News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-02-23 Barcelo Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico - Post Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, February 23, 2019, 11:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

:phish:
2019-02-23
Barcelo Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico

Set I: The Curtain With, Punch You in the Eye > Blaze On > Destiny Unbound, Most Events Aren’t Planned, The Divided Sky, Steam, Chalk Dust Torture

Set II: First Tube, Mike's Song > Weekapaug Groove*, Fuego > Tweezer > Carini > Tweezer > Ghost > Say It To Me S.A.N.T.O.S.

encore: Simple > Martian Monster^ > Kung^^ > BBFCFM**, Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

*First Mike's > Weekapaug since 7/17/98 (4th ever)
^ with Sanity & Death Don’t Hurt Very Long Quotes (also some Spanish Moon quotes in there somewhere)
^^ chanted over Martian Monster groove
** Martian Monster Quotes

westcider

anthrax

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 23, 2019, 11:46:21 PM

:phish:
2019-02-23
Barcelo Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico

Set I: The Curtain With, Punch You in the Eye > Blaze On > Destiny Unbound, Most Events Aren’t Planned, The Divided Sky, Steam, Chalk Dust Torture

Set II: First Tube, Mike's Song > Weekapaug Groove*, Fuego > Tweezer > Carini > Tweezer > Ghost > Say It To Me S.A.N.T.O.S.

encore: Simple > Martian Monster^ > Kung^^ > BBFCFM**, Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

*First Mike's > Weekapaug since 7/17/98 (4th ever)
^ with Sanity & Death Don’t Hurt Very Long Quotes (also some Spanish Moon quotes in there somewhere)
^^ chanted over Martian Monster groove
** Martian Monster Quotes

Wait... LivePhish.com has S.A.N.T.O.S. after Ghost.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

That Ghost is only 5 seconds longer than the shitty-ass UIC '11 version.  :-o

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

I was ready for bed after the second set. They started Simple and I checked out. Check my phone after taking a leak and saw Martian Monster so I had to pull the stream back up on my phone.
Wild encore was wild.

First set actually picks up somewhere in PYITE/Blaze On and was really great from a Deatiny to the finish.

Second set was wacky. First Tube included unplanned acrobatics from Trey. Mike’s Groove was not too great. Fuego has no jam but it had a great Tweezer instead. Carini was also great. After that they pushed through a miniature ghost and wrapped with a fun SANTOS.

Not a bad wrap to the weekend despite the ups and downs.

Hicks

Carini was the jam of the show for me, really good "soaring" theme in there.

Blaze On through the end of the first set was solid, Dan mentioned that he was glad Most Events stuck around and I agree, great addition to the rotation. 

Wish they had jammed Ghost a bit, but the segue into SANTOS was buttery. 

Still need to check out the encore, looks crazy. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Here's a clip of Trey falling during First Tube.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on February 24, 2019, 11:44:34 AM
Carini was the jam of the show for me, really good "soaring" theme in there.

Blaze On through the end of the first set was solid, Dan mentioned that he was glad Most Events stuck around and I agree, great addition to the rotation. 

Wish they had jammed Ghost a bit, but the segue into SANTOS was buttery. 

Still need to check out the encore, looks crazy.

Me too, I love that song. I've been listening to a lot of the Vida Blue sbd's lately and have grown a new affinity for it.

nab

The seeds for this short Ghost>SANTOS were sown at Trey's 12-03 solo show in Mesa.  Viewed in this light, the short Ghost makes a little more sense.

VDB

Quote from: nab on February 25, 2019, 10:19:12 AM
The seeds for this short Ghost>SANTOS were sown at Trey's 12-03 solo show in Mesa.  Viewed in this light, the short Ghost makes a little more sense.

Yeah. A lot more forgivable in that format. Not to mention novel.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

great stand alone run.
Best mexico for sure. I guess this is the last year, at least at the Cancun/Tulum resort area?

nab

Quote from: VDB on February 25, 2019, 02:35:41 PM
Quote from: nab on February 25, 2019, 10:19:12 AM

Yeah. A lot more forgivable in that format. Not to mention novel.

The transition between the two songs was real nice.  Trey included the "extra" lyrics for SANTOS that premiered in the Mesa show (I think the NYE version as well).  SANTOS is a nice bookend to a run that included a lot of allusions to space and celestial bodies in a lot of the songs, including most of the bust-outs (Spanish Moon, Spock's Brain, Who Loves the Sun)  with a space heavy encore. 

Not making the case that the Ghost was the "best version ever", just that it is a smaller piece in a larger puzzle and not necessarily a throw away.