News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 14, 2020, 03:47:25 PM
Essential readings.....

dude where can those be gotten? 

Also what in the fuck is that set up haha
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 09, 2020, 10:12:58 AM
Essential readings.....

The Compendiums are long out of print and pricy if you can find them, especially Volume One. The Deadbase 50 is still available on Amazon for about 50 bucks.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 09, 2020, 10:12:58 AM
Essential readings.....

I picked up the books off ebay and amazon - just kept waiting around for low offers. Two were new, another used-like new. As for the headphone setup (see pic below): that's a Schiit Gungnir 2 Multi-bit DAC (newest update) -> Schiit Loki Analog 4 band tone control -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amp (also newest version) ->  Audeze LCD-3 Headphones. The Schiit Mjolnir 2 is a tube amp (hence two little tubes sticking up) and I roll an assortment of vintage 6DJ8/6922/7308 new old stock (NOS) matched tubes in it: Amperex USA 1968' and Dutch 1964's, 1970 Mullard 7308, and Telefunken E88CC 1966. Presently hunting for one last Holy Grail tube set, the Siemens Halske early 60's late 1950's. The setup renders good recordings holographic.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 08, 2020, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 27, 2020, 08:13:45 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on July 25, 2020, 09:58:29 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on July 22, 2020, 10:52:34 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 22, 2020, 09:44:51 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on July 21, 2020, 09:33:47 PM
PS: this very awesome book is only $25 at Target of all places. Hardcover coffee table goodness.

https://www.target.com/p/art-of-the-dead-by-phil-cushway-hardcover/-/A-77319044?ref=&ref=OpsEmail_Order_572_Default%20B&j=169410&sfmc_sub=348094990&l=20_HTML&u=93434036&mid=7284873&jb=277903

Front cover is the Mardi Gras '95 poster.
I have that up in my stairwell.

I have that poster as well! It is what caught my eye. One of the last great GD posters (IMO).

Book arrived and it is stellar! The cover is embossed really slickly and all pages are glossy high quality prints. Very impressed and a nice addition to our coffee table.

NIce, I snagged one.  Thanks for the heads up!

Hey 'van, you ever get this book? You like it? I nearly bought this original two weeks ago but my wife kiboshed it!

I did but I haven't cracked it open yet.  Still in the shrink lol. But I'll get to it!

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 09, 2020, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on September 08, 2020, 07:00:24 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2020, 06:03:07 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on September 08, 2020, 04:59:30 PM
is GD mechandise owned by Warner Music Group?
got a letter from them saying they got hacked and my personal info/ cc info is comprised...

Yeah, they made a deal with Rhino, also owned by WMG, in the early 2000s. 

Sucks, but shit like that is pretty unavoidable these days.
should i get the free identity theft service or cancel my ccs or anything like that? lol literally the only place ive ordered anythign really online in yrs

Have you gotten a new card since last you ordered from them? If yes, probably do nothing.
If no, free credit monitoring wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, you can contact your provider and they can issue you a new card.
yeah come to think of it i think last time i ordered i used a gift card anyway... i'll prob jus watch my statements. they mentioned identity theft stuff but i mean, its not like gdm had my ssn lol
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Gumbo72203

Quote from: nab on September 09, 2020, 11:14:51 AM

The Compendiums are long out of print and pricy if you can find them, especially Volume One. The Deadbase 50 is still available on Amazon for about 50 bucks.

Would you suggest one over the other?  I've always wanted to read about the taping and setlist stuff, I never owned any of the Deadbases. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 10, 2020, 10:13:03 AM

Would you suggest one over the other?  I've always wanted to read about the taping and setlist stuff, I never owned any of the Deadbases.

Really depends on your depth and direction of interest. The compendiums take deeper dives into the trading community and Dead lore as it existed in the late 20th through first five years of the 21st century.  Deadbase isn't as comprehensive in lore, but shines in selected statistics and fan reviews. Both have setlists that are largely reliable but grow outdated as new sources and tapes turn up.

I rarely turn to either anymore for setlist info as online info is so handy and current.

Caravan2001

Quote from: nab on September 10, 2020, 11:56:23 PM

Really depends on your depth and direction of interest. The compendiums take deeper dives into the trading community and Dead lore as it existed in the late 20th through first five years of the 21st century.  Deadbase isn't as comprehensive in lore, but shines in selected statistics and fan reviews. Both have setlists that are largely reliable but grow outdated as new sources and tapes turn up.

I rarely turn to either anymore for setlist info as online info is so handy and current.

Agreed.  I rarely reach for a deadbase, but there are some good tape/show reviews worth looking at for sure.  They are def classics and at one point essential.  The Compendiums probably have a lot more to hold your interest.  I def spent considerable time reading them on the john or otherwise.  You can get pretty lost in them. Not sure if they are worth paying a premium for unless you really need to have them but I would imagine you can find them in soft copy on the web.

nab

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 11, 2020, 09:37:38 PM
Quote from: nab on September 10, 2020, 11:56:23 PM

Agreed.  I rarely reach for a deadbase, but there are some good tape/show reviews worth looking at for sure.  They are def classics and at one point essential.  The Compendiums probably have a lot more to hold your interest.  I def spent considerable time reading them on the john or otherwise.  You can get pretty lost in them. Not sure if they are worth paying a premium for unless you really need to have them but I would imagine you can find them in soft copy on the web.

Also wanted to add that if you want free and handy access to Deadbase type reviews, it's hard to beat the comment sections of Archive.org. They're easily organized and accessible through http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp which organizes sources by show for sources available on archive.org.   

Lots of "you had to be there in 73 man" in those comments, but a good source of primary material if your're really interested in history.

rowjimmy

I use my deadbase all the time.
Like several times a week.

VA $l!m

luv my deadbase ix. only book ive read in over a decade.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Gumbo72203

thanks for the heads up guys.  I see they're basically all available on Amazon, so I'm going to do some research and see what's up!

rowjimmy

You guys see that they're dropping an American Beauty Angel's Share on 10/15?

Also:
DAVE’S PICKS VOL.36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87)

Hicks

Two 80s picks in a row? Unprecedented!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy