News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish: the Biography by Parke Puterbaugh

Started by Gumbo72203, November 01, 2012, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Hey so have any of you guys read this?  I'm like 2/3 of the way through it, and just wondered about some things in it.  Much of the first half is everything all of us already knew, with some more personal anecdotes from Amy Skelton, Jason Colton et al. 

But I'm at the point now where they're talking about the 98-00 period and how drugs and the scene really exploded, and it seems to possibly point some light at current situations.

For instance, the interview segments with Paul make it seem like he's REALLY bitter, and there's even some drama in here where his accounts of how wreckless/out of control the gaggle/drugs had become are denounced by other organizational members.  Paul claiming a lot of employees weren't getting paid anything really so they'd get backstage passes for all their friends, which would balloon, causing problems, etc. 

And also, the author just put forth a curious hypothesis regarding the minimalized textures of PH2000 jamming as almost an unconscious attempt by the band to "tame" the crowd, by chilling them out.  I don't necessarily agree, but I can see his logic.  The spiraling, crescendo-chasing manic heaven-storming Phish of the early 90s, which caused the scene to explode, needed to be "cooled off" to kind of ease the pains. 

A lot of Tom is in this book, too, and his thoughts about Trey, drugs, etc.  Its finally gotten really interesting, even though its about drugs and why it all came crashing down.  Its interesting to read that Mike had serious dissatisfaction going all the way back to making Billy Breathes, it seems. 

Just curious what you guys think, from those who have read it.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again