News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Another new Archival Release - 8/1/98 Alpine Valley

Started by PIE-GUY, June 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Fire.  Can't wait.
Vivid memories of the crowd freakouts at Ramble On and Been Caught Stealing.

ph92

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2020, 08:49:44 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on June 15, 2020, 09:51:47 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 15, 2020, 09:40:05 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on June 15, 2020, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 15, 2020, 06:43:22 PM
This was webcast? On AOL?
I remember this. Isn't this the first "official" Phish webcast.

Apparently 8/8/97 was the first one.

https://phish.net/setlists/phish-august-08-1997-new-world-music-theatre-tinley-park-il-usa

Lol at anyone being able to stream more than a few seconds of these shows at the time.

Vegas '00 was buffering non-stop, I can only imagine how bad these must have been.

My Vegas '00 worked pretty well. Of course, by then I had work paying for the best available DSL connection.

Dormitory ethernet came in handy that night.
Is this still Wombat?

pcr3

Quote from: VDB on June 16, 2020, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2020, 08:49:44 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on June 15, 2020, 09:51:47 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 15, 2020, 09:40:05 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on June 15, 2020, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 15, 2020, 06:43:22 PM
This was webcast? On AOL?
I remember this. Isn't this the first "official" Phish webcast.

Apparently 8/8/97 was the first one.

https://phish.net/setlists/phish-august-08-1997-new-world-music-theatre-tinley-park-il-usa

Lol at anyone being able to stream more than a few seconds of these shows at the time.

Vegas '00 was buffering non-stop, I can only imagine how bad these must have been.

My Vegas '00 worked pretty well. Of course, by then I had work paying for the best available DSL connection.

Dormitory ethernet came in handy that night.

Our home internet did not handle the stream very well that night.  Between the buffering and the robot sharts, I gave up after about 20 minutes.  Excited to hear this release!
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

anthrax

I was at the world in 97 and alpine in 98, so the first live stream I remember was vegas in 2000.  It didnt work great, but good enough for me to hear Trey in Mockingbird.  After which I immediately bought shoreline tix and a flight to san francisco.

Superfreakie

Quote from: anthrax on June 16, 2020, 02:56:57 PM
After which I immediately bought shoreline tix and a flight to san francisco.

Smart man...I did the same. Then I went on a hunt for the UFOs. So tiny the squares were, but oh so powerful.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

westcider

8/1/98 was my third show (first was 8/8/97 oddly enough) and the night I ate the most acid of my life.  I have been very eagerly awaiting this release, I thought it would never happen.  I'm almost frightened to listen to it, that night was really intense.

that night I also bought my favorite t-shirt of all time:  the Chunga's Revenge cover on the front and the Packard Goose quote on the back.  I very well may have paid a hundred bucks for it, there is no way of knowing for sure.

emay

really enjoying this release. Sounds great and one of my favorite tours.  :music:

mattstick

Agreed, great show and archives release. 

Heady Crosseyed teases in that 2001

susep

Listening now, Been Caught Stealin'.   :rawk:  Trey's solo rips. 

anthrax

churches should be built as a tribute to this wilson

Caravan2001

This show has definitely withstood the test of time.  Great release. We were toward the back of the pav and it was popping off.  We climbed up onto the bases of the roof supports and had a killer view for Been Caught Stealing.  Only time I can think of where crowd was more raucous during a cover drop was MMP Sabotage or the RATM thing (which I was not at).  High fives all around after this night for sure.

tet

have had a great copy of this show forever, but this is still a great upgrade. fantastic all around, and i really love both sets.

and maybe it's just my setup, but i felt that the drums were a bit thin in this mix - usually much meatier in '98.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Hicks

Yeah I wish this was a multitrack, it sounds fine but it's nowhere near the quality of the Grand Rapids 98 from last year. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2020, 11:35:52 PM
Yeah I wish this was a multitrack, it sounds fine but it's nowhere near the quality of the Grand Rapids 98 from last year.

Everything after '94 is multitrack but they choose to not use them, which is confounding cause every multitrack release sounds much better. Is it because they plan to eventually return to the gold mine and release tour box sets like the GD, with these billed as superior quality to what was previously released. They really suck at marketing their archives. The GD now have it down to a science. Not hard to see. Put together a great funky looking box, less a fucking glider, have someone write a 20 page booklet with great photos, and hire the absolute best to mix it (and for the love of God, please dump Kervorkian - he sucks).
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.