News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Blood Simple ? the Cohens' first film.

I didn't know anything about this movie going into it. It's apparently much ballyhooed. I suppose I can see why?it was an indie film, and as one it's very well constructed, and in particular it's impressively photographed, and it maintains its mood pretty diligently?but it took me a bit to adjust to the slow quiet of it and the persistent dread mostly uncolored by what I usually think of as Cohens-style fun. This could partly be a commentary on my 2021 tastes and attention disorder as well as the state of tastes and cinema when this film was made in the early-mid 80's. Does this movie get enduring credit for being great in its time, or was it supposed to blow me away last night?
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

It was supposed to blow you away. At least in a creepy low key manner.

Beautifully made little movie. And the ending, how can you not love the ending?
A story about everyone mistaking everyone else for the wrong person and making terrible decisions based on their ignorance. Which become a common theme in Coen bros movies.

VDB

I did like the ending, and how it fit for this film. This take is slightly cooler than my first take but I can suspect this is the kind of film with psychological staying power, and likewise from a craft perspective. The latter is what impressed me most during and after my viewing.
Is this still Wombat?

Multibeast12

If anybody else here also buys criterion movies, got an email mentioning a flash sale soon. Figured give whoever might be interested a heads up. I might pull the trigger and finally snag On the Waterfront and A Face In The Crowd.

WillBreathes

Psycho Goreman is amazing.  A movie that knows what it is, and nails it.

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

kellerb

I was going to watch On the Waterfront but now I'm leaning more toward Psycho Goreman

khalpin

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

VDB

Looks compelling. It's going on the list.

As for me, I finally watched Spring Breakers, and I recommend that you all do, too.
Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

Quote from: VDB on February 21, 2021, 02:16:39 PM
Spring Breakers

"This is my shit. This is my shit."

or something like that, great movie.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WillBreathes on February 24, 2021, 08:19:53 AM
Quote from: VDB on February 21, 2021, 02:16:39 PM
Spring Breakers

"This is my shit. This is my shit."

or something like that, great movie.

Up next should be Beach Bum. Another great from Korine.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

Red Dog on Hulu. HIGHly suggested. Legendary strippers telling tales of their heyday in the late 70?s. Lots of drugs and characters. Some tragedy along the way, of course, but mostly good dirty fun. Check it.

PIE-GUY

Summer of Soul. It?ll be on Hulu tomorrow, but go see this on a big screen if you can. It?s so damn good! ?uestlove, ftmfw.

mehead

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 01, 2021, 10:54:15 PM
Summer of Soul. It?ll be on Hulu tomorrow, but go see this on a big screen if you can. It?s so damn good! ?uestlove, ftmfw.

Psyched for this. Haven't looked to see if it's playing in my area but will at least be firing it up on the hulu.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: mehead on July 02, 2021, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 01, 2021, 10:54:15 PM

Psyched for this. Haven't looked to see if it's playing in my area but will at least be firing it up on the hulu.

can't wait to see this
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Thanks for the Red Dog and Summer of Soul recs, PG. I have already told my friend from Oklahoma about the former.

The other night I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Took me a while because the wife had already seen it without me. Very entertaining, very well done. I have complex thoughts about Leo DiCapprio, in general. He does great work but it's often not long before you are seeing through the character to Leo the actor, up there often trying a little too hard. And so I thought he was perhaps perfectly cast for this. And he has some incredible scenes, because he really is capable of great acting.

Last night we watched this new Steven Soderbergh caper film No Sudden Move (HBO Max). It's from the guy who brought you Ocean's Eleven Twelve Thirteen and it shows. Also pretty well done but it's virtually 100% plot and it has twists and turns and when Delta 9 gets involved I find I have a harder time keeping track of things, which in a movie like that can become a problem. YMMV.
Is this still Wombat?