News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

mmm, coffee

Started by jedifunk, February 10, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

GBL, that's like comparing crack to cocaine.  :wink:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

I get my coffee from Thanksgiving coffee in Cali (see post on 1st page of thread for more info). Lots of their proceeds go to good environmental causes, etc. They were grower friendly and environmentally conscious before anyone else was talking about it

My wife has started getting Black Rifle Coffee - they send proceeds to Veteran's causes. I always supported Vets, especially since my step son enlisted
Both companies make very good coffee

For brewing, I prefer pour over for 1 - 3 cups. To make a pot I use a Techno Vorum Mocha Master - love it
One of the best wedding gifts we got was a Breville Espresso / Cappucino machine that gets use on weekend afternoons, etc.

don't underestimate burr grinders
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

ph92

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on January 23, 2020, 09:39:56 AM
don't underestimate burr grinders
Key point here.

I have a friend who will bust out a particle size analyzer for when he buys a new batch of beans to see specifically how fine to grind them.... But his kitchen also looks like a meth lab with all the coffee brewing gear he owns. I'm not that crazy, I swear.

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

pcr3

I use this to hand grind my beans coarsely for cold brew:

https://handground.com/

I drink this stuff black, which I never did before cold brewing.  Also, I use beans that I buy in bulk from Wegmans, so it's not like I'm spending a lot on the product.  I am, however, enjoying the best coffee I've ever had every single day.  I think  :sbw::wtu:, and vtsunrise may have all tried it and enjoyed it...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Caravan2001

Quote from: pcr3 on January 23, 2020, 04:48:36 PM

I drink this stuff black, which I never did before cold brewing.  Also, I use beans that I buy in bulk from Wegmans, so it's not like I'm spending a lot on the product.  I am, however, enjoying the best coffee I've ever had every single day.  I think  :sbw::wtu:, and vtsunrise may have all tried it and enjoyed it...

I got a cold brew rig for Xmas and am still trying to get it dialed in.  The grind size makes a huge difference as to the effectiveness so I might check this out.  I'm slowly getting it better, the first couple of batched were rough.  I rarely drink hot coffee.

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 27, 2020, 06:11:26 PM

I got a cold brew rig for Xmas and am still trying to get it dialed in.  The grind size makes a huge difference as to the effectiveness so I might check this out.  I'm slowly getting it better, the first couple of batched were rough.  I rarely drink hot coffee.
I put my cold brew set up away cause I kept overshooting the mark and getting wayyy cracked out during the day. I tend to like mine dark, so I'd usually do a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to water. I just never liked how 1:2 concentrate to water tasted.

But I use a Toddy Coffee setup when I make it. Have a pretty dialed in system.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on January 27, 2020, 06:17:51 PM

I put my cold brew set up away cause I kept overshooting the mark and getting wayyy cracked out during the day. I tend to like mine dark, so I'd usually do a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to water. I just never liked how 1:2 concentrate to water tasted.

Yeah, weird, I have been unable to get mine dark enough, even after 18 hours.  That's why I think my grind is not small enough but I don't want to get coffee through the filter.  Mine is a Zulay...pretty cheap but it was a gift so giving it a shot.

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 27, 2020, 07:51:15 PM

Yeah, weird, I have been unable to get mine dark enough, even after 18 hours.  That's why I think my grind is not small enough but I don't want to get coffee through the filter.  Mine is a Zulay...pretty cheap but it was a gift so giving it a shot.
Yeah the toddy is way different than what you have. But I use 12oz grounds to 64oz of water, I use a super coarse grid since gravity and a wool filter are what I'm working with. But it's a pretty solid outcome when I leave it for like 16-18 hrs. Honestly, it's so strong sometimes I'll do a second brew with a few ounces of fresh grounds mixed in.
Make America Melt Again!

pcr3

Quote from: ph92 on January 28, 2020, 12:23:50 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 27, 2020, 07:51:15 PM

Yeah the toddy is way different than what you have. But I use 12oz grounds to 64oz of water, I use a super coarse grid since gravity and a wool filter are what I'm working with. But it's a pretty solid outcome when I leave it for like 16-18 hrs. Honestly, it's so strong sometimes I'll do a second brew with a few ounces of fresh grounds mixed in.

Mine sits in the fridge brewing for 36-48 hours.  First batch, first time trying it, I forgot that it was concentrate, so I drank a big ole glass of it on the rocks.  Tasted...intense, and not in a good way.  I was pretty disappointed, but got through the glass somewhat quickly.  About a half hour later I was sweating and gritting my teeth like I had done two grams of coke in 5 minutes...

Now I generally do 1:1 water to concentrate, sometimes a little bit more water.  Like a good scotch, that extra water actually brings out all of the flavors.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mistercharlie

BUMP

So the wife bought us some of the Pollock Blend from Commonplace Coffee and I have got to say that this is, excuse me, a DAMN fine cup of coffee! I've had 'I can't tell you' how many cups of coffee in my life and this is one of the best.

Really tasty stuff.

Bonus is that it came with a cool little walking coffee cup sticker by Pollock taboot!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

jedifunk

for anyone that travels or perhaps heading to a phish show soon, I've been using this great app for finding excellent specialty coffee shops around the world.

https://www.roasters.app

its aimed at specialty/third wave shops, so if you like v60, chemex, single origins this could be helpful for you.

enjoy
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Bobafett

Somehow I missed this thread back in the day.  I started my specialty coffee journey as a head baker for a coffee roaster with 4 cafes in flagstaff 23 years ago.  I hate baking!  Fast forward to 2020, left the restaurant business and moved back to work for the same company as their GM.  I do all the bean purchasing and most of the roasting. 

I recently have been enjoying a nice natural processed Kenyan that has some delicious fruit punch and honeydew flavors.

I am as into coffee as I am into Phish!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

jedifunk

that's amazing! finding specialty coffee on my travels is an obsession for me.

I'm building out a new feature for my blog that maps all the best roasters and coffee shops I've found.

as I said above, that app has really helped me a lot since I found it towards the end of last year.

I also keep tasting notes from each cup I have... here's a few of my favorites recently:

Quote3/19 - MTRM Roast, Budapest
Wonderful, wonderful spot. Out of the center in a random neighborhood. Charmingly rustic vibes and nice owners.
Colombia. Geisha. Washed. Fermented. V60. Gigante, Huila. Los Patios.
Wow! Sweet peaches! So good. Floral notes of rose hips to finish. Fantastic cup!

Quote3/13 - Nomad Coffee Lab, Barcelona
My favorite in the world. Can't come to Barca and not visit.
Colombia Peach. V60. Caturra varietal. 1930m. Culturing process. Peach, apricots and cane sugar. https://nomadcoffee.es/products/peach
Peach comes through from the start. The apricot and sugar cane blend to give you a wonderful jam finish. Delightful cup.

Quote2/23 - kartell collective, Marrakech
Beautiful space. Lots of plants. Outdoor space.
Costa Rican, v60. Tarrazu, Cordilla del Fuego. Honey process. Oh what I've missed. Punchy and rich. Black currants and honey. Spices on the finish.
El salvedorean. V60. Vega Ans, Andres Salaverria. Honey process. Black tea & dates. Yum
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio