News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

decided to go for it with the "games on demand" for assassin's creed.

first off, the game took about 1.5 hrs to DL (7GB)... not bad, not great.

2ndly, this game is the SHIT!  its basically the GTA of the crusades... open game play, lots to do, and fun as hell...

yeah, as most reviews say, it gets a bit repetitive, but thats ok cuz the repetition is awesome... my favorite part is sneaking up and stabbin dudes!  look out.

anyhoo, just put in over 6+ hrs of game time and now my weeks all fucked cuz i stayed up way too late.  ahh the joys of video games
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Is the ability to d/l games the only thing that you miss with the 'arcade' 360? I'm thinking of taking the plunge, but I'm wavering between spending about $199 for the arcade or $299 for a PS3....
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

so if you spend $299 you wouldn't get an xbox?  i'm confused.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I'm actually kind of pondering the xbox vs ps3 thing, myself.

I like the idea of getting a lot more blu-ray dollars with the ps3. But I want to be sure I'm able to do netflix streaming and crap like that too which I know the xbox does.

jedifunk

from what i've heard, netflix is coming to ps3.

personally i have no interest in blu-ray... i'm 100% committed to online avenues (streaming, online netflix, torrent DLs then watch, etc).  i have no use for a physical disc of any sort.

if i could get all my games via download, i'd do that too... can't wait till we're there.  another year or so i think.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 10:24:42 AM

That's the size of it.

I don't want to start some 'console war' thread on the paug. I've got zero interest in that, and there are lots of boards for those shenanigans.

The way I see it, as a financial investment, I'd go with a PS3 for equal dollars. Partly for BluRay, partly because it's getting up to speed in terms of releases (can't deny the X360 once had a huge lead in this dept), and partly because the PS2 lasted so long. Now that it doesn't cost any more than the 360, the PS3 looks tempting.

Except for those $199 Arcades. There's a promotion this week where you buy an Arcade at regular price ($200) and get a full-priced title for free (up to $60). So basically I'm up and running and fragging online with Modern Warfare 2 for $200 as opposed to $360 (or $340, since MW2 is on sale...) . From that perspective, the Arcade is really tempting.
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

Quote from: Alumni on December 29, 2009, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 10:24:42 AM

That's the size of it.

I don't want to start some 'console war' thread on the paug. I've got zero interest in that, and there are lots of boards for those shenanigans.

The way I see it, as a financial investment, I'd go with a PS3 for equal dollars. Partly for BluRay, partly because it's getting up to speed in terms of releases (can't deny the X360 once had a huge lead in this dept), and partly because the PS2 lasted so long. Now that it doesn't cost any more than the 360, the PS3 looks tempting.

Except for those $199 Arcades. There's a promotion this week where you buy an Arcade at regular price ($200) and get a full-priced title for free (up to $60). So basically I'm up and running and fragging online with Modern Warfare 2 for $200 as opposed to $360 (or $340, since MW2 is on sale...) . From that perspective, the Arcade is really tempting.
i wasn't trying to bait you into a console war discussion... just trying to understand your thinking here.

i'll be honest, i've only ever seen a ps3 in action a handful of times, so i really have no idea of its possibilities.  i do know that i love the integrations that M$ has provided with the xbox and xbox live.

i get facebook, twitter, last.fm, game downloads, movies, netflix, tv, wifi, i can stream stuff from my mac to it, etc, etc.

i believe the ps3 does all that too but really don't know.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Netflix is already on ps3 but it's done quite differently than the xbox (requires a free disc from netflix???)

The media streaming from my pc (or mac) is very appealing and I've yet to get a clear answer in my research as to whether or not the ps3 does it to my satisfaction...

It just comes down to the fact that, if' I'm adding a device to my entertainment system, I'd like to modernize the media compatibility (which means blu-ray) and integrating functionality (net access, local and web media streaming, etc.) Adding proper gaming is more than a bonus but this machine is not just for me and my kicks so it has to do those other things.

jedifunk

RJ check out rivet (http://cynicalpeak.com/rivet/ )

works great on xbox with my mac, so i'd have to assume it works just as well on the ps3.  very slick.  it will let you play at file formats that native machine can (xbox/ps3)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 01:46:29 PM
RJ check out rivet (http://cynicalpeak.com/rivet/ )

works great on xbox with my mac, so i'd have to assume it works just as well on the ps3.  very slick.  it will let you play at file formats that native machine can (xbox/ps3)

Very cool.
Thanks.

Alumni

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 11:07:11 AM

i wasn't trying to bait you into a console war discussion... just trying to understand your thinking here.

I didn't think you were. I was just getting it out of the way to be safe -- didn't want to see the thread detour.

Looks like all the streaming stuff is possible even with just the Xbox360 Arcade. Very cool. Point Xbox.
But Playstation Network is $40/yr cheaper than Xbox Live Gold (i.e., it's free of charge). Point Sony.
Also -- Xbox Live Gold has more features than PSN. Point Xbox.
Netflix streaming still has subpar selection of titles. Point cable company :p

Gah. Decisions, decisions.  :-)
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

Netflix streaming is adding titles constantly. Not just movies, either. TV shows...

Which of these consoles works with Hulu, btw?

jedifunk

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 29, 2009, 02:39:18 PM
Netflix streaming is adding titles constantly. Not just movies, either. TV shows...

Which of these consoles works with Hulu, btw?
neither afaik

as for netflix adding titles... its yes and no.  while they keep adding titles, its all mostly older shit that i could care less about.  there's no harry potter (for my son), no LOTR, no bourne movies, etc.

at least lost is on there, but still... most of the good stuff is missing.

that said, i've watched a LOT of really good indie films and documentaries that i never would have without it.  its a great service to have for free
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Considering that I'm already a netflix subscriber, having the streaming service connected to my tv is a good added value.

VA $l!m

i'll chime in here, since i'm the guy with both consoles and a fanboy of neither at this point.
a year ago when i bought my PS3 i'd have told you to get a 360.
now i'd def tell you to get a PS3.
its hard to argue the point by point thing, but bottom line is i never fire up my 360 anymore, and i buy all of my multiplatform games for Ps3. why? well... for the most part the fact that i'm ass broke PS3 allows me to get online and play for free. though i also have bought games that werent online games for PS3 b/c there is a slight egde in performance and graphics for most titles on the PS3.
i own a grand total of ZERO blu ray movies, so thats not a deal breaker for me, but the dvd upscale on PS3 is better and the audio options are better as well.
also, as a multitasking machine, the  internet browser is a very nice thing to have if even just for finding game related web info.
most importantly is that within the last year exclusive titles has taken a Major swing in favor of sony, IMO. unless your a HALO or gears of war fanboy, sony's independent studios kick out a much larger variety of triple A titles--from KIllzone2, Infamous, ratchet and clank, UNCHARTED 2--GAME OF THE YEAR!!, to MAG, etc,etc..... its been a big year, with something for everyone.
i almost wanted to cry last night at Bestbuy looking at the 250GB PS3slim which is the same price as i paid for my Phat 80GB just a year ago.
also, i will say that generally the hardware is More reliable, though MS has improved overall and most of the RROD days are long gone.
netflix, twitter, facebook, etc is all either up and running or coming to PS3 just like 360, though i wouldnt know or care personally... if your really looking for a seriosu multitasker for such things its a tough call, because if you have no problem throwing down the $ for XBL i will say that they are a bit more on the cusp of whats current compared to sony. AND every month dont forget that the CEO of sony is caught talking about starting to charge online fees, so it could happen or not at any time.
then, finally there is the future... i talked to a guy yesterdaythat works for INSOmniac-the makers of REsistance fall of man and ratchet and clank--one of SONY's biggest independent studios, and he said basically the PS4 is probably another 3 or 4 years off, so they are very committed to riding out the PS3 10 year model, just as they still are majorly supporting the PS2 to this day.
Microsoft on the other hand the outlook is two fold. 1. they will be moving past the base 360 much sooner, though from what we hear first we will get NATAL, which will be 'add-on' hardware to be used with the base 360. A BIG reason fo rme not to sell my 360 personally(...besides MASS EFFECT 2, the only exclusive title i care about thats out later this month!).

ok, yata yata yata, bottom line, as of 2010 slim says get a PS3, unless you prefer to play online shooters with racist and ignorant fools that act like they are 14 years old, then get a 360 and pray for your soul.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-