News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

we're moving

Started by guyforget, May 31, 2011, 01:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: guyforget on June 01, 2011, 03:47:24 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on June 01, 2011, 03:39:57 PM
Just wondering, why the move?

our needs are different than they used to be and our dedicated server is kind of overkill.  $$$.
Ah, I see. Thanks for all your time and effort man!
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: guyforget on June 01, 2011, 03:14:11 PM
hate to say it, but get your LST whore on tonight because you'll probably wake up tomorrow to a few days w/out week4paug.net

At first I was getting excited to pad my post count.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Are you just moving DNS?  That usually doesn't take too long.  They say up to 48 hours, but thats to sync with Joe Pimpleface (92) in his house with his DNS server.  My experience in doing this on a corporate level is that it usually takes no more than a couple of hours to propogate 90%.  My suggestion would be to change the TTL's ahead of time, so that they end up propogating faster.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 01, 2011, 03:56:19 PM
Quote from: guyforget on June 01, 2011, 03:14:11 PM
hate to say it, but get your LST whore on tonight because you'll probably wake up tomorrow to a few days w/out week4paug.net

At first I was getting excited to pad my post count.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Are you just moving DNS?  That usually doesn't take too long.  They say up to 48 hours, but thats to sync with Joe Pimpleface (92) in his house with his DNS server.  My experience in doing this on a corporate level is that it usually takes no more than a couple of hours to propogate 90%.  My suggestion would be to change the TTL's ahead of time, so that they end up propogating faster.

uber nerdy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

ph92

Hey man, my face is pimple-free. So why dont you backoff ;-)
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

This matches my professional experience as well.

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 01, 2011, 04:48:22 PM

My professional experience with computers involves smacking them until they do what I want them to (in a fashion very similar to my professional experience with hoes)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: phil on June 01, 2011, 04:51:18 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 01, 2011, 04:48:22 PM

My professional experience with computers involves smacking them until they do what I want them to (in a fashion very similar to my professional experience with hoes)

I didn't know you worked in IT.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

PIE-GUY

Reminds me of a funny story - not a short one, so bare with me:

I'm at this IT conference for IBM a few years back. The speaker for lunch is the guy who invented "ctrl-alt-delete" as an escape hatch. Anyway, he's talking about IBM's server diagnostic tools and how they help you determine what's wrong with your server. He goes on to compare the old the old servers without said tools to a baby who is crying but can't yet speak so it is really hard to know what's wrong.

Upon hearing this, the guy next to me at lunch (a total stranger to me, mind you) leans over and whispers to me, "So, is he saying when my server starts acting up I should shake it really hard?"

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 01, 2011, 05:20:29 PM

I'm at this IT conference for IBM a few years back. The speaker for lunch is the guy who invented "ctrl-alt-delete" as an escape hatch. Anyway, he's talking about IBM's server diagnostic tools and how they help you determine what's wrong with your server. He goes on to compare the old the old servers without said tools to a baby who is crying but can't yet speak so it is really hard to know what's wrong.

Upon hearing this, the guy next to me at lunch (a total stranger to me, mind you) leans over and whispers to me, "So, is he saying when my server starts acting up I should shake it really hard?"

either that or shove a boob in it's face
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 01, 2011, 05:20:29 PM

somehow it always comes back to shaking babies.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

guyforget

well, there are a few things -

we do have to wait for the dns to propagate, but we also have to wait for me to get the place rebuilt.  installing the software package is no big deal - takes a few minutes at best.  but in the past, the database migration has proven to be a little more work than just export > import > yay!  so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. 

i also have to account for my schedule, or lack thereof on some days - when youre in my line of work you never really know when you might walk into work at 1pm and not walk out until midnight, like today.  by the time i take a shower, open a beer and get some food in my stomach itll be 12:30... 

-AD_