News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars

Started by redrum, December 30, 2007, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on January 09, 2020, 07:41:37 PM

I really enjoyed The Mandalorian. 

I definitely enjoyed the "Star Wars Canon" episodes more than the more Star Trek-style standalone episodes, and every once in a while the effects looked like a TV show and not a movie.

Bring on more Star Wars content Disney+
agreed on all.
was pretty fun lil series.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mistercharlie

My wife's Tattoo artist, who is also her sisters boyfriend, Clint, came up with Boba Fetus to out-cute 'Baby Yoda'.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Bobafett

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 22, 2020, 02:24:23 PM
My wife's Tattoo artist, who is also her sisters boyfriend, Clint, came up with Boba Fetus to out-cute 'Baby Yoda'.

:clap:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

emay

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

I don't know how to post his video here, but he got the idea after doing a Baby Yoda tattoo the other day. It's up on his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/clintonmclovin/

(Side note, the constellation surrounded by fern leaves and flowers tattoo is my wife's new one)
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Just watched the Project 4k77 release of the original Star Wars, as it originally looked.
It's amazing.

Here's info on this, if you're curious:
https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

And the tl;dr outtake:

Is this an upscale?

No, 97% of project 4K77 is from a single, original 1977 35mm Technicolor release print, scanned at full 4K, cleaned at 4K, and rendered at 4K.

Who did this?

Team Negative 1 (TN1) – the same crew who brought you The Silver Screen Edition (SSE) three years ago. TN1 are not professional film restoration experts, they are just Star Wars fans, like you.

Why do this?

You mean apart from the fact that there hasn't been a new transfer of the original film since 1993 (the 2006 Bonus DVDs used the 1993 laserdisc master tapes) and George Lucas pretty much denies this version ever existed? This is the version I grew up watching, over and over again, and I'm afraid technology has moved on to the point where the old VHS, betamax, CED, laserdisc and 2006 Bonus DVD just don't look good enough to watch on modern HDTV and 4K UHD Televisions / Home theater projectors. I wanted to show the film to my kids, and I wanted them to see the original version that I enjoyed at their age – not the one with the already dated looking CGI, over saturated colors and a strong magenta tint.

rowjimmy

dammit.
Gonna need that.

tet

downloading - this is way better than the de-specialized editions, which i've been happiest with so far.

quality looks INSANE
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

cactusfan

Quote from: tet on September 18, 2020, 11:46:43 AM
downloading - this is way better than the de-specialized editions, which i've been happiest with so far.

quality looks INSANE

Yes. Through a circuitous route, I've acquired a blu-ray of it (and of Jedi (they're still working on Empire)), and it's just beautiful.
Actually puts one back in the '70s watching it, which is great. It's such a '70s movie, with such great '70s special effects, while at the same time being so different from anything else of its era.

The special editions are an incomprehensible muddle in comparison, especially in terms of look and feel.

rowjimmy

Just saw that they're running Empire in theaters on 9/25.
Guess they haven't heard about the deadly virus??

kellerb

I keep redownloading this in higher and higher quality.  Just like the rest of May '77!

Hicks

Is the quality really better though?

The comparisons to I've seen say/show that it's more authentic to the 70s theatrical print, but not necessarily higher quality than the Despecialized Edition. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: Hicks on September 18, 2020, 11:22:05 PM
Is the quality really better though?

The comparisons to I've seen say/show that it's more authentic to the 70s theatrical print, but not necessarily higher quality than the Despecialized Edition.

It might be a matter of taste. The 4k77 is taken almost completely from a single print, with the point of making it resemble as closely as possible the theatrical presentation. So there's film grain and softness, just like with film, as well as differences in color timing. Whereas the despecialized is taken from many sources with the goal of creating something as close as possible to what a home release would look like.

I really liked the look and feel of the 4k77.

Seems as though word on Jedi is that the new 4k83 version beats the despecialized hands down. Going to check that one out soon.

Last night I watched the Project D+80 Empire. Very nice. Though not as beautiful as the 4k77 Star Wars. But a 4k Empire is on the horizon...

cactusfan