News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

The VA Beach DaaM got me motivated to listen to the entire summer '97 tour.  I'm about half way through (at the Gorge) and I'm enjoying the experience tremendously.  Every night has something great!  There were a handful of shows (Atlanta, Phoenix) that I've never heard before.  The Atlanta YEM is one of the top musical moments thus far, as was the video with LeRoi.  Obviously, the first 2 nights of the tour are fantastic.  This first night of the Gorge is amazing, too...7 tunes over 15 minutes long!

I'm already planning on listening to fall '97 in order next, but I'm pretty familiar with all of those shows.  Maybe I'll jump back to February and do both European tours as well and just knock out the entire year.  hmmmmmm.

Feel free to add any comments on particular shows or jams you love from '97 or any anecdotal tour stories.  I recall summer '96 being the first tour in which a lot of people did the whole thing, but that wasn't as expansive of a tour as summer '97.  I know a lot of folks did the entire thing in 1997.  I did the last 9 shows of the tour.  What an experience to do that at 19 years old!

mistercharlie

Deer Creek Night 1 set II is where it's at!!! That jam out Cities is some dirty and funky Phishy goodness. 4 "actual" songs played the entire set. 5 if you count the rotation jam as a song and not a wierd-ass jam out of GTBT. Set I is no slouch either. That Gin is nice and the SOAM is filthy good!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM
I did the last 9 shows of the tour.  What an experience to do that at 19 years old!
Jealous!

I actually just started doing the same.  Just finished 7/26.  I must say that after 3 sets in a row of Bob Gullotti sitting in on drums has me anxious to hear just the 4 of 'em. 

Man, do I miss Izabella.

emay

nice, love some summer 97. So many good moments. Love that ATL show. The shoreline show is great too. I remember the Tinley Park Wolfmans was pretty chill funk jam too, albeit a little shorter than others. And Burgettstown Gumbo is another gem in the 2nd half of tour. Then the Darien Lake madness before my favorite Phish festival to listen to, The Great Went. enjoy! 

cactusfan

My favorite year of Phish.

The first night of the Gorge is one of my favorites. Every big song in the first set is a top version, and then they finally break out Tweezer for the first time in the funk era and it's a monster.

The summer tour is so joyful, they're so excited at having found their new sound, and exploring what they can do with it.

kellerb

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 03, 2020, 10:50:39 AM
Deer Creek Night 1 set II is where it's at!!! That jam out Cities is some dirty and funky Phishy goodness. 4 "actual" songs played the entire set. 5 if you count the rotation jam as a song and not a wierd-ass jam out of GTBT. Set I is no slouch either. That Gin is nice and the SOAM is filthy good!

Yuuuum  Ear Pissssss

susep

Nearly done w/ Fall 97.  Definitely have heard new things I hadn't before as far as individual songs.  The 12/13 Vultures for example.  A tune from a new '97 batch that really triggers nostalgia.  I've always tended to go for the dank funk jams from Fall, there are some great, darker ambient sides as well.  They were hitting on all cylinders for sure.

anthrax

Quote from: kellerb on June 03, 2020, 11:14:12 AM

Yuuuum  Ear Pissssss

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
from r/phish

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on June 03, 2020, 12:36:03 PM

Yuuuum  Ear Pissssss

from r/phish

That's some of the best reporting that The Indianapolis Star has ever done, actually. Usually reading that paper was just an hour of them shitting into my eyes and me sitting there hating every minute of it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 03, 2020, 12:48:38 PM
Quote from: anthrax on June 03, 2020, 12:36:03 PM

Yuuuum  Ear Pissssss

from r/phish

That's some of the best reporting that The Indianapolis Star has ever done, actually. Usually reading that paper was just an hour of them shitting into my eyes and me sitting there hating every minute of it.
So, in your professional opinion, ear piss is more favorable than eye shit?

mattstick

Other Appreciation threads that we should have if this one is actually necessary:
Ice Cream
Beer
Beautiful Women
etc.

I saw Chicago 8/8, Alpine 8/9 and Darien Lake 8/14 that summer, then Cleveland 12/5 > Auburn Hills 12/6 > Dayton 12/7, Rocheste 12/11 > Albany 12/12 & 12/13.

natronzero

Quote from: mattstick on June 03, 2020, 03:38:48 PM

Other Appreciation threads that we should have if this one is actually necessary:
Ice Cream
Beer
Beautiful Women
etc.

I saw Chicago 8/8, Alpine 8/9 and Darien Lake 8/14 that summer, then Cleveland 12/5 > Auburn Hills 12/6 > Dayton 12/7, Rocheste 12/11 > Albany 12/12 & 12/13.

I think Ice Cream is the only one we're missing, and I'm down if y'all are!

Dallas and Austin were my first shows, Dayton was my third.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mistercharlie

Quote from: natronzero on June 03, 2020, 04:54:46 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 03, 2020, 03:38:48 PM

Ice Cream
Beer
Beautiful Women
etc.

I think Ice Cream is the only one we're missing, and I'm down if y'all are!

Dallas and Austin were my first shows, Dayton was my third.

We bought some vanilla bean Cashew milk ice cream and some Raspberry Gelato to mix into an amazing vegan summer time on the porch treat.

anthrax

Keep that shit outta here.  Get your own thread :samurai:

:-P

emay

speaking of ice cream and 1997, Phish Food came out in March '97 with that Flynn Theater show to celebrate. Some video of that would be sick. 

https://phish.net/setlists/phish-march-18-1997-the-flynn-theatre-burlington-vt-usa.html