News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/01 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 02, 2009, 01:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justjezmund

AHHH finally, after a long day of recovering from a readicculus party i have made it to the esther.  I f'n love it.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 02, 2009, 03:11:07 PM
OK - finally finished listening to the whole night from LP... I gotta say, it rocked. The only down point, imo, was the beginning of Rock & Roll which Trey completely screwed... I mean, it sounds like he forgot how the lick is supposed to be played for the entire first verse. Am I the only one bothered by this?

Anyway, the whole show is really solid.

Bag - sweet opener!
With - nailed it -- just beautiful!
Mound - welcome back!
Jibboo - Fantastic building jam, starts so quiet. Loved it.
Guyute - sweet first set Guyute. Perfect placement.
PYITE - Always fun - not flubbed too bad.
Tube - not epic, but great jam and nailed throughout.
Alaska - Say what you will, I dig this tune - Page owns it!! Plus the jam is pure R&R fun.
'lope - Solid set closer.

R&R - mentioned how rough the start of this was, but the jam is solid. Like really solid. Love how it comes down to Mike in the end for the transition into...
DwD - Also an amazing jam. They are really listening to each other here. It shows! It's like they're finally getting their sea legs back!
Free - also nice - not out there, but really nice
Esther - You got your meat and potatoes in the first three songs of the set - the rest is dessert! Perfect!
Dirt - more dessert
Hood - perhaps the 2nd best hood of 3.0 - as a bonus, Trey nails the Mr. Minor segment!!

Sleeping Monkey - This song never gets old for me... NEVER!
1st Tube - This closed so many Trey shows during the "no Phish period" it seems weird to me here. Nothing bad about it, just strange. i would have been jumping up and down during it, fo sho!

ditto
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

justjezmund

ya pie pretty much just said everything i thought of can't wait for tonite hope these streams everyone raved about last night at gunna work for me tonite.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

PIE-GUY

I do a song-by-song review and all you got is "ditto?" Weak sauce!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

khalpin

Just listened to the first set while making dinner tonight (Thai food, if anyone cares)
Bag - Nice!  "Let's get this show on the road"
With - I REALLY enjoyed this.  Although the vocal harmonies could've been better.  Nice "With" jam that I would've loved another 5 minutes of.
Mound - Played pretty well for it having been so long.
Jibboo - I honestly don't remember too much about this one.
Guyute - Some flubs in there, but still good.
PYITE - Trey did something towards the end that made me stop what I was doing, then he stopped and let the other three do the ascending dissonant thing.  I have to go listen to that again.
Tube - Had me dancing around the kitchen like a fool.  Not epic, but a lot of fun.
Alaska - I was diggin' it.  I wonder if the lyrics have anything to do with "Into the Wild".
'lope - Nice, solid closer

Set two later...probably during tonight's show.

mistercharlie

what is Trey teasing 7:20 into dwd? I'm listening to taylorc's recording
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 02, 2009, 01:42:16 AM
One for the fannerz.

I give this list a C.

haha i'm two posts in to this thread and fauxpaux already has made his usual stupid ass post. classic!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

blatboom

Quote from: VA slim on August 02, 2009, 10:27:19 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 02, 2009, 01:42:16 AM
One for the fannerz.

I give this list a C.

haha i'm two posts in to this thread and fauxpaux already has made his usual stupid ass post. classic!

he gives everything a C.  dude's scale is broke

VA $l!m

first thing i did when i got home was start DLing this show. it was almost a dream show for me.

after i listen i'll go back and review i guess, but i will note here that after the first set  i recall telling hicks i enjoyed this first set more thatn the first two nights combined. and the second set was no slouch either. it straight up rawked all the way through esther---man if i ever needed a cool down song it was that dirt--wheeew!

so, dream setlist for me...A+. FRee is the only song that is remotely not in my songs i dig list, but considering it was perfectly placed and played i cant complain. MIKE threw down some of the sickest fills in it as well.

then on the general performance, hood is te only song i thought there was some slacking in the jam sectoin, i'll have to hear it to see what i really heard. though it was almsot as if they had really shot their wad which was understandable at that point. though after the encore break they cam out re-energized and brought the roof...uh, stars down w/ 1st tube!

this show made me happy to be a phishhead again.

thanks to everyone that was present and of course the band. great job fellas. you deserve some kudos for bringing back the love.

PS., there were a LOT of teases last night, and i havent noticed anyone here mention some of them, OR the whole deal about trey giving everyone secret hand signals to STFU or whatever it was. AND how about trey moonwalking!! :crazy:
--IF all that was already mentioned, sorry, just trying to catch up here.

peace,
slim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sprobeck

fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sprobeck

He was doing some pretty goofball stuff. Maybe that was part of it.  I was too far away to really get it.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 02, 2009, 01:34:23 AM
2009-07-31 (saturday)
Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Set 1: AC/DC Bag, The Curtain With, Mound, Gotta Jibboo, Guyute, Punch You In The Eye, Tube*, Alaska, Run Like An Antelope

Set 2: Rock and Roll > Down with Disease -> Free, Esther, Dirt, Harry Hood

Encore: Sleeping Monkey > First Tube

Wow, what a sick show.  After finishing listening to this show and all 3 previous shows I can confidently say that phish is back in a big way.

I think I still give a slight edge to the 2nd night as my favorite, but this show was still better than any show in the first leg imo.

Curtain with was gorgeous, Jibboo was great, Tube was funktastic right out of the gate, and although parts of antelope were def pretty bad, there were also some redeeming moments of it.

The entire second set was pretty much on fire as well with DWD being the highlight for me, and best Hood of 3.0 imo

First Tube was also fantastic with Trey shredding faster than I thought he still could at times!
Bring in the dude!

okelnard

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 02, 2009, 01:34:23 AM
2009-08-01 (saturday)
Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Set 1: AC/DC Bag, The Curtain With, Mound, Gotta Jibboo, Guyute, Punch You In The Eye, Tube*, Alaska, Run Like An Antelope

Set 2: Rock and Roll > Down with Disease -> Free, Esther, Dirt, Harry Hood

Encore: Sleeping Monkey > First Tube

* Played by crowd request.
First The Curtain With Since 08/15/2004
First Mound since 12/31/02
First Esther since 09/30/00

Welcome To the after party. Sick ass DWD no?
Here's another armchair q-back monday morning hindsight is 20/20 review.... :-P

Bag - very sweet... another chance for Llama opener blown to pieces!  But that's okay, has one of my fav phish lyrics: brain dead and made of money, no future at all!
Curtain With - well played and nice jamming in the With section, yeah, I could have grooved a bit longer on that but it's 1st set and we thank you for playing it again with fresh chops (last played as encore of "last show ever")
Mound - great bust out, well played, not mind blowing, but smile inducing for sure.
Jibboo - good danceable groove, I've always liked this one, and this one gets you there.
Guyute - I love this song.  Some very noticable flubs in it. 6.7.09 much better
PYITE - Another groove fest, they're keeping the pace up nicely here
Tube - and into the funkfest we are definitely smiling here and laughing at how nutty the lyrics are; classic nonsense phish lyrics sung as if they really mean something.
Alaska - not the worst song ever, a bit of a breather and sing along if you want type of thing
'lope - we love it and thanks for not following it w/ Char 0, really.

R&R - yeah, rough start as had been stated, but then it finds its' way into set 2 face melting
dwd - man, Mike is just sick in this!  TaylorC's pull is so damn sweet here (and everywhere too), the whole r&r>dwd has just great Mike that just aproaches the threshhold of being muddy but never crosses it: perfection!  I can listen to this again and again; great segue that you all knew was coming from the sound that the tail end of r&r was melting into
Free - well segued, and still melting and mikeing.  My fav set of the run easily and still a few more songs to go.
Esther - another great bust out and well played.  never a fav song of mine, not sure why, but I won't kick her out of bed; I'm smiling and enjoying this composed beasty.
Dirt - ahhh, relaxing now, much better than Joy which just doesn't flow like a song called Joy should, but Dirt is smooth clean fertile soil...
Harry - Wonderful little teases by Trey in the extended intro (thanks for taking the time to make this so so fucking sweet).  I love this version as much or more than version from "original recipe Phish" I do, I really do... It is so well played and I can hear Mike and Trey and all the nuances so well...

Monkey - heads nod in approval, nothing earth shattering, but gives me an easy laugh and into
1st tube - This could just go on and on and on and we'd still be dancing and melting nice way to end it all...

I have to go back and listen to the whole run again (haven't heard 8/2/09 yet but you know what I mean), but I really like this set 2 more than others for now. 
See you all back on the shoreline live thread after the kids are sent to bed (dang 14 yr old stays up late now and thinks my music taste is weird; she'll have to come around some day).
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA slim on August 03, 2009, 12:10:38 AM
AND how about trey moonwalking!! :crazy:

Maybe Trey Moonwalking is the first clue as to what the Halloween Album will be......Thriller.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.