News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dinner And A Movie - Halloween Speculation

Started by mistercharlie, October 22, 2020, 01:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

While you're at it, you might want to check out Feats Don't Fail Me Now

Allman's boring???
I hope you don't mean the Duane era. Duane era ABB and that era GD rule the world
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on November 04, 2020, 10:58:07 PM
While you're at it, you might want to check out Feats Don't Fail Me Now

Allman's boring???
I hope you don't mean the Duane era. Duane era ABB and that era GD rule the world

QFMFT.

The slinky, counter-intuitive rhythms (owing heavily to influence be The Meters, I'd bet) of "Down the Road" are a whole swampy universe of their own.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mattstick

This is a bit of weird take but I've really been digging into why I didn't like the 2010 Halloween a bit more -

One reason I didn't like Waiting For Columbus was because it was recreating a live album.

A cool thing about the Costume sets was that they were reproducing recordings that were done in the studio which adds a layer of complexity to the arrangement of the live performance.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2020, 12:13:38 PM
This is a bit of weird take but I've really been digging into why I didn't like the 2010 Halloween a bit more -

One reason I didn't like Waiting For Columbus was because it was recreating a live album.

A cool thing about the Costume sets was that they were reproducing recordings that were done in the studio which adds a layer of complexity to the arrangement of the live performance.

I completely agree. I LOVE WFC, but the Phish cover has gotten very few listens from me.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

I mean WFC is a "live" album but it has so many overdubs it's basically not. I'm not even sure the Tower of Power horns were at the show. I think they were recorded in a studio after the fact. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2020, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 04, 2020, 10:41:20 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2020, 10:20:41 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 04, 2020, 08:13:33 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2020, 01:37:06 AM
The important thing to remember here is that ZZ Top is the shit, and Billy Gibbons is fucking amazing.

Everyone should go listen to their album Tejas right now, because no one ever talks about that one, and sure, other albums have their biggest songs, but Tejas is the best front to back listen.

If you go listen to the first Little Feat album, I'll go crawling around the Zs and get out some ZZTop.

Deal.

You got it.
I actually own those ZZTop records and have heard them before. It'll be fun to pull them out.

If you're doing multiple ZZ albums, I'd most highly recommend ZZ Top's First Album, Tres Hombres, Tejas, and Deguello.
I'm guessing you have vinyl, but just on the off chance you're doing digital, and don't know about this, ZZ's albums, when first released on CD in the '80s, were remastered so badly, so outrageously, the music is borderline unlistenable. So make sure to avoid any '80s masterings.

For the purposes of science, I'll listen to the first three Little Feat albums.

Rio Grande Mud also not to be missed.

cactusfan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 05, 2020, 03:06:58 PM
I mean WFC is a "live" album but it has so many overdubs it's basically not. I'm not even sure the Tower of Power horns were at the show. I think they were recorded in a studio after the fact.

But it is a live album in the sense that covering it you're basically covering a band's greatest hits album. Which is pretty much the same thing as not covering an album at all, but just playing the most popular songs of a particular band.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: cactusfan on November 05, 2020, 04:38:51 PM

But it is a live album in the sense that covering it you're basically covering a band's greatest hits album. Which is pretty much the same thing as not covering an album at all, but just playing the most popular songs of a particular band.

except it's an "album" in the truest sense of the word. Trey talked about it at the time - how it was one of those albums, like Exile and RiL, that was constantly played when they were partying in their younger years.

cactusfan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 05, 2020, 05:17:05 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 05, 2020, 04:38:51 PM

except it's an "album" in the truest sense of the word. Trey talked about it at the time - how it was one of those albums, like Exile and RiL, that was constantly played when they were partying in their younger years.

Well, now we're just into semantics. Yes. It is literally an "album." And so is The Eagles Greatest Hits. Which, sad to say, many of us suffered through a hundred times before realizing we hated the fucking Eagles. That still doesn't free it from being, effectively, Little Feat's greatest hits, which in the context of covering albums for a halloween gag, you must admit feels just a tad wonky. With that said, I'm sure we all secretly wished they'd covered Frampton Comes Alive instead.

Caravan2001

Guessing we will need a separate thread for Thanksgiving DAAM once they announce it.  I'm pulling for Worcester 97 or 98.  I also know they pro-shot 11/27-28/92 so that would be sick too.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 15, 2020, 12:22:24 PM
Guessing we will need a separate thread for Thanksgiving DAAM once they announce it.  I'm pulling for Worcester 97 or 98.  I also know they pro-shot 11/27-28/92 so that would be sick too.

I'd love to have it be 11/27/98 watching that second set would be fun.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 15, 2020, 12:43:17 PM

I'd love to have it be 11/27/98 watching that second set would be fun.

Well we know Trey was having fun :-o

Woostah '98
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

I would love to get some pro-shot 92 from the Cap. Plus, I could see one of Trey's grandma's recipes going along with her dancing on stage on the 28th!

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 15, 2020, 10:20:37 PM

I would love to get some pro-shot 92 from the Cap. Plus, I could see one of Trey's grandma's recipes going along with her dancing on stage on the 28th!

Yeah, that was awesome.

susep

I also know they pro-shot 11/27-28/92 so that would be sick too.

Stash from 11/28/92 is a heater.