News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 29, 2012, 10:59:11 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 29, 2012, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 18, 2012, 10:20:44 AM
Bob Dylan mono box set came in yesterday. Starting from the beginning. 4 songs into the eponymous first album and I gotta say it sounds wonderful.

So this arrived at my house last week too.  I have to say I am VERY impressed with all aspects of it:  packaging, quality, sound quality, attention to detail.  I love how they provide the original paper inner sleeve that was issued for each record but put the actual vinyl in a plastic one.  The records sound amazing, I am only through the second one.  The book is dope with some great pics I have never seen before.  Awesome quality.  I know RJ was looking at this, after receiving this, I would say it's essential.  Not cheap though.  I got a mine from Newbury Comics, $200 with shipping brand new.  You could prolly find a used one for $150 if you're patient. Or maybe a new one.  I shopped it and $200 was about the going rate. Worth every penny.

Currently $168.03 at Amazon. $1.97 cheaper than when I ordered it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYJS5Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Nice. Don't know why I didn't check there.  That's way cheaper than I have seen it for.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Augustus on February 28, 2012, 03:48:18 PM
Grabbed these after work today.

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Buddy Rich - The Monster
Ella Fitzgerald - Get Happy! (Sealed)
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Duran Duran - Rio (Sealed)

Solid pick ups. Selling England By The Pound has been a long time fave. I still have the vinyl I got in 8th grade.

rowjimmy

New Record Store Day app, RSD Guide, now available on iOS and Android.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/2822

Caravan2001

The jazz bomb dropeth:

Miles Davis: Round About Midnight (original, 6 eye, deep groove Mono)
Bill Evans: Conversations With Myself (orignal press, Mono)
Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie: Bird and Diz (original, deep groove Mono on Verve)
Jimmy Smith: The Sermon (Original Blue Note Mono)
Art Blakey/Donald Bird/John Coltrane (Original deep groove on President)
Bird: Charlie Parker Story (original Mono on Verve)

Also got a NM+ copy of first press (UK) of Exile On Main Street (COC 69100, Shorewood Packaging CO.)....Jacket is in VG+ but the vinyl is NM+, looks unplayed with full gloss and nary a mark on it.  Both the inner picture sleeves are are mint too, with original white sleeves as well and all the postcards MINT, FULLY intact, still attached!  It really does not look like this has ever been opened or played.  Pretty stoked on it and amazed at the condition, but I am still jonesing hard for a Canadian Kinney Exile...If anybody runs into one, I will take it in almost any condition....This one is sweet though, can;t wait to give it a spin.... :music:

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 01, 2012, 11:15:26 PM
The jazz bomb dropeth:

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie: Bird and Diz (original, deep groove Mono on Verve)

Also got a NM+ copy of first press (UK) of Exile On Main Street (COC 69100, Shorewood Packaging CO.)....Jacket is in VG+ but the vinyl is NM+, looks unplayed with full gloss and nary a mark on it.  Both the inner picture sleeves are are mint too, with original white sleeves as well and all the postcards MINT, FULLY intact, still attached!  It really does not look like this has ever been opened or played.  Pretty stoked on it and amazed at the condition, but I am still jonesing hard for a Canadian Kinney Exile...If anybody runs into one, I will take it in almost any condition....This one is sweet though, can;t wait to give it a spin.... :music:

Whoa, where did you score all dat?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on March 02, 2012, 01:16:57 AM
The jazz bomb dropeth:

Got the jazz stuff from a guy who was selling his whole collection (had some nuts shit) and I got the Exile on EvilBay.....

Augustus

roggae

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 02, 2012, 11:20:23 AM
The jazz bomb dropeth:

Got the jazz stuff from a guy who was selling his whole collection (had some nuts shit) and I got the Exile on EvilBay.....

any chance he had a jackie mclean "destination out"?
Clearly it's all awful.

Igbo

Quote from: roggae on March 02, 2012, 05:05:07 PM
The jazz bomb dropeth:

I've got a later press on 180 if you want to trade.

roggae

Oh yeah? Check yer PMs.
Clearly it's all awful.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Igbo on March 02, 2012, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: roggae on March 02, 2012, 05:05:07 PM
The jazz bomb dropeth:

I've got a later press on 180 if you want to trade.

Nice!  Ask and ye shall receive!

Caravan2001

Got the Jolida in the mail yesterday.  Swapped out some tubes today and installed it.  Here is a pic of it on it's test run with the cover removed.  Man, is this thing sweet.  On the one hand, every anomaly of the vinyl is now clear as day (dust, crackles, pops), but the sound is so gorgeous.  Listening to the Miles Quintet and Philly Joe Jones' bass is so lush and warm I just want to curl up in it and go to sleep.  Major upgrade....I know people talk about breaking in the tubes and such, but this thing has just sounded amazing from the get.  Very happy with it, highly recommended.

PIE-GUY

Nice. Mine already sounds so much better than it did with a nice Shure cartridge, a decent pre and the Aperions, I can't imagine how much better I could gt it sounding... I am very happy with it right now.

Anyway, inspired by RJ, I have been alphabetizing my collection today. So far I am to through "G"

Turns out I have a ton of doubles... May offer them up for the board at heavily discounted prices. Anyone interested?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

roggae

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 03, 2012, 07:01:48 PM
Got the Jolida in the mail yesterday.  Swapped out some tubes today and installed it.  Here is a pic of it on it's test run with the cover removed.  Man, is this thing sweet.  On the one hand, every anomaly of the vinyl is now clear as day (dust, crackles, pops), but the sound is so gorgeous.  Listening to the Miles Quintet and Philly Joe Jones' bass is so lush and warm I just want to curl up in it and go to sleep.  Major upgrade....I know people talk about breaking in the tubes and such, but this thing has just sounded amazing from the get.  Very happy with it, highly recommended.

Enjoy man. At one point that was the best audio purchase I'd made.
Clearly it's all awful.

barnesy305

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 03, 2012, 10:05:37 PM
Nice. Mine already sounds so much better than it did with a nice Shure cartridge, a decent pre and the Aperions, I can't imagine how much better I could gt it sounding... I am very happy with it right now.

Anyway, inspired by RJ, I have been alphabetizing my collection today. So far I am to through "G"

Turns out I have a ton of doubles... May offer them up for the board at heavily discounted prices. Anyone interested?

I wouldn't mind taking a look.