News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-7-3 SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by shoreline99, July 04, 2019, 09:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

JUL 3, 2019
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY
SARATOGA PERFORMING ARTS CENTER

Soundcheck: Guyute, Foam, Friend (x2)

SET 1: Fluffhead, Guyute, Martian Monster, Llama, Steam > Poor Heart, Crazy Sometimes > The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Sleep, Drift While You're Sleeping

SET 2: No Men In No Man's Land > Dirt > Plasma -> We Are Come to Outlive Our Brains -> Plasma -> Tweezer Reprise > The Wedge > Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley -> Run Like an Antelope, More > Slave to the Traffic Light

ENCORE: Rock and Roll

NOTES
- First Sleep since 8/17/2011 Chicago, IL
- We Are Come To Outlive Our Brains contains elements of Plasma

ETA: extended Fluffhead intro due to Mike’s bass rig having issues. He ended up swapping basses before continuing.

So, this happened.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Gumbo72203

can we talk about how inappropriate that Wedge call was from Trey?   :crazy: :crazy:

SPAC collectively lifted off for that Tweeprise in a way I don't think I've ever seen, from any band, ever.  That was absolutely insane.  Literally the ENTIRE FUCKING PLACE was losing their collective shit, all together.  I've never seen something like that before.  It was totally unexpected, and completely out of the blue.  Unreal. 

Then he starts Wedge, and people stop dancing and start talking again and the energy just went downhill.  Put Sally in that spot, or Piper, or Mikes....  and you've got a cumshot from the gods.  But the whole show, he seemed reluctant to ever push for lift-off; it was a lot of sleepy playing and Trey struggled on a lot of songs.  He couldn't play many of the Guyute parts, and the whole band got off course during Fluffhead.  I like that they extend that little solo for Page there though.  But even the Arrival jam was cut off, Trey bailing to chords.  Just....  I didn't like that first set but I was SO HAPPY to get Llama, Poor Heart, and Sleep.  Trey's backwards guitar in Llama was sick.  The band modulated a couple times too, and then the jams would just die whereas in other shows it would launch that big bliss peak we all crave. . 

I'm honestly wondering if Trey is having some hand issues tho or if he's sick because he was off all night, with the Antelope gaffes and his inability to play during the jam.  He kept trying to solo and then would bail and just play the chords, all through the jam.  And then the chaos part was cut short too.  Just.... weird.  He goofed Slave too, cutting off Page's first piano break a little bit which even Fishman had to play catch-up for. 

HOWEVER, I would be remiss to say that this show didn't have high points.  No Men > Dirt, Plasma -> We are Come -> Plasma -> Tweeprise was real Phish, and Rock and Roll was a mountain of energy (finally). 

The whole show was just sleepy and they seemed tired.  I'm glad I hauled ass out of work to get there as Fluffhead started but I hope they get some rest because there's a lot of shows left still and Trey was struggling.  4 min Martian Monster and 8 min Sally tell you the tank was empty. 

MVP's for this show were Fish and Mike though, especially Fishman who was doing a heroic job of covering for Trey all night. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

shoreline99

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 04, 2019, 09:31:15 AM
HOWEVER, I would be remiss to say that this show didn't have high points.  No Men > Dirt, Plasma -> We are Come -> Plasma -> Tweeprise was real Phish, and Rock and Roll was a mountain of energy (finally). 

I totally agree with this. I don’t agree that Trey was nearly as bad as you described, but I’ll need to give this a relisten, especially the Fluff->Guyute before I comment. He sounded great to my ears.

One of the sweatiest shows I’ve ever been to, though, and probably one of the more memorable glow stick wars on the lawn. Great to see SunriseVT at setbreak and catch up.

And in other news, my wife still hates Phish.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

shoreline99

sunrisevt

Incidentally, great hugs with shoreline & gumbo last night.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: shoreline99 on July 04, 2019, 09:40:52 AM

I totally agree with this. I don't agree that Trey was nearly as bad as you described, but I'll need to give this a relisten, especially the Fluff->Guyute before I comment. He sounded great to my ears.

One of the sweatiest shows I've ever been to, though, and probably one of the more memorable glow stick wars on the lawn. Great to see SunriseVT at setbreak and catch up.

And in other news, my wife still hates Phish.

I was sweaty too haha and saw Sunrise at the end! 

I'm not trying to throw shade or be a hater, he just was off.  During Guyute, he started speed picking his strings during the segment right before the big bent-string section (I don't know what to call it) because his wrist just could not play the rhythm.  It's the part when everyone is playing a different note and it sounds all crazy and wild, and it starts with Fishman doing the metal-style crash hit punches in out-of-place rhythm spots. 

And in Antelope, he forgot where the arpeggio was during the intro and played it twice lol and THEN sang the lyrics in the wrong spot.  Dude was distracted by something, for sure. 

I'm just always analytical and I like debriefing all this stuff and assessing what was happening.  I'm listening to 7/2 right now and wishing I was at that one because those jams are gooooooooood. 

Still though.....   Wedge after that Tweeprise segment?  Get the fuck outta here with that. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

shoreline99

Quote from: sunrisevt on July 04, 2019, 10:15:02 AM
Incidentally, great hugs with shoreline & gumbo last night.

Yeah Man!

The ride to Plattsburgh after the show sucked though. Total white line fever.

Trey did totally flub the bridge riff in Rock and Roll, though, then was laughing with Page after.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: shoreline99 on July 04, 2019, 10:28:56 AM

Trey did totally flub the bridge riff in Rock and Roll, though, then was laughing with Page after.

A)  What is white line fever?

B) LOL Oh yeah!  I forgot about that hahahahahaha.  Oh man.  I was hanging with my band and we all looked at each other and were like 'haha sure Trey, why not'

to be fair, he hasn't nailed that since like 2000 I think lol. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 04, 2019, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: shoreline99 on July 04, 2019, 10:28:56 AM

A)  What is white line fever?

B) LOL Oh yeah!  I forgot about that hahahahahaha.  Oh man.  I was hanging with my band and we all looked at each other and were like 'haha sure Trey, why not'

to be fair, he hasn't nailed that since like 2000 I think lol.

I'd argue that the only time he actually "nailed it" was 10/31/98. Every single time after was botched in some way.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

WhatstheUse?

It's a shame the Wedge has become a song I'm almost bummed to hear these days -- solely because of where it's placed.

It's such a great tune but usually seems to abruptly end jams mid second set.  It just seems like a 1st set tune, imo. And... you know, I know best.
Bring in the dude!

mbw

So, Trey botched some shit, there were some energy killing calls, some good stuff, and you had fun?

Sounds like you saw a 3.0 Phish show.