News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Yup.
I also brought home a stack of used vinyl from my Father-In Law.
There's some def. crap in the stack but the 45s have some seriously choice cuts (elvis. Chuck Berry on Chess; Buddy Holly)

ytowndan

I just got into vinyl recently.  I scored a technics 1200 MK2 this weekend!  All it needs is a new needle! 

So far my "collection" consists of The White Album, and the new Trey album that has yet to arrive.  :-D

I have a pretty addictive personality when it comes to my hobby's, so I'm sure that my collection will grow in no time. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VA $l!m

Quote from: ytowndan on June 15, 2008, 10:47:24 PM
I just got into vinyl recently.  I scored a technics 1200 MK2 this weekend!  All it needs is a new needle! 

So far my "collection" consists of The White Album, and the new Trey album that has yet to arrive.  :-D

I have a pretty addictive personality when it comes to my hobby's, so I'm sure that my collection will grow in no time. 

i used to have a bitch of a time finding the right needles.

but i guess these days with the interweb it must be a lot easier......

which just gave me a great idea!!
i still have my old onkyo ttble in the basement here. something was broken on it, can't remember; i ended up buying the  technics back in 99 that i still have in NY, but maybe i could fix up my onkyo one now.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Wh00p!
Lost lost all self-control and ordered the new Spiritualized from amazon.uk and got an email that the Trey album has shipped!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

paste has a good article on vinyl shops in the new issue.

here's the digital issue:

http://www.bluetoad.com/publisher/pastemag/Paste_Magazine/issue6/magazine.php?mag=Paste_Magazine&type=2&logo=0&issueid=undefined&pre=1

"The 17 Coolest Record Stores in America"

can't wait to get back to the windy city to check out the one there....
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

rowjimmy

Dusty Groove is awesome.
Igbo and I have been shopping on their website for years.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2008, 10:31:48 AM
Dusty Groove is awesome.
Igbo and I have been shopping on their website for years.

oh right?
i'm excited to make it there...

the only one i've been to is the one in lousiville, KY
Ear-X-tacy.
overloaded me the first time.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

Newbury Comics is a great store.

Surprised Ameoba records in SF isn't there.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on June 17, 2008, 10:39:32 AM
Newbury Comics is a great store.

Surprised Ameoba records in SF isn't there.

Yeah that's a crime, the SF Amoeba is the mecca of record stores I can't walk in there without dropping over $100.

A chain of one stop stores, kind of like a local Wal-Mart I suppose, here in the NW called Fred Meyer accidently ordered the new REM album on vinyl and they sold so well that they are going to start testing different titles in vinyl on their music section.  Now I can pick up some vinyls with my groceries, how cool is that?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2008, 10:06:11 PM
got an email that the Trey album has shipped!

same - about time!!  mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!!

Quote from: Hicks on June 17, 2008, 01:09:19 PM
A chain of one stop stores, kind of like a local Wal-Mart I suppose, here in the NW called Fred Meyer accidently ordered the new REM album on vinyl and they sold so well that they are going to start testing different titles in vinyl on their music section.  Now I can pick up some vinyls with my groceries, how cool is that?

read about that, pretty smart of the managers to try to sell them (i think some sent it back!).  vinyl will never be the top selling format ever again, but it's not dead and will continue to be embraced by music fans for years to come.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Now I can pick up some vinyls with my groceries, how cool is that?

totally jealous.

rowjimmy

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on June 17, 2008, 01:27:52 PM
Now I can pick up some vinyls with my groceries, how cool is that?

totally jealous.

And here, I'm ordering records from the UK...
Totally jealous.

Caravan2001

Sweet Dual, Tet...I have a 1229.  I'll post some pics when I have the time.  As far as records, I have about 1500 LPS, 800 of which are punk/hardcore and the rest a mix of Jamaican (Reggae/Ska) and some classic rock and obviously hip-hop.  I also have about 200 7", which are all punk/hardcore.  I had a huge collection, but have really started weeding out over the last couple of years, since punk records on ebay are going for ridiculous prices.  Just sold my Deep Wound 7" for $325, which is great considering I got it for $5....but now I don;t have it, which sucks.....I know I will regret selling a lot of them, but with the dollar so weak, the Euros will pay bank for american punk.....

tet

wow, that's a nice markup!   :-o
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Holy cow! What a day at the sales.

Scored a dozen or so LPs:
Bobby & The Midnights
Moby Grape
Dylan (shot of Love & Pat Garrett)
Butterfield Blues Band
The Zombies
Pet Sounds
& more

Portable record player that'll handle 78s (much needed)

and a Beautiful Dual 506 fitted with a Grado cartridge.
First spin of it now with Blue Trane...

:-D