News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on July 11, 2012, 04:23:05 PM
super fun times just 12 years ago today...

Tuesday, 07/11/2000
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Set 1: Ya Mar, The Moma Dance, Uncle Pen, Drowned, Chalk Dust Torture Reprise > Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom > Cavern

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Down with Disease -> Moby Dick > Down with Disease > Runaway Jim -> Moby Dick, Back on the Train -> Moby Dick > Back on the Train, Harry Hood[1] > Moby Dick, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up > Moby Dick[2] > Hold Your Head Up, Character Zero

Encore: First Tube > Moby Dick > Chalk Dust Torture Reprise

[1] Moby Dick tease.
[2] Trey on drums and Fishman on vacuum.

Notes: In keeping with the theme of the second set, Hood included a Moby Dick tease. Trey introduced Fishman as "Russell Crowe" during Terrapin. The Moby Dick inside of the HYHU jam featured Trey on drums and Fishman on vacuum. The Chalk Dust Reprise was akin to the version last played on December 10, 1994 (391 shows), with the band singing the words "Chalk Dust Torture" over varied music. At the end of the encore, Trey joked that, if anyone missed anything, they should read the book or see the movie. Prior to this show, Moby Dick had not been played since November 29, 1997 (172 shows).
That show was amazing. I was on three hits of some tye-dyed blotter and I vaguely remember turning to my buddy when DWD turned into Moby Dick and losing my shit. Just out of this world happy, a pinnacle of joy. The feeling kept getting better and better everytine they would go back into it. By the end of the encore i was crying tears of happiness. That night I danced my way back to our campsite, a few cornfields away, singing the music of Moby Dick and occasionally singing 'Tourturrrrrre'.

'bum ba-na-na-na-na na-na-na-touturrrre ba-na-na-na-na na-na-na'
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 11, 2012, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: birdman on July 11, 2012, 12:52:24 PM
Newb

when's your 20th anniversary?
Ill be bumping this thread in October.
Funny that my story involves the Spin Doctors too.
Paug FTMFW!

ytowndan

Awesome story, PG!  Thanks for sharing!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 11, 2012, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: phil on July 11, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Buncha geezers up in this piece, jeez :roll:  :wink:

it does make me feel old. I can't lie.
how do you think I feel?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

MeltMe

me and PIE-GUY had the same first phish show!  I got the email from phish.net, followed the show link and read your review there.  was so stoked you mentioned the ARU/WSP tradeoff...was one of the cooler things I've seen live.   Great read that really brought me back, thanks.  Seems like yesterday...
nothing i see can be taken from me...

Superfreakie

This September is my 22nd anniversary. Although, admittedly, I had an eleven year hiatus, some of which was spent while Phish was also on two hiatuses.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

20 Years ago today

QuoteSaturday, 07/25/1992
Stowe Performing Arts Center, Stowe, VT
Set 1: Runaway Jim, Foam, Sparkle, Stash, Rift, You Enjoy Myself[1], Llama[2], Funky Bitch[2]
[1] Unfinished; Carlos Santana on guitar and Karl Perazzo and Raul Rekow on percussion. You Don't Love Me (Willie Cobbs) teases.
[2] Carlos Santana on guitar and Karl Perazzo and Raul Rekow on percussion.

13 years ago today I was sitting second row center for one of my favorite shows I've been to. I scored 5 second row center seats through public on sale at the local ticketmaster outlet because I went to high school with the girl who was running the lottery and she liked me, so she called my number as the first to get to buy tickets!!

QuoteSunday, 07/25/1999
Soundcheck: Mike's Song, Back at the Chicken Shack, Beauty of My Dreams, Day Tripper
Set 1: Meat, My Friend, My Friend[1] -> My Left Toe -> Whipping Post > Makisupa Policeman[2] > Happy Birthday to You[3], Makisupa Policeman, Saw It Again, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Cavern
Set 2: Birds of a Feather[4] -> Walk Away > Run Like an Antelope[5] > Suzy Greenberg[6] > Hold Your Head Up > Purple Rain[7] > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself[8]
Encore: Loving Cup
[1] No "Myfe" lyric.
[2] Key words were "gooballs, brownies, stink, kind nugs... keef!"
[3] Instrumental from Trey and then "rasta style" sung (with a We're gonna get you so wasted tonight after the show" lyric), Mike took a bass solo, Fishman also sung a verse in a mock Jamaican accent (with a "you roll up a big spleef and you don't pass it with no one" lyric). Kuroda then took a one-minute light solo.
[4] Unfinished; contained a My Left Toe tease.
[5] Stash tease.
[6] I Wish teases and a syncopated jam based around Page.
[7] Fishman forgot the words and subsequently thanked the crowd for supporting his vacuum cleaner habit.
[8] Boogie On Reggae Woman jam.

Also, 16 years ago today I saw Neil Young, Primus, Morphine, MMW, Leftover Salmon, & Aquarium Rescue Unit on the HORDE festival tour here at Deer Creek.

07-25 is one of my favorite days for music. I even pushed to try to have our wedding on 07-25, but eventually decided against it due to the fact that I didn't want to have to skip a show on that date in the future because of our anniversary.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

natronzero

I might not have even remembered if this thread hadn't popped up today, but 15 years ago today I attended my first Phish show:
Friday, 07/25/1997
Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, TX

Set 1: Beauty of My Dreams, Wolfman's Brother > Maze, Water in the Sky, Bathtub Gin -> Makisupa Policeman -> AC/DC Bag

Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture[1] -> Taste[2] -> Ya Mar[2] -> Drums[3] -> Ghost[2] > Character Zero[2]

Encore: Theme From the Bottom[2]

[1] Unfinished; Bob Gullotti on a second drum set.
[2] Bob Gullotti on a second drum set.
[3] Bob Gullotti on a second drum set and Page on keys.

Notes: The second set and encore featured Bob Gullotti on a second drum set. Chalk Dust was unfinished. The Drum Jam also featured Page on keys.

and then the next night my second:
QuoteSaturday, 07/26/1997
South Park Meadows, Austin, TX

Set 1: Limb By Limb[1], Dogs Stole Things[1] > Poor Heart[1], Stash[1], Billy Breathes[1], Cars Trucks Buses[1], Dirt[1], You Enjoy Myself[2] -> Izabella[1]

Set 2: Timber (Jerry)[1] > David Bowie[3], Harry Hood[4] -> Blister in the Sun Jam[1] -> Harry Hood[1] -> Free[1], Waste[1] > Johnny B. Goode[1]

Encore: Bouncing Around the Room[1], Cavern[1]

[1] Bob Gullotti on a second drum set.
[2] Bob Gullotti on a second drum set; Willie the Pimp teases. No vocal jam.
[3] Bob Gullotti on a second drum set. Backup vocals of Rock Lobster teases from Trey.
[4] Unfinished; Bob Gullotti on a second drum set.

Notes: Hood was unfinished. The entire show featured Bob Gullotti on a second drum set. YEM did not contain a vocal jam and included Willie the Pimp teases just before the segue into Izabella. Bowie contained teases of the backup vocals to Rock Lobster (B52's).
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

PIE-GUY

"DRUMS" in the 2nd set - Dead show?  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Happy Phishiversary!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 25, 2012, 02:46:55 PM
20 Years ago today

QuoteSaturday, 07/25/1992
Stowe Performing Arts Center, Stowe, VT
Set 1: Runaway Jim, Foam, Sparkle, Stash, Rift, You Enjoy Myself[1], Llama[2], Funky Bitch[2]
[1] Unfinished; Carlos Santana on guitar and Karl Perazzo and Raul Rekow on percussion. You Don't Love Me (Willie Cobbs) teases.
[2] Carlos Santana on guitar and Karl Perazzo and Raul Rekow on percussion.

13 years ago today I was sitting second row center for one of my favorite shows I've been to. I scored 5 second row center seats through public on sale at the local ticketmaster outlet because I went to high school with the girl who was running the lottery and she liked me, so she called my number as the first to get to buy tickets!!

QuoteSunday, 07/25/1999
Soundcheck: Mike's Song, Back at the Chicken Shack, Beauty of My Dreams, Day Tripper
Set 1: Meat, My Friend, My Friend[1] -> My Left Toe -> Whipping Post > Makisupa Policeman[2] > Happy Birthday to You[3], Makisupa Policeman, Saw It Again, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Cavern
Set 2: Birds of a Feather[4] -> Walk Away > Run Like an Antelope[5] > Suzy Greenberg[6] > Hold Your Head Up > Purple Rain[7] > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself[8]
Encore: Loving Cup
[1] No "Myfe" lyric.
[2] Key words were "gooballs, brownies, stink, kind nugs... keef!"
[3] Instrumental from Trey and then "rasta style" sung (with a We're gonna get you so wasted tonight after the show" lyric), Mike took a bass solo, Fishman also sung a verse in a mock Jamaican accent (with a "you roll up a big spleef and you don't pass it with no one" lyric). Kuroda then took a one-minute light solo.
[4] Unfinished; contained a My Left Toe tease.
[5] Stash tease.
[6] I Wish teases and a syncopated jam based around Page.
[7] Fishman forgot the words and subsequently thanked the crowd for supporting his vacuum cleaner habit.
[8] Boogie On Reggae Woman jam.

Also, 16 years ago today I saw Neil Young, Primus, Morphine, MMW, Leftover Salmon, & Aquarium Rescue Unit on the HORDE festival tour here at Deer Creek.

07-25 is one of my favorite days for music. I even pushed to try to have our wedding on 07-25, but eventually decided against it due to the fact that I didn't want to have to skip a show on that date in the future because of our anniversary.

Those are two quality shows, right there.
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

QuoteAccording to what you entered at Phish.net, today is the 15th anniversary of your first Phish show! To help you reminisce about the 15 long years since walking into Loring Commerce Center at Loring Air Force Base in 1997, we invite you to visit http://phi.sh/970816 for the setlist and download links.

08/16/1997 (Sat) The Great Went - Loring Air Force Base - Limestone, ME
Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Harpua*, Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom, Punch You in the Eye, Ghost, Ginseng Sullivan, You Enjoy Myself, Train Song, Character Zero, The Squirming Coil
Set 2: Wolfman's Brother > Simple** > My Soul, Slave to the Traffic Light***, Rocky Top, Julius
Set 3: Halley's Comet > Cities > Llama > Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Funky Bitch#
E: Contact, Loving Cup,
Comment: 
* - Started with the theme and Jimmy story, picking up where the song stopped last year at the Clifford Ball.
** - Theme from the 'Odd Couple' tease.
*** - Included instrumental intro.
# - Major fireworks display behind the stage as Funky Bitch ends.

Such an awesome trip with my future wife.  After the rain we endured at the Went I was only able to convince her to attend one other festy in Oswego.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 16, 2012, 09:07:58 AM
QuoteAccording to what you entered at Phish.net, today is the 15th anniversary of your first Phish show! To help you reminisce about the 15 long years since walking into Loring Commerce Center at Loring Air Force Base in 1997, we invite you to visit http://phi.sh/970816 for the setlist and download links.

08/16/1997 (Sat) The Great Went - Loring Air Force Base - Limestone, ME
Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Harpua*, Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom, Punch You in the Eye, Ghost, Ginseng Sullivan, You Enjoy Myself, Train Song, Character Zero, The Squirming Coil
Set 2: Wolfman's Brother > Simple** > My Soul, Slave to the Traffic Light***, Rocky Top, Julius
Set 3: Halley's Comet > Cities > Llama > Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Funky Bitch#
E: Contact, Loving Cup,
Comment: 
* - Started with the theme and Jimmy story, picking up where the song stopped last year at the Clifford Ball.
** - Theme from the 'Odd Couple' tease.
*** - Included instrumental intro.
# - Major fireworks display behind the stage as Funky Bitch ends.

Such an awesome trip with my future wife.  After the rain we endured at the Went I was only able to convince her to attend one other festy in Oswego.
What a great day...

Superfreakie

22 YEARS AGO MY FIRST SHOW...began on the 13th but ended after midnight, so on the 14th, which is my birthday. Was driven down to New York with a bunch of musicians I played with. I was the young drummer, they were all 5-7 years older than me. When we played bars, I used to play with a ball cap on and always came in the backdoor.

We drove down to Wetlands, I had never been to NYC, so was pretty overwhelmed simply by the surroundings. They dosed me a little while outside of the city. By the time we got to the bar, shit was real melty. I'm not really sure how I got in, as I am positive they were ID'ing people at the door. I think one of the guys I was with slipped the door man a hundo. I'm not even sure if we had tickets but there was a line to get in as I remember being a little cold.

I seem to remember going up stairs to the club, pretty sure there was some other shit going on on the lower floor, maybe a bar. I do vaguely remember the VW but maybe not. I was so fucking high. Everyone was dressed crazy hippie freak style or glittery beginning raver style, it was like all the cool people from the dead lot were there minus the sketch bags. Everyone was on acid, and I mean everyone. I thought this is what it might have been like at one of the early acid tests. And then the band came on.

I had never even heard them before, no live tapes, no album, nothing. I found a boogie down section in this packed, sweaty, cooking hot club, closed my eyes, and twirled the night away with a couple older hippie chicks (my usual concert routine for those who have witnessed it...well, now they're younger hippie chicks). I would be lying if I said I remembered anything that was played. Sad cause it was bust out city. First Tube, first Landlady, first Buried Alive, first Stash ever played.

But not knowing the songs, it just felt like a continuous stream of really weird, fast, complicated music. Naturally, I had trouble figuring out what was jamming and what was composed. The guitar player was unbelievable, and seemed a step ahead of the band. The closest thing I could compare it to, with my limited musical lexicon at the time, was Zappa. And then an even weirder looking Dude joined them on stage singing and dancing. And then they played La Grange. LOL. Mind fucking blown.   

QuoteLink Thursday, 09/13/1990
The Wetlands Preserve, New York, NY

Set 1: The Landlady[1], Divided Sky, Foam, Tube[2], The Asse Festival[2], Run Like an Antelope, Minute by Minute[3], Buried Alive[2], Paul and Silas[4], Bouncing Around the Room > Possum[5]

Set 2: Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Magilla[2], Stash[2], Goin' Down Slow[4], The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > AC/DC Bag[6] -> Buried Alive[7] -> Take the 'A' Train[8] > Sparks > Reba, Self[9], Dahlia[9], Revolution's Over[9]

Encore: The Lizards

Encore 2: La Grange

[1] First known performance.
[2] Debut.
[3] Phish debut; Fishman on trombone.
[4] Phish debut.
[5] Three Charlie Chan signals as well as Popeye, Oom Pa Pa and Random Note signals.
[6] Charlie Chan and I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart signals.
[7] Charlie Chan signal, two I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart signals.
[8] Buried Alive tease from Trey.
[9] Phish debut; Dude of Life on vocals.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

McGrupp

That's a crazy show...

You saw the first Stash ever! How Superfreakie.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?