News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016-10-31 - MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

Started by ytowndan, November 01, 2016, 03:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

What an unbelievably fun weekend. This band is simply the best. They continue to impress me like no other live act does. And man, the Paug... you guys... are just the best. Such a solid crew in attendance this weekend, love you guys.

So the music. I guess I'll be the first to dig in...

The Ziggy set was really something else. Felt pretty special. Watching Trey up there, looking dapper as fuck, singing lead w/o the guitar was worth the trip to Vegas alone for me. Such a rock star. (Page, on the other hand, always looks so damn goofy and awkward up there 'lead singing' lol.) The strings, the background vocalist, the whole sonic production was fantastic, and a refreshing sound for phish. I wasn't familiar enough with the album to know when things deviated from the original... but... it sure didn't seem like much did. That was my only complaint.. there was a song or two BEGGING to jaaaamm... and I thought it was coming at some point...but alas...

As for the rest of the show.....eeeehhhhhhhh..... 2001 definitely covered some unusual musical territory... other than that... it seemed standard 3.0. Most everything was well played, just didn't have the jams or flow of the first two nights, IMO - overall though, the setlist selection this weekend was pretty fantastic. They definitely didn't play heavily into the new material/slow tunes at the 'wrong times' like Trey loves to do sometimes.

Anyways. Awesome weekend. Best band ever.

Bring in the dude!

westcider

my only complaint is that they dropped the duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuuuh-duh part (bari sax?) in Moonage Daydream, one of my favorite songs of ever.  felt really really empty there. other than that...

Superfreakie

So our flights got delayed by three hours, missing all connecting flights. It'll now take mexit 24 hours to get home to Boston. But I'm 9 drinks deep at the airport bar and shirt is getting good ugly. My wife has disappeared......she didn't want to imbibe. Lord knows, I mightfind myself in a Mexican  brothel south of the border by the time I'm finished with this roll. Xanax and booze......what a twisted combo.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Thought the Ziggy set was very polished and practiced, they definitely did it justice. 

Pop star Trey was awesome and watching him share the mic with Page was a cool moment. 

Hoped they would stretch things out a bit, but still was very impressed with the set. 

For the Phish sets, my personal highlights were the funk trifecta of Wombat, Tube and Wolfmans in the first set and of course the 2001 in the second.  When Trey was playing Twist on the Marimba it seemed like a good time for Page or Mike to move back to their respective instruments to keep things going, but instead it turned into a musical culd de sac.  Getting to see Space Oddity in the same show as Ziggy was a special treat.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Oh yeah Petrichor was sweet too, I think it works in the live context and I definitely preferred it to the Ezrin'd version. 

ETA:  It's basically what TTE was trying to be. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on November 01, 2016, 11:37:24 PM
Oh yeah Petrichor was sweet too, I think it works in the live context and I definitely preferred it to the Ezrin'd version. 

ETA:  It's basically what TTE was trying to be.

A shit break instead of a piss break?  :mrgreen:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

GBL

This is the only show from the run that I've listened to or watched, and as far as the phish material goes I was a little underwhelmed.

I thought they reached a cool spot at the end of 46 days and the 2001 was super dope.

Even though the drum jam in twist was cool towards the end, in the middle I couldn't help but feel like I heard this already, like literally that same drums jam before.

Wish I was with all you crazies this past weekend of course!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

VDB

My first live Petrichor, and I agree it worked well. Seemed like it had a little more pop to it than, say, the Jacksonville version I viewed from my couch. Maybe as they play it more they're able to do it with more confidence and less trepidation. (Or maybe I'm imagining things.)

I'll also agree that the drums jam started off basically as a clone of the Dick's Piper segment. I've never really cared much for drums when other bands do it, so I don't view this as exclusively a Phish problem. I did appreciate that Trey at least figured out how to play the Twist melody on the marimba so that it was more than just them banging away on stuff for five minutes.
Is this still Wombat?

anthrax

Quote from: GBL on November 02, 2016, 11:46:13 AM
This is the only show from the run that I've listened to or watched, and as far as the phish material goes I was a little underwhelmed.

I thought they reached a cool spot at the end of 46 days and the 2001 was super dope.

Even though the drum jam in twist was cool towards the end, in the middle I couldn't help but feel like I heard this already, like literally that same drums jam before.

Listen to Atlanta and the first 3 vegas

runawayjimbo

Quote from: anthrax on November 02, 2016, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: GBL on November 02, 2016, 11:46:13 AM

Listen to Atlanta and the first 3 vegas

Don't forget Nashville!
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Caravan2001

I really liked Petrichor in Dallas.  I think Vegas and Dallas are the best two versions.  My kids loved it because they were sorting candy and I said "one more song and then to bed."  Of course, they were overjoyed to learn it was a 13 minute song and my 9 year old said "this is the only time I have ever wanted a Phish song to go on longer."  :laugh:

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 02, 2016, 05:18:01 PM
I really liked Petrichor in Dallas.  I think Vegas and Dallas are the best two versions.  My kids loved it because they were sorting candy and I said "one more song and then to bed."  Of course, they were overjoyed to learn it was a 13 minute song and my 9 year old said "this is the only time I have ever wanted a Phish song to go on longer.:laugh:

That sounds so familiar.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

I love this set 2 and first.
Was pretty tired by the third but really enjoyed  2001 and always love a slave peak. Rest  seemed little tired and unmotivated.

Watching them play Lady Stardust was bliss I mean who in that crowd didnt feel this way ("And he was alright, the band was altogether") and star man too. One thing that I also loved that deviated from the album is Rock N Roll suicide, starts out with just acoustic guitar and lyrics so trey could have take that intro in the spotlight, instead page starts it on grand and trey puts the guitar down to sing it with the backing of band and orchestra which was the highlight of the night for me I think.

So great seeing everyone this weekend !! Love you all so much and wouldn't be the same without you!

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 02, 2016, 05:18:01 PM
I really liked Petrichor in Dallas.  I think Vegas and Dallas are the best two versions.  My kids loved it because they were sorting candy and I said "one more song and then to bed."  Of course, they were overjoyed to learn it was a 13 minute song and my 9 year old said "this is the only time I have ever wanted a Phish song to go on longer."  :laugh:

Zing!  Sounds like you got a backlash kid brewing, she'll probably be goth in a couple years.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Hicks

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 02, 2016, 06:28:30 PM
I love this set 2 and first.
Was pretty tired by the third but really enjoyed  2001 and always love a slave peak. Rest  seemed little tired and unmotivated.

Watching them play Lady Stardust was bliss I mean who in that crowd didnt feel this way ("And he was alright, the band was altogether") and star man too. One thing that I also loved that deviated from the album is Rock N Roll suicide, starts out with just acoustic guitar and lyrics so trey could have take that intro in the spotlight, instead page starts it on grand and trey puts the guitar down to sing it with the backing of band and orchestra which was the highlight of the night for me I think.

So great seeing everyone this weekend !! Love you all so much and wouldn't be the same without you!

Yeah man, good to see you too!

Lady Stardust was my favorite of the Ziggy set as well, followed by Hang onto Yourself.