time.

Nothing: Hate the lyrics and the way it's sung. It doesn't seem to have any potential for jamming.

Get Back On The Train: Pretty standard, which is a surprise. Some of the effects being used this year could easily have been integrated.

Golgi Apparatus: Never was a big fan of this song, and this version certainly didn't change my mind.

Sparkle: Standard.

Gotta Jibboo: First chance to jam ... and nothing special.

Lawnboy: Standard.

Let Me Lie: I like the lyrics to this and think it's a good song to play after the end of a monster jam, but there never was a monster jam. 

Taste: Nothing special.

Makisupa Policeman: Too standard, and again I'm surprised they didn't pull out the effects a bit like the did in the Hood.

Prince Caspian: Nothing special again.

Time to listen to the second set and hope for salvation. It's a big disappointment so far.

willsteele

I just got done with listening to this and it wasn't too bad.  Some good things happening.  I'd be satisfied if I were there. 
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

tonybeyondo

Quote from: willsteele on June 07, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
I just got done with listening to this and it wasn't too bad.  Some good things happening.  I'd be satisfied if I were there. 

For sure- love all the bustouts!  I'm a huge fan of Seven Below, so I'd have been totally satisfied- not so much Let me Lie or Julius, but hey- setlist or no, Phish is certainly playing better with each passing show- so psyched to see them this week! :)

sunrisevt

With an extra day's reflection, Saturday's show was solid. I just built up an expectation of 'more' based on the progress I saw from Hampton through Friday night, plus the weather. Transferred my mood onto the band.

So bummed I missed all the paugers this weekend! Try again @ SPAC.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mehead

probably one of the weakest shows I've attended (and a listen through it last night easily confirmed my feelings)...I was a little concerned when they opened w/ Stealing Time and Nothing..Nothing was tight but felt it was a very strange placement w/ in the set..hopes started to look up w/ GBOTT followed by Golgi which I thought started to energize the crowd but IT never materialized after that..Jibbo was solid but rather standard..things continued to drag w/ Lawnboy thru Taste and thus any momentum (very little up to that point) was quickly sucked away..Makisupa was beyond standard and thought Caspian was a weak version especially as a somewhat typical set closer..the talk during set break seemed to be very consistent - pretty tight set but no real jamming and the flow of the set was just flat out weird but was still jazzed for the 2nd set..susesp correctly called for a 2nd set Seven Below and as painful as it is to say - this was the highlight for me in the 2nd set (and it's not much of a highlight)..I found myself more interested in the glowstick war than the song..thought Fluffhead REALLY killed the rest of the set for me..at one point it seemed none of the boys knew where to take this song - one look at Page confrimed this..after Fluff susep and I were beyond dissapointed..there was pretty much nothing else they could bust out to turn things around..didn't care for the Hood and Possum was nothing special (not a good sign when you couldn't care less about a 2nd set Hood & Possum)..Contact had a nice funk moment but that's all it was -a moment..I have never witnessed a more BLAH and unenergetic 2nd set in the 16 years I have been following the boys..and what I thought was very strange was that as we were herded out of the place there was no buzz and no talk about the show - a sign of a weak show..I just wanted to get back to the lot and head back to the hotel..all in all - very dissapointed considering this was a rare 1 stop show in Mansfield..in the preceeding shows it seemed they were "starting to go out there" but it just didn't happen on this night..conservative playing, no risk taking AT ALL and just a fuckin' weird show that just never got off the ground..the weakest of the run up until this point IMO...
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

flow00

I hate to be the negative one, but I really didn't like this show at all. It felt like a night off for Phish. Yes, the playing was tight for the most part, but no risks were taken. The exploratory jams were nonexistent. And I'm having a hard time hearing why anyone thought the Hood was anything special. It just sounded very standard and contrived.  I don't think I'll ever be able to get behind Scent of a Mule and Heavy Things in the middle of a second set. A groove was never established and extended upon. Maybe the band was tired. This is my vote for the most uninspiring show of the tour.  :|

shoreline99

Quote from: flow00 on June 08, 2009, 10:27:31 AM
I hate to be the negative one, but I really didn't like this show at all. It felt like a night off for Phish. Yes, the playing was tight for the most part, but no risks were taken. The exploratory jams were nonexistent. And I'm having a hard time hearing why anyone thought the Hood was anything special. It just sounded very standard and contrived.  I don't think I'll ever be able to get behind Scent of a Mule and Heavy Things in the middle of a second set. A groove was never established and extended upon. Maybe the band was tired. This is my vote for the most uninspiring show of the tour.  :|

OH SNAP! FLOW00 IN THE HOUSE!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

okelnard

in the middle of set 2 now.  Set 1 was well, it was set 1.  Some good playing, nothing too mind blowing (like the comment about Le Me Lie being perfect for after a big jam, but no big jam here).

Fluffhead, sure, it's fluffhead, always fun... Mule, missed the chance for some great Page / Mike action, just sort of spun in place for a bit.
I'm liking this Hood though.  Not real exploratory, but has a nice groove.  I could pull this out and put it on a mix tape and be happy with it.

Possum is donig the same casual drift that could have gone far far away, and then comes right back into a good rockin' typically great possum.

I give them credit for NOT doing a "formula" show like  :syf: always did in 2nd set (no offense meant, I love the dead, just you knew ...>drumz>space>... was always gonna happen). 

I know we all want something epic, but sometimes instead of a 100+ lb swordfish that takes all night to pull in and leaves you a depleted babbling mess, you get a fish sandwich from McDonald's.
It still will fill your empty belly, but doesn't keep you from functioning like a human being later (well, that may be debatable). 
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

blatboom

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 07, 2009, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: nab on June 07, 2009, 09:21:04 AM
I'm personally excited that they debuted Let Me Lie.

Not my favorite TAB tune - would rather hear Dark and Down!

don't tease me.

Phunkaddict

I don't know what to say... went to JB3>Camden and this was my favorite. I'm not gonna say it was the best. I used to go to the shows waiting for the jams and if I still did I'd have been let down. Fishman stepped up finally and crushed Trey in Sparkle. I've seen too many botched Golgi and Taste this decade and Trey got through these very nicely. Other than the opener everything had not been played yet this tour but HoodPossum. That in itself impressed me, but the fact that nothing got screwed up on top of that was outstanding. IMO the strange set 1 was basically what you get when you got Destiny and Curtis less than a week ago... It all evens out. An obvious effort was made not to repeat Fenway songs which I think is really cool, for many noreasters only got to see the two and I felt that most of those songs could have been due in rotation(Very few repeats in 6 shows... I feel like less than ever before over 6). blah blah b;ah... basically Fluffhead DESTROYED Me!

Last night was my 95Th show and after that many it really doesn't matter how or why or what makes you satisfied,  just that you embrace it when it happens. This band is on its way back to the top and it feels so good.  :-D
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mehead

since the live setlist thread for this show is closed I'll say it here....since I was at this show I hadn't taken the time to read the live setlist thread and it's hilarious..to see the utter disappointment from most paugers as the show developed mirrored the horros I went through by sitting there..
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Undermind

I just talked to one of the friends that I went to GW with and it brought to mind an anecdote I should share with you from this show.  My friend and I went to a walkway next to the lawn beer stand during the encore break in hopes of beating the masses back to his car.  During Julius, which was a rocker, my friend and I were dancing pretty hard.  A security guard started giving my friend a hard time, telling him to move along pretty much.  My friend who is usually very mild mannered turned to said security guard, eyes wide open and said." I named my kid after this song!."  The security guard had a funny look on his face and just moved along.  I couldn't stop laughing.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog