News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/25 The Forum - Inglewood, CA - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, July 26, 2015, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Not trying to troll here, but is there a worse Tweezer in recent years?

emay

this yem is good for 3.0
I dont hear too much awesomeness I think the MPP2 from 2014 and the vegas one is better.

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on July 27, 2015, 03:51:50 PM

Not trying to troll here, but is there a worse Tweezer in recent years?

In terms of blue ballage? Telluride?
Is this still Wombat?

emay

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

as a standalone song, the Tweezer isn't much, but i like how it works in the flow of the set. as part of a larger musical piece, it does what it needs to do.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sophist on July 27, 2015, 03:43:07 PM
I found this first set to be pretty boring too.  Martian Monster > DWD was cool as an opener.  After that, they kinda lost me

I like WOTC to close a set, I just wish they took it for more of a ride.

I only listened to the 1st so far and I guess my hopes were maybe a tad too high cause I thought the Martian Monster was meh, DWD short. I know, 1st set, bla bla. The redeeming part of it for me, came at the end with Limb by Limb through WOTC.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 27, 2015, 06:00:41 PM
alpharetta 2011 during the rainstorm

Heh, that one even pissed me off while watching the webcast. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

sophist

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 27, 2015, 11:16:44 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 27, 2015, 06:00:41 PM
alpharetta 2011 during the rainstorm

That one WAS pretty rough.
worst. show. EVAH. 

Anyway, this second set is pretty standard 3.dubs to me.  I didn't really walk away with anything special from it. 
-----------------------------------------
I think through four shows, they have two really good sets 7/22 set II and 7/24 set II, and the rest is pretty much forgettable to me.  I view this two ways, hopefully, they shake the rest of the rust off through Texas and the corner turns this weekend  :evil:  :roll: or this is the pace of the tour  :|
which if that's the case, I'm a little sad to see all that FTW practice be for nothing.  I mean, I think they sound better, but at the same time, they are still pulling a lot of the same shit that halts momentum, makes a set meander, and generally I think loses a crowd at times during the show. 

Trey is leading, but its also kinda a relative term at the same time.  He's not really leading like he did before, and this still isn't balls to the wall, light speed through the psychedelic vortex Phish either.  I'll admit, I find the jams so far more interesting than anything last fall, I think they are still building off the momentum of years past as they continue to get their legs underneath them.  At the same time though, I hate to be that guy, but it's been over five fucking years, and if you can't step your professional craft up by then, I'm left kinda speechless. 

I'm not fleeing the run this weekend.  I paid for my three tickets through PTBM, and I'm very excited knowing this will be one of my last times to travel for them in a long time.  Plus, I get to see a lot of good friends, and I'm hoping the music equates to my experience.  New job on the horizon this fall, wedding in the spring, and buying a house too.  Next summer I just assume I will be house and wedding poor.  So I'm grateful for three shows, and I'm pretty excited for three shows too. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

I think one thing that is deterring a gradual rise in musicianship and craft with them is that they take a lot of time off from Phish and eachother. As RJ said in a previous thread, its hard to keep momentum, ideas, fluidity of playing with eachother, when you only play about 20-25 shows a year and 4/5 of those shows take place within one months time.

I have some hope for this tour.
We are only 4 shows in and I think by Alpine they should be on fire and hopefully busting out some bigger jams.
What worries me is all the new songs getting thrown in the rotation and having songs like Bowie and YEM getting shelved and only played twice in a summer.
Either way I am still stoked for Raleigh and Merriweather and Dicks of course, magneball is still up in the air.

rowjimmy

The rehearsal is really only helping Trey play more fluidly. The band as a whole still need its time together. If there were a Fall tour ahead, I'd book as many shows as possible because it would be off the chain.

As it is, I think Magnaball is likely to be a treat for all who attend.

As for this show in particular:

Set one opened strong right through the opening trio. Heavy things is a blip that I don't recall and don't need to. Thing spick back up with the mini rage of Axilla then some groovy Mike with 555. Limb is solid albeit not remarkable. Ya Mar is always fun. I found the Fuego > Walls to be a tight pairing of beefy tunes. I prefer my Fuego's to run 20+ minutes but they can't all do that.

Set two has good flow, despite the short Tweezer (which didn't suck, it was simply short.) NMINML is a cool tune to which I can dance. Carini rocks, the MFMF drops into Roggae nicely enough and both of those are always nice to hear. People hate on Number Line but this one worked well and dammit, that song is infectious as hell. and then the Slave... The Slave is good. and the YEM is fucking great.

emay

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 27, 2015, 05:44:16 PM
this yem is good for 3.0
I dont hear too much awesomeness I think the MPP2 from 2014 and the vegas one is better.

the spac 2012 yem encore peaks as well

Caravan2001

Finally got around to hearing the Martian Monster today.  Pretty rough version.  I would have been freaking out if I were there, but the execution is lukewarm at best.  Trey's initial attempts at leads are laughable.  It gets OK.  The DWD is solid.  So far SF is miles above any of the other shows this tour.

gainesvillegreen

There is short Phish that I like.
There is long Phish that I like.

This Limb falls into that short category.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.