News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/01 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 02, 2009, 01:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

I just got home from a "non" wireless week of vacationing up in northern Maine a couple of hours ago.  As soon as I was done unpacking and the such I downloaded this.  I have so much catching up to do I'm not sure where to start.  I'm currently on The Curtain With.  It sounds like the Red Rocks run was pretty sweet from begining to end.  I had 7/30 and 7/31 with me for the trip and enjoyed 7/31 a lot.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mistercharlie

Quote from: Undermind on August 08, 2009, 05:07:26 PM
I just got home from a "non" wireless week of vacationing up in northern Maine a couple of hours ago.  As soon as I was done unpacking and the such I downloaded this.  I have so much catching up to do I'm not sure where to start.  I'm currently on The Curtain With.  It sounds like the Red Rocks run was pretty sweet from begining to end.  I had 7/30 and 7/31 with me for the trip and enjoyed 7/31 a lot.
Set I for this night is the best 1st set, Wait until you get to 08-2!! Then you can go ahead and skip 08-05, Except the  DWD, and move straight into 08-07, and be prepared to have your face ruled.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Undermind

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 08, 2009, 06:31:26 PM
Set I for this night is the best 1st set, Wait until you get to 08-2!! Then you can go ahead and skip 08-05, Except the  DWD, and move straight into 08-07, and be prepared to have your face ruled.

Thanks for the advice.  It sounds like I should have plenty of time to listen to the shows that I missed tonight as there doesn't seem to be any streaming going on at the Gorge.
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

mistercharlie

Quote from: Undermind on August 08, 2009, 07:13:15 PM

Thanks for the advice.  It sounds like I should have plenty of time to listen to the shows that I missed tonight as there doesn't seem to be any streaming going on at the Gorge.

Yeah, no streams, but we've still been having good times on the live setlist threads.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Undermind

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 08, 2009, 07:15:21 PM
Quote from: Undermind on August 08, 2009, 07:13:15 PM

Yeah, no streams, but we've still been having good times on the live setlist threads.

Yeah I'm looking forward to tonight's.  I even picked up a 5 Hour Energy just in case it is needed as I woke up at 6am eastern time this morning to pack and hit the road home.

mattstick

Have we talked about the LA Woman tease in DWD?

This might be the best show I've seen since 7/11/00.

side note: Trey's tone sounds much harsher on these SBDs than it did amongst those Red Rock formations.

Superfreakie

Quote from: mattstick on August 08, 2009, 07:53:26 PM

side note: Trey's tone sounds much harsher on these SBDs than it did amongst those Red Rock formations.

As I said to Slim, ditch the boards and get the B&K's. And while I am aware from an old post you feel B&K/DPA's light on the low end (I think you made the comment in the Asheville thread), this source is money. I actually enjoy their transparency, especially when a room is conducive to huge bass, which inevitably tends to wipe out many Schoeps models as well as other makes of mics.  
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

7:15 into DWD on the LivePhish SBD is the LA Woman tease.

VA $l!m

this is VERY VERY VERY true.
i really was sober enough to completely be objective as to the sounds i was perceiving throughout the run, and i did not once think  trey's tone was annoying in the slightest bit. though when i listen to the SBDs from these shows i absolutely cant stand it. in fact i just listened to the SBD ghost/wolfmans from the first night and thought to myself that i couldnt ever listen to it again i hated how it sounded so much. i guess i'll be ditching the boards from now on.

though i DO also think that the live mix is not as good as it could be. the sound guy is new, right? if it is a new guy, i'd definitely say he has some learning to do. though i do believe that Trey could help the sitchey as well. there is no way i could believe that if trey actually listened to the boards himself that he could be happy how they sound...... hmmm.....
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

so, rocking through these RR shows again today.
i still consider this first set one of the best of the summer. guyute being the only real low point for me. i dont mind the placement, but the flubs are annoying. i say shelf it if you cant nail a tune like this. just my opinion.
a couple of new things i noticed this time around. 1. this TUBE is teh H34t!! PAGe and Mike absolutely tear this version to bits!! i hope people go back and chekc this one out a few more times. i now want to go back and compare to the PITT version that i dug the most from the first leg to see which i like th emost.
2. even though people are hating on this somg, and i admit i took off for the bathroom when it started, this verison of ALASKA is PERFECTed. A+. i'm not sure of they will ever play a better version and i dig it 100%.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: VA slim on August 09, 2009, 06:25:38 PM

i really was sober enough to completely be objective as to the sounds i was perceiving throughout the run, and i did not once think  trey's tone was annoying in the slightest bit. though when i listen to the SBDs from these shows i absolutely cant stand it. in fact i just listened to the SBD ghost/wolfmans from the first night and thought to myself that i couldnt ever listen to it again i hated how it sounded so much. i guess i'll be ditching the boards from now on.

At every show I saw this summer, Trey's tone sounded SOOO much better than it comes out on the LP sbds

Bring in the dude!

blatboom

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 22, 2009, 02:43:29 AM

At every show I saw this summer, Trey's tone sounded SOOO much better than it comes out on the LP sbds

it sounds gross.  plus they have him way too loud on top of that.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: blatboom on August 22, 2009, 02:57:25 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 22, 2009, 02:43:29 AM

it sounds gross.  plus they have him way too loud on top of that.

yep, WAY too damn loud
Bring in the dude!