News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31/15 - Madison Square Garden - New York, New York

Started by VDB, January 01, 2016, 03:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 08, 2016, 08:16:44 AM
Any activity that involves the band playing together in closer quarters than their traditional arena stage setup produces good shit. That, if nothing else, makes this Midnight 'gag' completely worthy. Add to it the kick-ass lights & hourglass which conveyed quite well to those of us at home and then the Houdini move to get back on the main stage... Success!

Totally agree. The production quality was top notch here.  My favorite 'gag' that I've seen.

What else have we gotten in 3.0?

09 - Fishman Cannonball (wasn't at this one...)
10 - Meatstick Madness (that was great - turned my brain to meatsticks)
11 - Steam/Ariel artist/DWD (Mike & Trey on those hydralic lifts was pretty sick..)
12 - Golf theme (loved Kung ringing in the New Year but the golf theme as a whole was just odd)
13 - JEMP Truck set (loved this as well)
14 - Suck to Blow (probably the weakest gag in 3.0 -- I still have nightmares about that explosion behind the stage)
15 - Hourglass (the dudes straight JAMMED into the New Year - what more could ya ask for?!)
Bring in the dude!

VDB

Yeah, I thought Miami's vacuum/Fishman-balloon gag left a bit to be desired.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 08, 2016, 09:46:03 AM

12 - Golf theme (loved Kung ringing in the New Year but the golf theme as a whole was just odd)

This show was the Garden Party. Weird on the face of it but, when you listen to the song and take it in the context of the moment, this is Phish (re)declaring its independence from the giving of fucks.
I love it.

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 08, 2016, 08:16:44 AM
Any activity that involves the band playing together in closer quarters than their traditional arena stage setup produces good shit. That, if nothing else, makes this Midnight 'gag' completely worthy. Add to it the kick-ass lights & hourglass which conveyed quite well to those of us at home and then the Houdini move to get back on the main stage... Success!

Totally agree. The production quality was top notch here.  My favorite 'gag' that I've seen.

What else have we gotten in 3.0?

09 - Fishman Cannonball (wasn't at this one...)
10 - Meatstick Madness (that was great - turned my brain to meatsticks)
11 - Steam/Ariel artist/DWD (Mike & Trey on those hydralic lifts was pretty sick..)
13 - JEMP Truck set (loved this as well)
14 - Suck to Blow (probably the weakest gag in 3.0 -- I still have nightmares about that explosion behind the stage)
15 - Hourglass (the dudes straight JAMMED into the New Year - what more could ya ask for?!)

09 - The cannonball gag kind of confused me, I was high up in the sections too so couldnt really see the whole like roof explosion thing and was confused.
10 - classic phish right here, meatstick, return of the hotdog love it
11- wasnt at this one and just seemed a little weak, almost spinal tap-ish
12 - i thought turning the garden into a garden with games on the floor was awesome a perfect execution, and I mean kung as NYE countdown? you wont get a bust out like that again for NYE, the golf theme went along with the garden party (sweet cover too) and the kung theme
13 - wasnt there for this one, great idea for a gag though
14- seems like they were spent after vegas and phoned this one in.
15 - I feel like they took away from Magnaball visuals with this one. ITs kinda of like a contiunation or a NYE version of the drive in set but instead its a hour glass countdown jam with the trippy visuals projected on the hourglass, great idea and good to see the drive in set influence on this one.

sophist

I must be in the super minority - I hated that Meatstick gag.  I was bored out of my mind. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on January 08, 2016, 10:26:11 AM
I must be in the super minority - I hated that Meatstick gag.  I was bored out of my mind.

I despise that song so... yeah.

eta:
I went back to the post-show review thread and it was just as I remembered it.
People there were largely favorable (aside from Aug who basically didn't hate on it) those at home mostly disparaged the show.

My comprehensive review was as follows:
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 01, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
I think it's cool that they brought the hot dog back.

R.I.P. Captain Beefheart

What little I heard of set one was not adequate to judge any of the music.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 08, 2016, 10:21:04 AM

This show was the Garden Party. Weird on the face of it but, when you listen to the song and take it in the context of the moment, this is Phish (re)declaring its independence from the giving of fucks.
I love it.

I kinda forgot about that. Garden Party was indeed a great cover. Phish being Phishy.
Bring in the dude!

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 08, 2016, 10:34:23 AM

I despise that song so... yeah.

eta:
I went back to the post-show review thread and it was just as I remembered it.
People there were largely favorable (aside from Aug who basically didn't hate on it) those at home mostly disparaged the show.

My comprehensive review was as follows:
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 01, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
I think it's cool that they brought the hot dog back.

R.I.P. Captain Beefheart

What little I heard of set one was not adequate to judge any of the music.
I liked the show enough to not contribute a review  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :tte: :tte: :tte: :tte: :tte: :tte: :tte:
edit to add:  I am referring to 12/31/10. 

jam>

I've seen a few NYE shows over the years and this might be my favorite gag. I missed the JEMP truck though :frustrated:
I agree that this year's is really up there too — egoless jamming in a tee-pee is cool with me. 

Hicks

From the couch the JEMP truck was my favorite, but I would give the hourglass a close second. 

The way they seamlessly jammed into the prerecorded segment was impressive and they did manage to put a new twist on the satellite stage in the middle of the crowd concept, which at this point is a standard arena show move.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Was just listening to this Twist and seriously had, what seemed like, a mini-flashback.  It was awesome.

I remembered exactly how I felt at the time and saw the same indescribable imagery in my head.

What Trey starts up at around 11:30 in this jam is so f'n bad ass to me. Pure evil. The notes, his tone, everything is just spot on. Phish vortex.

Bring in the dude!

VDB

Just here to heap more praise on this NMINML.

They should play every show under a cone.
Is this still Wombat?