News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

mmm, coffee

Started by jedifunk, February 10, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

so besides my love of wine, my other liquid passion (eww gross) is coffee...

my in-laws just got back from hawaii and were kind enough to buy me a couple pounds of local Kona!  :banana:  (yeah its good enough that i'm giving it a banana)

i typically have 2 cups of joe in the morning, sometimes more...  and typically its from a french press, which i think is the best way to enjoy coffee

and mmm, this kona is goooooood!  :clap:

i also enjoy several frou-frou drinks as well (as my dad would call them).... namely a hazelnut latte, and my favorite drink is oregon chai with 2 shots of espresso...  thats the best drink, the perfect blend... you get the sweetness of the chai (has to be oregon chai, that other stuff sucks) and the 2 shots cut down on the sweetness just enough, and add a bit of the bitter coffee flavor making it a wonderful drink...

so who else here really gets into their coffee?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

when i lived in Hawaii, i got really spoiled with the Kona.
i brought pounds back for my Mom and myself, but havent really
tried to seek it out since then.

i drink two or three 16oz cups of coffee a day.
i used to get any flavored coffee (hazelnut, vanilla nut, butter toffee NO FRENCH VANILLA) and drink it black.sometimes a straight up, non-flavored black coffee is good for me, too
lately i coat the bottom of my cup ever-so slightly with some sort of flavored creamer.
and no sugar for this guy (as i type away with this toothache).

a

Hicks

No coffee for me, it gives me anxiety attacks.  Green tea is my drink.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

birdman

I take it black...like my men :-D

Seriously, one of my favorite moments of the day is the first cup...Usually maxewell house blend. If Im feeling particularly frisky, Ill buy something exoctic, but generally its too expensive for us as we drink alot of coffee.
Paug FTMFW!

susep

I drink 2 cups of joe to begin my day.  I like all kinds, light on the sugar w/ milk.  I'm enjoying my second cup right now. 
Usually after I finish my java I segue to my first bowl. :mrgreen:

rowjimmy

I'm a black coffee guy. usually one cup a day, now. more than that makes me tweak.
I'll drink coffee from anywhere if needs be, even the jiffy Lube sludge.

At home we have a single cup machine... Senseo (sp?) and it makes a pretty good cup.

We brought some beans back from Jamaica for 'special occaisions'. for that we'll rock the french press.

jedifunk

yeah, i'm a black as night coffee guy as well... no cream, no sugar... all coffee!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phatyphil

yes!!!! coffee is my great friend.  i was actually coffee free all the way up until summer tour 2004 somewhere on the way to alpine valley when i tried a mocha and it changed my world forever.  now i live in oregon where espresso is the unofficial state drink and 'oregon speed balls' are the unofficial state past time.  i LOVE the light roast coffee (more caffeine) ground to a dust a put in my espresso machine.  then added to steamed milk with a dash of cinnamon, chocolate and raw sugar.  yum.  all this talking makes me realize it's about that time, me being awake and all. 

sls.stormyrider

another caffeine addict. black, just plain coffee.

I get my coffee from a place called Thanskgiving Coffee company in Fort Bragg CA, partly cause I like the coffee, partly cause I like the company policy, and partly cause of this story:

We were in Mendocino on vaca a few years ago, and the coffee there was Glendeven Inn Blend by thanksgiving (you can guess the name of the B+B. I saw one of their stores downtown and asked for this Blend, but they didn't know what it was. they sent me to what I thought was their main store in Fort Bragg (next town over). We get there, and it was more of a wharehouse. Some guy walks up to me and asked me if he can help. I told him and he asked the guy next to him what the blend was, and made some up. We started chatting and it turns out this guy was the owner of the company. He took me back to the "cupping room" to taste some new blends. He finds out I'm from NY and tells me his story,
He was lying on the ground, tripping one night in Washington Sq park, when 2 people stip over him. he looks up and it was Dylan and Joan Baez. Not sure what the relevance of this was, but he decided to leave NY after he got back from Woodstock, and just got this idea of becoming a coffee roaster. He bought this old roasting machine and carried it cross country and went into business.
He uses only fair trade shade grown coffee from renewable resources. He and his son frequently go to South America to meet the growers and support them. He has this huge compost heap on site (he proudly showed me his worms) and the trucks run on bio-deisel.
The company is a great example of how you can make a good product, be environmentally and 3rd world friendly, and make a profit. check them out at Thanksgivingcoffee.com

sorry for the long post, but I like to support this company.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Bobafett

one of my evil passions...when i moved to Flagstaff i was a baker in a coffe shop that roasted their own beans and i got hooked.  It was beneficial for my 6 day a week graveyard shift, but i began to drink about 12 double shots a night and wondered why i couldnt sleep at night(during the day)  so i eventually weened off the espresso by pulling 15 shots into a container(i baked with it!) and would collect all the crema off it and just eat/drink that...now i usually have one triple-shot with steamed half and half per day. :mrgreen:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

jedifunk

lookout, i'm heading off topic here for a quick sec (but hey, i started this thread)...

fett - i've gathered that you're a baker who owns his own bakery... do you mail order?  if so, what type of baked goods do you offer, and how do i go about getting some?

ok, back on topic... we typically by peace coffee, which is fair trade, organic shade grown, and i believe is roasted locally here in the twin cities... its about $1 more per pound, but i think its worth it, not only because of the flavor, but because i feel like its helping someone back where the beans are grown.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Bobafett

oui oui sir...we can do mail order, we offer some of the best bread in the states(not just b/c its my place, our baker has 20 yrs exp. across the states) my fav. is ciabatta or Rosemary garlic sourdough, which is our saturday special bread...our sandwich today is the Italian Job, eggplant parmesean on rmsourdoh...shoot me a personal email and we can talk further, i don' want to waste everyone time on this thread!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

jedifunk

YES! K+ for yummy bread
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Red Sea Pedestrian

My works in turkey a lot, and he brought back home with him a coffee machine that makes decent turkish coffee. I really like it. It makes me feel ethnic.

Other then that, I just like plain coffee.

Oh, and if you live in New York or happen to find yourself in SoHo, check out the Aroma coffehouse there. They are an Israeli chain, and they make a kickass cup o' joe.

kellerb

I am a coffee addict.  Much like beer, I feel I am a reverse connoisseur.  Normally I just make regular old folgers, with cream & sugar.  If I not at the office or home, my favorite coffee is gas-station coffee, out of those big coffee-makers with the two coffee-pot-hot-plates on top.  Except when I happen to be in the Northeast, where  dunkin' donuts still exists.  That shit is good too.  Especially b/c I always seem to have a hangover when I'm in the northeast

-keller