News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/20 - Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Hicks, October 20, 2013, 11:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sMILEy

If i would of known tickets grew on trees, i would of for sure made the trek down!
Looking forward to giving this a listen tonight, was way too tired last night to follow.
After talking to SF yesterday, not much positive was said about the first two nights, really glad this third night was finally worth the listen.
Really excited for this... Tweezer> Golden Age> Piper> Taking Care of Business  :music:

Hicks

Quote from: sophist on October 21, 2013, 02:11:19 PM
Golden Age is awesome as well. 

Honestly though, they lose me after this. 

I would have much rather seen

Paul & Silas > Tweezer -> Golden Age -> Piper > Slave

Encore:  ADITL > Taking Care of Business

Keep it simple, keep it improv focused.  The first half of the set is some of the better 3.0 playing out there.

I liked Piper and thought the segue into TCOB was slick and the cover was classic Phish being Phish.

2001 had a little extra sauce and was tasty too. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

I'm not saying they're bad versions.  I just think it goes back to the classic conundrum of 3.0, cramming way too many songs into a set, and not leaving the necessary space to step back and play to the moment. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

The TCOB couldn't have happened on its own. The > from Piper was seamless.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

DoW

Quote from: sophist on October 21, 2013, 02:15:59 PM
I'm not saying they're bad versions.  I just think it goes back to the classic conundrum of 3.0, cramming way too many songs into a set, and not leaving the necessary space to step back and play to the moment.
this show was 19 songs.  I think 17 is a good number, but 19 or 20 is fine and many great shows have more songs than that or around the same number.

I haven't listened to this show yet and probably won't until after Hartford, but on paper, I think the nmber of songs seemed right.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VDB

Yeah TCOB was such a perfect call there and the segue so good, it was right where it needed to be. I had a big stupid grin on my face; so fun. At first it sounded like we were gonna get a Real Me. Love that song but for this moment I'm glad it was the BTO tune.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 21, 2013, 03:08:55 PM
Yeah TCOB was such a perfect call there and the segue so good, it was right where it needed to be. I had a big stupid grin on my face; so fun. At first it sounded like we were gonna get a Real Me. Love that song but for this moment I'm glad it was the BTO tune.

I heard Real Me for a second, then it was more like Bag, then TCOB and then  :rawk:

gah

Not much paug time when you're having fun but we did have a couple meet ups occur
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: blatboom on October 21, 2013, 12:19:39 PM
I just don't understand why that can't play like that every night when they're clearly capable

It's improv mang! That's the way it works -- sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't.  It's not always something you have control over

And when your band doesn't practice.... it doesn't click so often...

Psyched to hear this Tweezer!
Bring in the dude!

Augustus

I like the Tweezer.
Really enjoyed the last 4 minutes the most.
You figured they would stop, but they pushed on and it was cool.
Golden Age was laughable.
Trey doesn't attempt to hit the high notes and forgets half the lyrics.
He also stops playing the main riff during most if the song.
The jam was pretty basic and then they made some noise.
The End.

Hicks

Sounded like they had practiced TCOB and that's why they were able to segue into it so smoothly and play it well. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

The unique take on Slave deserves note -- they spent a while just varying the dynamics before jumping into Trey's usual fast-strum finish. Dynamism is something they generally haven't paid much attention to this era, but when they do, as in the Tahoe Tweezer for example, hey whaddya know, it pays off.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on October 21, 2013, 03:56:30 PM
Sounded like they had practiced TCOB and that's why they were able to segue into it so smoothly and play it well.

Except Mike. He just leaned against the wall and nodded his head.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 21, 2013, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 21, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Except Mike. He just leaned against the wall and nodded his head.

lol, yeah always wondered about that scene, I guess he's just "that good". 

Caravan2001

The Slave was really cool.  I've never seen Trey do volume swells quite like that. It was dope.