News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dune thread

Started by mopper_smurf, September 10, 2020, 11:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

I take it that there are a few folks on the 'paug who like the books and such. The first film adaptation was pretty bad (Sting is in it FFS), but the trailer for the new one looks pretty good.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

emay

rowjimmy

I like this trailer and it gives me hope for the new film.
But, while we wait for the actual film I'm gonna stand up and say, though it falls short of the book and Sting blows, the Lynch film had many merits.

I haven't seen it in many years but here are a few of the elements that I did enjoy:
The personal shields. They were weird and blocky but I like that.
The design elements of each household, especially the Harkonnens. Sure, Sting blows and the Baron was a horror show but the Baron is supposed to be a horror show.
The worms. I may have a faulty memory but I thought they were well done for the time period. I am psyched about a film made with today's cgi tackling this.

oh, and Gurney Halleck played by Patrick Fucking Stewart. In fact, MOST of the casting for the 1984 film is excellent.

I think the story suffered immensely in the edit. Hopefully they can get away with a longer and more coherent film this time.

mistercharlie

I'm with rj on this one. The original movie was great. Not on par with the book, but still good. I'm looking forward tothe new adaptation.

The one down-side to the Lynch version of the movie in my mind is that he turned down doing Return of The Jedi to make Dune. A David Lynch Star Wars would have been insane!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 10, 2020, 02:01:23 PM
I'm with rj on this one. The original movie was great. Not on par with the book, but still good. I'm looking forward tothe new adaptation.

The one down-side to the Lynch version of the movie in my mind is that he turned down doing Return of The Jedi to make Dune. A David Lynch Star Wars would have been insane!

I'm good with Lynch staying out of Star Wars.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 10, 2020, 03:11:15 PM

I'm good with Lynch staying out of Star Wars.

But Leia could have met a backwards talking ewok inside a red ewok-hut!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

The David Lynch Dune had a soundtrack done by Toto with one song by Brian Eno. 

That's a pretty good summary/analogy for the movie. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Hicks on September 10, 2020, 06:45:04 PM
The David Lynch Dune had a soundtrack done by Toto with one song by Brian Eno. 

That's a pretty good summary/analogy for the movie.

:clap:
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

emay

pretty sure the first movie is still on HBO Max/Go if you want to give it a spin again

cactusfan

Lynch was never going to make a Star Wars movie. He agreed to Dune never having read the book, and with the stipulation that his next movie would be financed (which would be Blue Velvet). Lynch hated the experience of Dune, felt he never had control of it, and didn't like the end result. Over the years, after becoming a big deal, he was asked by the studio numerous times to oversee a new edit of it, a director's cut, but Lynch turned them down every time, having no interest in revisiting the material. It is what it is, as far as Lynch is concerned.

But yeah, though overall it's not a very good movie, there's a lot of great stuff in there, and a fantastic cast, assuming you ignore Sting in his golden underwear.

I caught it just a couple years ago in a theater. It was fun to see how many future Lynch cast members are in it, and to see all the strange art design, which in retrospect is so very Lynchian. Basically, it's a really cool movie--aside from story and character. I mean it starts with I think close to forty minutes of exposition. Just scene after scene of people reciting history. It's baffling.

Still. Who else but Lynch would have scenes featuring both Jack Nance and Brad Dourif in a big budget sci-fi flick?

The new trailer looks fine, if not a little generic.

westcider

the thought popped into my head earlier today, why has no one made an animated/anime Dune movie?  seems it would by a perfect way to get into the mental/body/metaphysical stuff that is so important to the whole story.  such as being able to do the poison thing without a character having to actually say something like "took care of that poison with my training"

mopper_smurf

Quote from: westcider on November 09, 2020, 12:18:12 AM
the thought popped into my head earlier today, why has no one made an animated/anime Dune movie?  seems it would by a perfect way to get into the mental/body/metaphysical stuff that is so important to the whole story.  such as being able to do the poison thing without a character having to actually say something like "took care of that poison with my training"

I would love to see that for sure.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

mopper_smurf

Dune inspired metal to listen to while we are in stairway mode.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/dune-inspired-metal-list
Twitter | FB | Instagram

emay

I guess main trailer came out 2 weeks ago

sunrisevt

Have any of you, my fellow Dune/Phish nerds, read any of the extended Dune-series novels perpetrated by Herbert's son? If so I'd be interested to read your thoughts...
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.