News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheIguana

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 20, 2008, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: TheIguana on November 20, 2008, 11:17:37 AM
If you missed the new South Park last night they had a W@W cameo in the beginning...about 30 seconds in

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/210813

and my 360 got received by the repair center finally!! 

Dude... that just makes me want to go home and play.

tell me about it.  I've been without an xbox for a week now and it's getting so bad i was going to buy the PS2 version.  but.. no online play, only campaign  :-(  waste of money

also W@W for xbox360 and PS3 has this cool detailed online multiplayer stat engine...here are my stats before my xbox blew up....

http://www.callofduty.com/profile/3227614/stats/

pretty friggin sweet
We were put here to help each other through this thing...whatever "this thing" is. Kurt Vonnegut

rowjimmy

tet

bah, those aren't stats!!  check out the sort of shit Bungie does for Halo 3...

main landing page:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=stank%20kind

my personal weapon stats, sortable of course:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/CareerStats.aspx?player=stank%20kind%20%20%20%20%20&social=False

heatmaps (where i killed or died on each map):

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/HeatMapStats.aspx?player=stank%20kind

or how about a history of every game i've played?

http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerStatsHalo3.aspx?player=stank%20kind

i mean, yeah, it's cool that CoD has finally implemented some sort of way to look at stats on the internets, but come on...  they can obviously do much more than that!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Those heatmaps are freakin cool.

The COD page does have a career summary if you expand the stats.

It also has heatmaps and a graphic showing where he shoots people (as in head shot, arm, etc...)

TheIguana

The expand button does show just about everything bungie tracks.  It looks like COD finally caught up with the online stats.

I think the map death/kill map is the most useful because it helps to know (especially on new to me maps) where to expect some action.

also my xbox is on the way back!!  Took less than a day to repair and they extended the warranty three more months  :beers:
We were put here to help each other through this thing...whatever "this thing" is. Kurt Vonnegut

VA $l!m

Quote from: TheIguana on November 21, 2008, 02:56:39 PM
The expand button does show just about everything bungie tracks.  It looks like COD finally caught up with the online stats.

I think the map death/kill map is the most useful because it helps to know (especially on new to me maps) where to expect some action.

also my xbox is on the way back!!  Took less than a day to repair and they extended the warranty three more months  :beers:

yeah, i'm prayin my 360 holds up now that i got the RRoD dealt with. my bud here in Neb. continues to have multiple issues with his 360 even after he went through the RRod sh-. now his drive is all f--ed up and they wont cover sh--.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

tet

Quote from: TheIguana on November 21, 2008, 02:56:39 PM

nice, didn't notice that.  thanks for the tip ;)

still though, it being based in Flash totally sucks for iPhone users...  we've even got a nifty web-app that pulls data from bungie's site and collates it on a nice & neat screen formatted just for the iPhone. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

welp... the wife and i just bought a WII for xmas!  its gonna be hard not to play it for the next month!

questions....

- what more do i need?  another controller obviously, but do i need a memory card or anything?

- she wants a FIT & shaun white snowboarding, so i'll be on the look out for that.

- is the racing wheel worth it?  can you play mario kart without it?

- gonna get the lightsaber add ons for the kids, anyone played the clone wars lightsaber duel game yet?  definitely getting him lego star wars..

- games to get?  its a family entertainment piece for me since i have my xbox 360 already, so serious gaming will still take place on the 360.  but what games are fun for the family or in a party setting?  i was looking at "games party 2",  mario kart, etc.

- what about online... what do i need there?  does it have wireless built in?  do i need to hook it up via ethernet?  whats the deal?

- also how about hooking it up to my HDTV?  component?  HDMI?  i think i might have to buy an HDMI hookup for the xbox so i can hook up the wii via component? sound right?

lemme have it!  i'm stoked... hope i can find the fit!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PhishPhan

Quote from: jedifunk on November 22, 2008, 11:45:20 AM
welp... the wife and i just bought a WII for xmas!  its gonna be hard not to play it for the next month!

questions....

- what more do i need?  another controller obviously, but do i need a memory card or anything?

- she wants a FIT & shaun white snowboarding, so i'll be on the look out for that.

- is the racing wheel worth it?  can you play mario kart without it?

- gonna get the lightsaber add ons for the kids, anyone played the clone wars lightsaber duel game yet?  definitely getting him lego star wars..

- games to get?  its a family entertainment piece for me since i have my xbox 360 already, so serious gaming will still take place on the 360.  but what games are fun for the family or in a party setting?  i was looking at "games party 2",  mario kart, etc.

- what about online... what do i need there?  does it have wireless built in?  do i need to hook it up via ethernet?  whats the deal?

- also how about hooking it up to my HDTV?  component?  HDMI?  i think i might have to buy an HDMI hookup for the xbox so i can hook up the wii via component? sound right?

lemme have it!  i'm stoked... hope i can find the fit!

I have had a Wii since last April, so I can help you here.

There is no removable memory system for the Wii (more, or less) so you don't need any memory cards or anything like that. Although it does have an SD slot where you can back up save data, view pictures, videos, and play MP3s (but only in two games).

You should buy the racing Wheel bundle that comes with Mario Kart. When I bought mine, they were together for $50, which means the Wheel was free. It's works pretty well too.

Some fun games that you and your family might enjoy would include Mario Party 8, ExciteTruck (one of the two games that can play MP3s), Rayman Raving Rabbids ($20 now, as the sequel is available soon, which is compatible with the Wii Fit Board), and Wii Play. Wii Play is $50 and includes a free Remote, so this would be a great deal if you are looking for another controller.

The internet and online play is free. The Wii has a wireless component built-in.

The Wii is HDMI compatible, although it doesn't render the visuals HD. It does make a significant difference though.

Hope this helped, Good Luck!

TheIguana

Quote from: PhishPhan on November 22, 2008, 01:17:02 PM
Some fun games that you and your family might enjoy would include Mario Party 8, ExciteTruck (one of the two games that can play MP3s), Rayman Raving Rabbids ($20 now, as the sequel is available soon, which is compatible with the Wii Fit Board), and Wii Play. Wii Play is $50 and includes a free Remote, so this would be a great deal if you are looking for another controller.

right on!
Rayman Raving Rabbids is a really fun game, a must have for the Wii imo

jedifunk

does the mario kart bundle come with another wiimote?  or just the wheel?
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PhishPhan

Quote from: jedifunk on November 22, 2008, 03:59:41 PM
does the mario kart bundle come with another wiimote?  or just the wheel?

Just the Wheel. But like I mentioned, if you guy the Wii Play bundle, it's like buying a controller and a $10 game.

VA $l!m

i know you said that you were looking for family games, but if you ever decide to grab something mature for yourself get "no more heroes". very dope game. def. NOT a family game though.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

yeah, i was looking at other games on metacritic today, and nothing for wii was getting very good reviews :|

i think i'll be happy with games like snowboarding, lego starwars, and golf when using the wii, its all about interactivity, which i'm really excited for!!!!!

i'm mostly excited because the wife is excited... i've only known a few other people that are as anti-video games as she is... so for her to be stoked on this is the cake... getting to play a wii is simply the icing!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Declan

Quote from: tet on November 21, 2008, 11:20:49 AM
bah, those aren't stats!!  check out the sort of shit Bungie does for Halo 3...

my personal weapon stats, sortable of course:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/CareerStats.aspx?player=stank%20kind%20%20%20%20%20&social=False

You remember how you got the killtastrophe?

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.