News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Sony is not going to lower the prices, as far as I know, they are going to stay the same, but think they are coming out with a 100 gig, which will be $599, and then at some point, they'll discontinue the 40 gig like they did with the 20 and 60 gig models...

VA $l!m

Quote from: caravan2001 on July 11, 2008, 12:46:52 AM
Sony is not going to lower the prices, as far as I know, they are going to stay the same, but think they are coming out with a 100 gig, which will be $599, and then at some point, they'll discontinue the 40 gig like they did with the 20 and 60 gig models...

even with the fact that working adults our age represent a share of the gaming market consumer, it still seems like sony is taking the elitist high road when it comes to their approach. i dont see much of a future for them with this generation of consoles. its really unfortunate considering the revolutionary numbers they put up with the PS2. :|
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

well, they are losing a TON of money on these consoles even at the their current pricepoint, but I really think that they are gaining a little bit marketshare with some of the exclusive releases.  Still though, they are not doing themselves any favors by pricing themselves so high....But I will say, after having the system for about a month now, I LOVE it.  I've never played a 360 though, so I can't compare......I haven't even gone online yet, which is one of the best things about the 360, even though it costs $$ and Sony's is free....I just like the graphics.....they kill.....real reason I chose the Sony over the 360 was that I was going to drop $300 on a Blueray machine and decided to go for the game console too....

VA $l!m

Quote from: caravan2001 on July 11, 2008, 07:50:08 PM
well, they are losing a TON of money on these consoles even at the their current pricepoint, but I really think that they are gaining a little bit marketshare with some of the exclusive releases.  Still though, they are not doing themselves any favors by pricing themselves so high....But I will say, after having the system for about a month now, I LOVE it.  I've never played a 360 though, so I can't compare......I haven't even gone online yet, which is one of the best things about the 360, even though it costs $$ and Sony's is free....I just like the graphics.....they kill.....real reason I chose the Sony over the 360 was that I was going to drop $300 on a Blueray machine and decided to go for the game console too....

mos def.
actually i was just watching viewer mail on XPlay and someone asked about sony's future in the market and their answer was that they relied on the bluray to sell the console up to this point and it worked, but they dont really make as much cash from movies, so what they really need is a onslaught of original software...
apparently the game "little, big planet" holds hopes of a breakthrough for them as a origianl huge title, and they DO have many internal studios with games in production , but for some reason they are just funked out up to this point. from what i've followed over the last two years, i'd say they have one more year to get their shit seriously rolling or its dunso for the PS3.

ONE QUESTION about the PS#, if you or anyone else knows:

as far as their ONLINE server/system-- have they set up a central server like XBOX LIVE yet, or is it still like it was for PS2 games and each game has its own individual server, supportd by gamefly or whatver independent team??
any clue?
i'm really curious... one thing that keeps me playing XBOX online is the quality of their server and the attention they keep to it with updates and fixes and patches and such. COVERSELY one of the things that made me RUN away from PS2 online was the HORRible LAGGY and glitched out games that were a result of independent and non upkept servers. fact, but does anyone know about the PS3 online?? i'm seriously considering buying one this fall when SOCOM comes out, but if that sh-- LAGGED or wasnt updated, i'd be super f-in dissapointed after being able to play all the FPSs on XBOX live with no such problems.

Caravan2001

I believe they now how one central server, pretty sure.  Don't know about the quality/lag issues, but I hope to set it up this weekend.  I have wifi in my house, and thePS3 already sees it, I just have to finish the setup and then log on....I'll let you know how it works....

rowjimmy

tet

ugh, i figured the rumors were just underestimating the price cuts, with Elites getting cheaper too.  guess not! 

the Wii just will not do for this long of a time!  must have XBOX!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

yeah, i'm really bummed i'm going to miss the live microsoft press conference coverage from E3 on G4tv tomorrow b/c my boss f-ed up and scheduled me on my day off. :evil:
hopefully they'll be replaying it later in the day though.

tet

ah sweet, the benefit of working from home  :-D

any idea what time that is on??  will they be interrupting it with commercials again?
-Phish

VA $l!m

Monday July 14th
1PM ET – Half-hour pre-show followed by the entire Microsoft Press Conference – live and commercial free on-air and online.
6PM ET – EA Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com
7PM ET – Two-hour E3 Preview Show featuring the following DEMOS:

* Fallout 3**
    * Fable 2
    * Halo Wars
    * Ghostbusters : The Videogame
    * Silent Hill: Homecoming

**theDOPE.

tet

sweetness.  just found the whole week schedule:

Monday July 14th
1PM ET – Half-hour pre-show followed by the entire Microsoft Press Conference – live and commercial free on-air and online.
6PM ET – EA Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com
7PM ET – Two-hour E3 Preview Show featuring the following DEMOS:

* Fallout 3
    * Fable 2
    * Halo Wars
    * Ghostbusters : The Videogame
    * Silent Hill: Homecoming

Tuesday July 15th
12PM ET – Live on-air and online streaming, commercial free coverage of the Nintendo Press conference
2:30PM ET - Live on-air and online streaming, commercial free coverage of the Sony Press conference
5:30PM ET – Ubisoft Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com
6:00PM ET– Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

* Gears of War 2
    * Resistance 2
    * Killzone 2
    * Rock Band 2
    * Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    * Prince of Persia
    * Street Fighter IV
    * Lord of the Rings: Conquest
    * Dark Void

7:30PM ET – CAPCOM Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com
11:30PM ET – ACTIVISION Press Conference - Streaming coverage on G4tv.com

Wednesday July 16th
5:30PM ET - KONAMI Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com
6PM ET – Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

* Resident Evil 5
    * FarCry 2
    * LittleBigPlanet
    * Dead Space
    * Spore
    * InFamous
    * Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
    * Left 4 Dead
    * Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe
    * Crysis: Warhead
    * Shaun White Snowboarding
    * Deadly Creatures

Thursday, July 17th
6PM ET – Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

* Mirror's Edge
    * Madden NFL '09
    * Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
    * Tom Clancy's EndWar
    * Project Origin
    * Banjo Kazooie
    * Face Breaker

Friday, July 18th
7PM ET – Attack of the Show E3 Wrap-up Special
8PM ET – X-Play "Best of E3" Special
-Phish

VA $l!m

yeah i posted it about 8 posts back!  :lol: :wink: :clap:

tet

-Phish

VA $l!m

:-D

well, i'm watching the replay of the press conference now...

but i did watch the G4 coverage earlier tonite which was a lot more in depth.

i guess the only real big news today was XBOXs new partnership with netflix and the announcement of fianl fantasy 13 migrating to the 360.

though on tonite's g4 coverage the demos were dope.
in fact  i need to go online right now and DL the new Too human demo!!!!

most impressive thing i saw so far though was by far the FALLOUT 3 demo.
that game looks like the coolest thing ever to come to a console.
it is going to blow people away.

tet

yeah Fallout 3 really looked amazing.  i'm also pretty pumped for Gears of War 2 and Fable 2. 

overall, a big day for the Xbox, with Final Fantasy XIII coming to the 360 - i don't think anyone expected that bombshell today. 

i'm a bit curious how the Netflix will work.  will it be a Passport/Live account login at Netflix, or can i link ANY Netflix account to my Live account?  my roommate has Netflix, i have the Live account - it would be nice to combine the 2!!
-Phish