News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ph92 on July 07, 2020, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 07, 2020, 11:17:36 AM
Quote from: anthrax on July 07, 2020, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 06, 2020, 08:15:08 PM
Quote from: anthrax on July 06, 2020, 07:49:19 PM
it's been slow going as of late, but i finally made it to maine!  man, this first day is even better than i remember it!   :beers:

sweet pic!  i don't think i have a single picture from that entire summer 97 run i did.  all i cared about was the girl i was traveling with and the shows!  had such an amazing time each and every day, traveling and experiencing life.  didn't feel the need to document anything, just soak it all in.  such a different time than the instagram look at me culture of today.

In the summer of 94 I travelled from Maine to San Francisco and just about everywhere in between camping in National and State Parks along the way. I did not bring a camera. Summer of 95 I did most of summer tour with Phish. Again, no camera. It wasn't until I traveled to Asia in 96-97 that I decided to start documenting things on film.  :frustrated:
Honestly, when I'm at the show, I might snap one picture, but that's pretty rare. I do, however, take lots of pictures of the adventures and travel between shows and during the day.

Where'd you travel to in Asia? My dad teaches in China and he has some amazing pictures whenever he comes home.

Lived in Korea for a year teaching English... then traveled through China and Vietnam for about 4 months after leaving Korea.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ph92

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 07, 2020, 11:45:33 AM
Quote from: ph92 on July 07, 2020, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 07, 2020, 11:17:36 AM
Quote from: anthrax on July 07, 2020, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 06, 2020, 08:15:08 PM
Quote from: anthrax on July 06, 2020, 07:49:19 PM
it's been slow going as of late, but i finally made it to maine!  man, this first day is even better than i remember it!   :beers:

sweet pic!  i don't think i have a single picture from that entire summer 97 run i did.  all i cared about was the girl i was traveling with and the shows!  had such an amazing time each and every day, traveling and experiencing life.  didn't feel the need to document anything, just soak it all in.  such a different time than the instagram look at me culture of today.

In the summer of 94 I travelled from Maine to San Francisco and just about everywhere in between camping in National and State Parks along the way. I did not bring a camera. Summer of 95 I did most of summer tour with Phish. Again, no camera. It wasn't until I traveled to Asia in 96-97 that I decided to start documenting things on film.  :frustrated:
Honestly, when I'm at the show, I might snap one picture, but that's pretty rare. I do, however, take lots of pictures of the adventures and travel between shows and during the day.

Where'd you travel to in Asia? My dad teaches in China and he has some amazing pictures whenever he comes home.

Lived in Korea for a year teaching English... then traveled through China and Vietnam for about 4 months after leaving Korea.
Oh nice! Seoul? I really want to get out there sometime soon (post-covid). I got a friend who goes out to Bali/SE Asea every year for a month or so, I might have to join him!
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

we had a little virtual listening party for the last 2 sets of the summer 97 tour last night.  blasting it out in the garage as a storm rolled in.  what a great night!  no joke, all 3 of us reported getting chills during the Gin...totally independent of each other.  this band!

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on July 10, 2020, 10:40:03 AM
we had a little virtual listening party for the last 2 sets of the summer 97 tour last night.  blasting it out in the garage as a storm rolled in.  what a great night!  no joke, all 3 of us reported getting chills during the Gin...totally independent of each other.  this band!
You've probably already seen this, but if not, it's worth checking out

anthrax

Quote from: khalpin on July 10, 2020, 12:27:50 PM
Quote from: anthrax on July 10, 2020, 10:40:03 AM
You've probably already seen this, but if not, it's worth checking out

been awhile for that one...i'll check it out later today.  thanks!

Gumbo72203

I know i'm late to the party but I have some thoughts.  I finally was able to make my way through 11/22/97 DaaM.  It's a very, very impressive show.  I have had the Mike's Groove SBD for ages, but seeing that Mike's Song in action gave me a whole new appreciation for it.  The last half of that jam is some of the best stuff they've ever done.  Billy Breathes took a ride on the Struggle Bus but I'm glad they played it. 

Now, the Halley's.  This is a weird version to me, because the funk to start off is fabulous, but then it meanders a bit and doesn't really connect into anything until the wah wah power hits later on.  Now, the ending of this jam is amazing, but it's such a strange experience to witness them going from being locked in, to searching, and then to locked in again.  I still prefer 12/7/99 but this is great of course. 

I had always been a bit lukewarm on the Tweezer due to it's length but i found myself thoroughly enjoying this version, and it's placement was absolutely perfect.  Not only did it bring the mood back to fun rock energy, it was also signalling something like "Yeah, we just crushed that jam - now here's ANOTHER ONE".  Very confident.  Just great placement.  The rest of the set is just extra gravy on top.  Really good show. 

Having now finally watched a Fall '97 show, it's interesting to see the low-energy funk dynamic in action.  It's very different than the raging peaks of early Phish, and I can see how some could be left wondering "What the hell, nothing is happening."  But it almost seems like the band needed to chill out after so much rage.  You can't have dark without light, and you can't have peaks without chill. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

anthrax

been working my way through all of 1997 in order.  started with the february europe tour, listening on the actual 25th anniversary date and just kept going.  i'm in the june europe segment now.  so great hearing the funk slowly ooze out into what would be a super funky u.s. summer tour.

Buffalo Budd

Definitely listen to more 97 Phish than any other year.
You can't find a bad show imo.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

QuoteDefinitely listen to more 97 Phish than any other year.
Same. The other day the wife asked me where I'd go if I had a Time Machine and I said "Summer Tour '97". She wanted to see Victorian England, or the height of the Aztec Empire, and I just want some filthy cow funk!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 07, 2022, 10:38:07 AM
Same. The other day the wife asked me where I'd go if I had a Time Machine and I said "Summer Tour '97". She wanted to see Victorian England, or the height of the Aztec Empire, and I just want some filthy cow funk!

Yeah, my answer would resemble this.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 07, 2022, 10:38:07 AM

Yeah, I'd definitely take some hot jams over the Victorian era (lack of modern medicine, plus repressive social mores that would have me in chains/stocks post haste), or, you know, a pre-modern society ruled by an elite warrior caste and avidly practicing human sacrifice.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

susep

A lot of parallels between the Dead's 72 Europe tour and Phish's Winter 97 jaunt.  Even Summer and Fall for both bands, 25 years apart, were expansive, representing a big shift forward. 

anthrax

4 day weekends starts right now...and up next...the july amsterdam run  :beers:  :beers:

mistercharlie

Quotebeen working my way through all of 1997 in order.  started with the february europe tour, listening on the actual 25th anniversary date and just kept going.  i'm in the june europe segment now.  so great hearing the funk slowly ooze out into what would be a super funky u.s. summer tour.
I started doing this this morning as well. Phish.in I've made it through 2/13 & 2/14 so far today at work. I'll have time for one more show before the work day is over. 

I really do love the '97 sound!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.