News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ISO - Phish 12/31/99 best source

Started by Gumbo72203, January 29, 2020, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Hey guys, been a long time since I did any torrenting but I'm looking to get Cypress onto my computer again.  I have no idea what my source was years ago, so I was hoping you guys could give me some insights to save time on the Phish Lossless Audio Sources page.  Do I just go for Schoeps?  Is the Neumann better?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. 

Someone put this source up on a FB group but has no ID for the signal path (Ghost):  https://www.sendspace.com/file/v7h0qd
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ph92

I can't remember the exact source number. But I do remember, after hours of painstaking source comparison, the best source to my ears is one that is out of balance. One of the channels is significantly louder than the other. But it's the clearest source IMO. Hope that helps! Good luck. Also, I don't recall any other sources being this out of balance, so it's noticeable. You can easily correct it by eq'ing.

Maybe someone can chime in here.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mattstick

The U89s were the most popular source, a bit on the boomy side.

More recently some new sources or transfers were circulated, I liked both of these -

https://etreedb.org/shn/76533
(FOB) Schoeps mk4 > kc5 > cmc6 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Apogee AD-1000 > Sony D100 (@ 44.1 kHz); Sony PCM-R500 > Tascam HD-P2 > WaveLab 5.01b (fades, splices) > CD Wave v1.95 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8 ); Taped by Dave Flaschner; Transferred by Jason Sobel

https://etreedb.org/shn/123836
(FOB) AKG 460b/ck8 > Lunatec V2 > Sony SBM-1 > Sony TCD-D8; Sony PCM-R500 > Marantz PMD-661 > cd wave > tlh (16b/48khz); Taped by JK; Transferred by John M.

ph92

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ytowndan

I haven't kept up with sources in ages, but I used to swear by the u89s.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Caravan2001

There are a lot of great sources for this show.  The Flaschner Schoeps is very good and the U89 is pretty classic.  Those were the two biggies I think.  There is another really good FOB Schoeps as well, but can't recall who's it is.  I'd have to dig through my HDs.  It is the one that is on Relisten, the MK4Vs transferred by Jeff Patton The fresh transfer of there Flaschner that Matt gives the link to is maybe where I would start but I have not heard the AKG and really like AKG pulls so I am going to go grab that now.  Really are so many HQ sources, it's hard to pick one or go wrong with one IMO.  I wish Relisten had multiple sources to pick from like the do for GD, but since Phish isn't on the archive all they can pull from is Phish'in....

mbw

Haven't listened, bit the John M. AKG's are usually money.

GBL

Download as many as you can and then decide for yourself
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Gumbo72203

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 29, 2020, 11:37:44 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on January 29, 2020, 12:40:19 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place. 

??

A long while ago there seemed to be heavy policing as to asking for things in the correct place, that's all.  Since this wasn't a specific source request, I figured I'd be safe. 

Hopefully will dig into all of these tonight, as I have no band stuff to do or work.... and the girlfriend is working :) 

Superfreakie

The really good FOB Schoeps that Caravan mentioned is: ph1999-12-31.mk21h.74677.flac16

It's much better than the Flashner Schoeps FOB which is really quite muffled.

A major difference between it and the aforementioned U89 is the soundstage. The U89 is definitely much broader, and not because of the lopsided levels, whereas the mk21 is pretty tight and upfront. Taste plays a big factor in choosing between the two.     

Regrettably, the mk21s were not run the night before, or the source hasn't circulated. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Gumbo72203

If anyone can hop on that above-mentioned FOB Schoeps that Superfreakie noted, that would be awesome.  Etree says one seeder, but i'm not connecting at all. 

Thanks everyone!!!

Playing now.  Could use a touch more Mike, but Fish's kick drum is THUMPING.  This is nice. 

Gumbo72203

man, it's too bad that this Schoeps doesn't exist for 12/30.  This source sounds god damn amazing.  I love this Down with Disease so much.   

Superfreakie

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on February 15, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
man, it's too bad that this Schoeps doesn't exist for 12/30.  This source sounds god damn amazing.  I love this Down with Disease so much.

It's strange that more people don't hold this source in higher esteem - although it is possible many have not heard it as the usual suspect tapers are assumed to be better without A/B comparisons. (as an aside, I should have specified that the Flaschner source is muffled due to being in a hat for the first set - it does get better afterwards)