News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Another new Archival Release - 8/1/98 Alpine Valley

Started by PIE-GUY, June 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I guess they don't wanna pay Atschiller to mix them if the two track sounds good enough. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Superfreakie on June 29, 2020, 12:05:26 AM
Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2020, 11:35:52 PM
Yeah I wish this was a multitrack, it sounds fine but it's nowhere near the quality of the Grand Rapids 98 from last year.

Everything after '94 is multitrack but they choose to not use them, which is confounding cause every multitrack release sounds much better. Is it because they plan to eventually return to the gold mine and release tour box sets like the GD, with these billed as superior quality to what was previously released. They really suck at marketing their archives. The GD now have it down to a science. Not hard to see. Put together a great funky looking box, less a fucking glider, have someone write a 20 page booklet with great photos, and hire the absolute best to mix it (and for the love of God, please dump Kervorkian - he sucks).

Yes, Dr. Deaf has got to go. Why do people keep hiring him?!? It's not just Phish, I see his name on other groups as well.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 15, 2020, 08:25:39 PM
Fuck yeah!!! I loved this show and have never really been a big fan of the aud I have!
agreed. def would love an upgrade of this.

was a good show, but personally had alot of weird mid tour drama going on with people getting arrested and shit so at the time it wasn't my fav, but came to love the tape later.

iirc i actually got in off a fake ticket for this one  :crazy:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ph92

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 29, 2020, 05:17:39 AM
Yeah I wish this was a multitrack, it sounds fine but it's nowhere near the quality of the Grand Rapids 98 from last year.

Everything after '94 is multitrack but they choose to not use them, which is confounding cause every multitrack release sounds much better. Is it because they plan to eventually return to the gold mine and release tour box sets like the GD, with these billed as superior quality to what was previously released. They really suck at marketing their archives. The GD now have it down to a science. Not hard to see. Put together a great funky looking box, less a fucking glider, have someone write a 20 page booklet with great photos, and hire the absolute best to mix it (and for the love of God, please dump Kervorkian - he sucks).

Yes, Dr. Deaf has got to go. Why do people keep hiring him?!? It's not just Phish, I see his name on other groups as well.
He's trash, but I guess it plays into the lackadaisical release of random archive shows. Can't complain about 2 releases in 3 months, though!
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ph92 on June 29, 2020, 10:08:10 PM

He's trash, but I guess it plays into the lackadaisical release of random archive shows. Can't complain about 2 releases in 3 months, though!

FTR, I'm pretty sure Phish had him master 200+ shows like 15 years ago and they are just releasing them whenever they feel like it. They're not going to him every few months with another show to master. In other words, don't expect anything different for a long time.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 30, 2020, 06:42:00 AM

FTR, I'm pretty sure Phish had him master 200+ shows like 15 years ago and they are just releasing them whenever they feel like it. They're not going to him every few months with another show to master. In other words, don't expect anything different for a long time.

:cry:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

I suppose every new release increases the chance they get shapiro to do an FTA

mistercharlie

Quote from: kellerb on June 30, 2020, 09:23:31 AM
I suppose every new release increases the chance they get shapiro to do an FTA

Did Shaps do an FTA for this release? I read that he was going to be playing selections from the release when he announced it, but did he play any other archival gems?

rowjimmy

I should probably mention that we did an HFPod episode on this release. came out last week and was a pretty fun conversation.
There are disagreements.

https://www.osirispod.com/podcasts/helping-friendly-podcast/helping-friendly-podcast-episode-178-alpine-valley-8-1-98/

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 30, 2020, 06:42:00 AM

Kevorkian wasn't involved with the Grand Rapids 98 and Kent State multitrack releases. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.