News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey at the Beacon Streams

Started by Hicks, September 14, 2020, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Horns plus the Ocedoc tonight!!  :banana:
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

kellerb

One more Beacon Stream left... it's gonna be gamehendge right?  W/ phish, the horns, & the rescue squad? :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

cactusfan

Listening to this Slave really makes one realize how key Fishman's drumming is to the whole feel of the song.

PIE-GUY

This is driving me a little crazy - but I think I've figured it out. There is a some pre-recorded Trey guitar in the last few minutes of this P&M and it kinda shreds. But nobody is playing that sound live. I thought at first it was Ray on some keyboard but he's solidly on the B3, so nope. Then it starts shredding and it's definitely Trey, but he's playing live with a really clean tone and the shredding is distorted as hell. A little trickery, if you ask me.

anthrax

^^^
1.  that tune is so amazing!
2.  quarantine has been good to chainsaw
3.  u sure, pg?  i have a hard time believing trey would throw in anything prerecorded.  did he loop it right as he picked up the electric?  can you send a specific time when you hear it loud and clear?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 30, 2020, 05:22:31 PM
This is driving me a little crazy - but I think I've figured it out. There is a some pre-recorded Trey guitar in the last few minutes of this P&M and it kinda shreds. But nobody is playing that sound live. I thought at first it was Ray on some keyboard but he's solidly on the B3, so nope. Then it starts shredding and it's definitely Trey, but he's playing live with a really clean tone and the shredding is distorted as hell. A little trickery, if you ask me.

Quote from: anthrax on November 30, 2020, 08:18:59 PM
3.  u sure, pg?  i have a hard time believing trey would throw in anything prerecorded.  did he loop it right as he picked up the electric?  can you send a specific time when you hear it loud and clear?

I start hearing it between 6 and 7 minutes in. But it's really obvious at 7:20-7:35 because Trey is playing much higher and this background guitar is shredding much lower and more distorted. It's a rocking guitar line... and nobody on that stage appears to be playing it. It sounds like signature Trey licks, too.

rowjimmy

Sounds like he laid down a loop...

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 01, 2020, 08:16:50 AM

but it doesn't sound like that at all. It is a guitar line that last as long as his solo and keeps changing. It's definitely not a loop. I'm telling you! Listen closely. It was pre-recorded. HAD TO BE!

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 01, 2020, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 01, 2020, 08:16:50 AM

but it doesn't sound like that at all. It is a guitar line that last as long as his solo and keeps changing. It's definitely not a loop. I'm telling you! Listen closely. It was pre-recorded. HAD TO BE!

I don't buy that Trey is prerecording lines.

Marmar

He may have been doing lines at one point in time....but those years are long gone....

But Pie is right....there is a second guitar sound....BUT, pay close attention....do you actually hear the B3 or are you hearing a B3 with some distortion on it playing those lines? Because I hear absolutely NO B3 at all. And I hear it Pie, the triplets and such...but I honestly think that is Ray doing some weird shit on the B3 vs. pre-recorded or looped parts by Trey.

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Marmar on December 01, 2020, 02:26:21 PM
He may have been doing lines at one point in time....but those years are long gone....

But Pie is right....there is a second guitar sound....BUT, pay close attention....do you actually hear the B3 or are you hearing a B3 with some distortion on it playing those lines? Because I hear absolutely NO B3 at all. And I hear it Pie, the triplets and such...but I honestly think that is Ray doing some weird shit on the B3 vs. pre-recorded or looped parts by Trey.

I'm pretty sure Arty is right. That's Ray playing those lines.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

It must be Shaky Fingers, then. It?s been messing with me!!

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 01, 2020, 03:16:03 PM
It must be Shaky Fingers, then. It?s been messing with me!!

I had to listen three times and watch both Trey and Ray (the few times they show him) to piece it together.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

I'm pretty sure it's Ray, but they don't show his hands at anytime where I'm hearing the distinct second melody...
Bring in the dude!