News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish - June/July 1995 Redux

Started by susep, June 06, 2021, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam>

I was there. Think I was tripping and the Tweezer went right over my head. Didn't love the show.
Went to Wolf Mountain the following year and had a blast.

susep

Quote from: khalpin on June 08, 2021, 08:28:33 PM
No love for the Tweezer?

Tweezer ? last version played: 12/30/94; It?s gonna be cold cold cold, appropriate after last night?s snowstorm, charged band early, nice clav work by Page.  Demented Fish in the breakdown, this is their Careful w/ That Axe Eugene section, jam drops at 4:29, active Page, funked up Trey, Trey and Mike hey hole jamming, (just a few months out of Trey?s Surrender To The Air project), Trey taking it down to an almost stop/start, instead begins an interesting funk jam w/ Page adding subtle effects, Trey quickly morphs into an up-tempo jam, Page along for the ride, nice jam ensues near 7:20, Trey led thrash jam, jam again settles, more funk, crowd is down, nice jam at 8:29, Trey teasing a blues line at 8:56???, more free form Phish, jam settles again, almost duet w/ Trey and Page, increasing tempo, Mike adding interesting lines, similar to Rift, pretty cool, nice Fish ride, speed bass Mike, almost cartoon sounds, early Pink Floyd, Scream Thy Last Scream vocal reflections, more Fall 94 style jamming, jam settles again near 12:30, Mike leading, light Fish and Page, Can?t You Hear Me Knocking jam at 13:27, morphs, Trey still in CYHMK mode, jam quiets, high paced rhythm work by Trey along w/ Page, almost Llama esque, Mike roaming, great Mike at 17:00 underneath Trey and Page who sound like a mothership landing, crowd loving it, Fish on his blocks, loud bombs by Mike back into previous high energy jam, Trey funking out, back into single note lines, Fish leads a transition, Trey chording almost reggae style, nice Page adding lines under the island vamp, Trey reprises the Tweezer riff, they all fall in, nice reprise back, extended Tweezer outro jam, Page back on the clav, cool lines by Trey as they segue into Lifeboy.      Very sick, improvisational version!

susep

:phish: 6/9/95
Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Source: Scheops mk41

Disc 1:
My Friend
Divided Sky
Strange Design
Oh Kee Pah->
AC/DC Bag
Theme
Taste
Sparkle
Antelope

Disc 2:
Tuning
SOAM
Wedge
Scent of a Mule
Cavern
Bowie
Acoustic Army
Adeline
Slave

E: Squirming Coil

Playing catch up after initially downloading a crappy source(AKG391's) and my son's graduation from Middle School. 
This is a Mike centric show as far as the set/mix, very much out in front.  Divided Sky is an early highlight, great playing by all.  Theme while not as experimental as the Boise version was still played extremely well, great jam.  The first version of Antelope of the year does not disappoint, does it ever from this period?  No peak into Rocco, the jam essentially dissolves into it.  Melt picks up where Antelope left off, lots of creative, out of the box playing.  Chordal jamming by Trey coupled with more angular Mike makes for a great version.  Bowie, this first since 12/29/94, maintains the creativity of Fall '94 with an atypical middle jam followed by more creative play in the latter half.
Looking forward to night two at Red Rocks. 

VA $l!m

Is this like Apocalypse Now?
Sorry, that's the only redux i know.  :oops:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Buffalo Budd

Imagine being that kid (bottom left hand of pic) experiencing that venue and show.  :mrgreen:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

antelope19

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 11, 2021, 10:48:58 PM
Imagine being that kid (bottom left hand of pic) experiencing that venue and show.  :mrgreen:

He?s all, who?s that weird guy with the mustache? Why are his eyes closed? Mom? WTF! Where are we!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

susep

:phish:

June 10, 1995
Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Morrison, Colorado

Source: Microtech Gefell M270 Omni > D7(patched) @ 16/48
Transfer: DAT > Sony PCM R300 > Tascam 680 > Audacity > xACT
DiGiHoArDeRs: 5/1/2020
Flaschner DAT collection

SET ONE
Makisupa Policeman >
Llama
Prince Caspian
It's Ice
Free
Rift
You Enjoy Myself
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Suzy Greenberg

SET TWO
Maze
Fee
Uncle Pen
Mike's Song >
I Am Hydrogen >
Weekapaug Groove
Amazing Grace
Sample In A Jar

ENCORE
A Day In The Life*

*debut

Night two of a 2 night stand at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.  The band and crew rested after not having to travel post-show overnight. 
Interesting set especially with a Makisupa > Llama opener.  Surely the Amphitheatre was a crystal haze, great way to tap into the vibes early.  Everything in set one was tightly played followed by the first You Enjoy Myself of tour.  Nothing too crazy but solid version nonetheless especially for a mid to late first set.  The vocal jam into an acapella HYHU into Lonesome Cowboy is fun.  Suzy is also great, like in Boise featuring great funk in Page?s second solo. 
After a fairly tame but solid first set, Phish brought the heat for set two.  Maze gets things going early w/ fiery playing by all especially Trey.  Mike?s Groove features some of the best improvisational playing of the young tour with the F jam out of Mike?s getting very free, open.  They segue into a nirvana esque space followed by more free jamming before big tension into the outro.  Weekapaug keeps up its end of the improvisation bargain with more exploratory funk and tension.  The Phish debut of A Day in the Life is the proverbial icing on an excellent show.  The Mike's Groove single handedly took the run from average to above average. 

emay

susep

:phish:
1995-06-13
Riverport Amphitheatre

Maryland Heights, MO

Source: DAUD/AKG460,D10proII (Jeff Jordan)

Seed: Cloned by Rich <rwinta@aol.com>

Transfer: DA-P1 > S/PDIF > HD-P2 > Compact Flash/WAV/48/16
[straight through direct digital, except edits noted below]
wavbreaker, shntool, metaflac
"phisham-000" 2017-07
e-tree 138875
transferred by "phisham" John Isham <isham.john@gmail.com>
[formerly isham@jeremy.ecs.umass.edu - now defunct]

Edits: See below, raw unedited files also included

Set 1: (76:32)

01: Runaway Jim (8:16)
02: Foam (10:09)
03: Bouncing Around The Room (3:44)
04: Stash (11:11)
05: Strange Design (2:54)
06: Taste (6:36)
07: Reba (14:05) [1]
08: Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up (8:23)
09: Sparkle (3:58)
10: Chalk Dust Torture (7:13) [2]

Set 2+Encore: (76:55)

01: David Bowie (17:20) [3]
02: The Lizards (10:47)
03: Axilla II (4:25)
04: Theme From The Bottom (10:35)
05: Acoustic Army (3:48) [4]
06: Harry Hood (14:25)
07: Golgi Apparatus (4:47)

Encore:

08: Sweet Adeline (2:41) [5]
09: Julius (8:07) [6]

Hell of a show!  Lots of great energy, you can tell the band was fired up off the crowd.  The band explodes off the stage with a raging Jim into a blissful, high energy Foam.  Stash was also well played, Trey?s choice of notes and tension superb.  Chalk Dust continues to impress especially as a set ender. 
Bowie opening set two features more raw improvisation.  At the outset of the jam they quickly deviate into the abyss, outside improvisation.  Trey chording more with layered dark effects, angular, propulsive lines by Mike.  A truly great jam.  Julius was a straight up smoker, having the energy and enthusiasm of a high energy Chalk Dust.  These guys are raging. 

disclaimer about the older photos:  its nice to see images of yesteryear, the origins if you will.   

PIE-GUY

Listen to this Hood and you?ll hear Elroy?s ex-girlfriend have an extremely loud orgasm near the tapers section.

True story.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

birdman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2021, 11:29:19 PM
Listen to this Hood and you?ll hear Elroy?s ex-girlfriend have an extremely loud orgasm near the tapers section.

True story.

he?s not lying.
Paug FTMFW!

susep

Quote from: birdman on June 18, 2021, 06:21:06 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2021, 11:29:19 PM

True story.

he?s not lying.

some of the comments and reactions are pretty lol near the taper.  As Trey tries to quiet the crowd before Sweet Adeline, you can hear this chick scream, "Shut the fuck up!"

emay

Been kind of listening along to this the past month. Past two days have been some scorchers.

BLOSSOM MUSIC CENTER
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Ginseng Sullivan, My Generation, Daniel Saw the Stone > Rock Lobster, Horn, Blues Jam

SET 1: Llama, Spock's Brain, Ginseng Sullivan > Foam, Bathtub Gin, If I Could, Taste, I Didn't Know, Split Open and Melt

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Chalk Dust Torture, Prince Caspian, Uncle Pen, Mike's Song -> Contact > Weekapaug Groove > Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, Highway to Hell

ENCORE: Slave to the Traffic Light, Amazing Grace

The soundcheck's My Generation was performed acoustic. Bathtub Gin contained Long Tall Glasses teases from Trey. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

FINGER LAKES PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
Canandaigua, NY
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Ginseng Sullivan, Dog Log, Shaggy Dog > Jam, Acoustic Army

SET 1: Sample in a Jar, Scent of a Mule, Ha Ha Ha > Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus, It's Ice, Strange Design, Maze, Cavern, Sweet Adeline

SET 2: Theme From the Bottom -> Jam -> Tweezer[1] -> Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Acoustic Army, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

[1] Fish on vacuum.

susep

Quote from: emay on June 22, 2021, 03:51:41 PM
Been kind of listening along to this the past month. Past two days have been some scorchers.

BLOSSOM MUSIC CENTER
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Ginseng Sullivan, My Generation, Daniel Saw the Stone > Rock Lobster, Horn, Blues Jam

SET 1: Llama, Spock's Brain, Ginseng Sullivan > Foam, Bathtub Gin, If I Could, Taste, I Didn't Know, Split Open and Melt

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Chalk Dust Torture, Prince Caspian, Uncle Pen, Mike's Song -> Contact > Weekapaug Groove > Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, Highway to Hell

ENCORE: Slave to the Traffic Light, Amazing Grace

The soundcheck's My Generation was performed acoustic. Bathtub Gin contained Long Tall Glasses teases from Trey. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

FINGER LAKES PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
Canandaigua, NY
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Ginseng Sullivan, Dog Log, Shaggy Dog > Jam, Acoustic Army

SET 1: Sample in a Jar, Scent of a Mule, Ha Ha Ha > Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus, It's Ice, Strange Design, Maze, Cavern, Sweet Adeline

SET 2: Theme From the Bottom -> Jam -> Tweezer[1] -> Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Acoustic Army, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

[1] Fish on vacuum.

Nice bro.  My next show listen is 6/14/95. :smoke:

cleech74

Cool project. Saw 21 shows in 1995, the most out of all the years seeing them live. It was also the first time being ?on tour.? Drove from Baltimore to Denver in two days, so 6/9 was me & my ex?s first of the run. Stayed at Chief Hosa Campground, which had a very chill scene. Met a lot of good people along the way, and it was fun to run into new friends at the various shows afterwards. The only show we didn?t have tix in hand was Riverport, which wasn?t sold out, pre show. Was interesting to see them keep the same energy they had after the 2 RR shows, so we knew we were going to see some killer shows over the next few weeks. Looking forward to checking back in on this one.😎
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon