News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

sweet!  just got my Tijuana Moods back today, along with a bunch of other stuff my buddy was getting rid of.  some mahavishnu orchestra, weather report, herbie... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Here's a quick pic:

Note the original 6-eye Miles Davis - Milestones on there...

flufhed

I have really been wondering since I joined, where does the interest and passion that some of you have in vinyl come from? 

I truly am curious...as there are obviously still so many with a passion for collecting and enjoying vinyl...at the same time that music has become these tiny digital files...

Also it is surely a decent financial and time investment to buy records so constantly when they can't be as widely sold as they once were and likely don't compete with the cost of downloading a file, no?

Every time I see one, the artwork, the labels...they look cool as shit.  But I also always think what is the point of them anymore, but there obviously is one.  Please...educate me!

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 22, 2008, 09:54:52 PM
Here's a quick pic:

Note the original 6-eye Miles Davis - Milestones on there...
nice
very nice
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: flufhed on June 22, 2008, 10:19:40 PM
I have really been wondering since I joined, where does the interest and passion that some of you have in vinyl come from? 

I truly am curious...as there are obviously still so many with a passion for collecting and enjoying vinyl...at the same time that music has become these tiny digital files...

Also it is surely a decent financial and time investment to buy records so constantly when they can't be as widely sold as they once were and likely don't compete with the cost of downloading a file, no?

Every time I see one, the artwork, the labels...they look cool as shit.  But I also always think what is the point of them anymore, but there obviously is one.  Please...educate me!

a. it sounds better

b. its fun to collect

c. its an active listening experience as opposed to pushing a button or clicking a mouse
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

personally, even though i'm completely jaded since i lost my entire collection(yes i know everyone is sick of hearing about it... i'll stop)...

anyway, for me its a analog//digital thing.

i could pull up an old thread that really didnt go anywhere  except i posted to myself for a few pages...but
bottom line is that besides the nostalga/tactile-visual factor-- i prefer to listen to music that was recorded on analog equipment-- on analog equipment.  conversely, i prefer to listen to anythign recorded digitally on digital equipment. it all boils down to that for me.

besides it being a culture we have all been wrapped up in for years, all i'd have to do is pull out the 1st BLACK SABBATH LP or the 1st ALLMANS LP and put it on a turntable and crank it until my speakers fedback from the magnets, AND i garauntee you will never get the same sound out of a CD.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

flufhed

Quote from: VA slim on June 22, 2008, 11:08:16 PM

besides it being a culture we have all been wrapped up in for years, all i'd have to do is pull out the 1st BLACK SABBATH LP or the 1st ALLMANS LP and put it on a turntable and crank it until my speakers fedback from the magnets, AND i garauntee you will never get the same sound out of a CD.

I get what Hicks was saying about the active listening experience, and the fun it must be to collect them.  I realize now I must not have ever heard the right album played on the right equipment at the right volume though, cause I just don't get how it can sound better than digital.  I am not arguing that it doesn't...but my brain can't grasp it.  Where does the difference lie?  For someone like me who is not a musician by any standard...could I maybe not hear the difference if I tried?

VA $l!m

Quote from: flufhed on June 22, 2008, 11:12:56 PM

I get what Hicks was saying about the active listening experience, and the fun it must be to collect them.  I realize now I must not have ever heard the right album played on the right equipment at the right volume though, cause I just don't get how it can sound better than digital.  I am not arguing that it doesn't...but my brain can't grasp it.  Where does the difference lie?  For someone like me who is not a musician by any standard...could I maybe not hear the difference if I tried?
doubt this will help, but feel free to read it.
http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=3140.15
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

flufhed

Quote from: VA slim on June 22, 2008, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: flufhed on June 22, 2008, 11:12:56 PM

doubt this will help, but feel free to read it.
http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=3140.15

Actually Slim that did give me some more insight so thanks!  I realized what I was asking is why would someone prefer analog to digital and I understand that more.  Also, someone in that thread suggested that "the ears adjust over time" if one transitioned from listening to analog -> digital.  It might be the case for me I never trained my ear to hear analog too much in the first place.  Some old boots for sure, but if I understand this info I was likely listening to analog sources on digital players.  I'm on that generational line where I am fully aware of vinly and had some when I was a kid, but CD's came out and that was that.

I'd love to hear some good vinyl on the right system someday to see what I have been missing.

natronzero

Quote from: Hicks on June 22, 2008, 10:59:10 PM

c. its an active listening experience as opposed to pushing a button or clicking a mouse

For me this is probably the #1 reason. An album on vinyl forces you to take part in the listening experience, get up at least once to flip the record, take in the artwork and/or liner notes, actually interact with the music. It's the opposite of casual listening, like an aural equivalent of slow food.
As much as I also take advantage of the convenience of CDs, ipod, etc, and like that convenience for what it is, I feel like digital music has had an overall devaluing effect on the music experience for most people. You can get anything you want for free, so why pay for anything? Also, mp3s and burned CDs don't often come with artwork, liner notes, credits, even song titles sometimes. I've heard people say so many times "I don't know the names, but I like number 4 and number 7 best."
Also I like the way they sound and the fun of collecting.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

rowjimmy

Quote from: flufhed on June 22, 2008, 10:19:40 PM

Records can sound better. It requires proper but not crazy expensive playback to experience it. Some records released in the past 25 years do not sound better than their CD counterparts but that goes back to the original mastering and the cd probably sounds kinda like shit too so we'll leave those aside from this discussion.

Records are this big beautiful thing that contains music in its actual shape and form: vibration. Hicks and natronzero hit on the tactile thing well enough so I'll dwell on the vibration. The record groove contains a physical result of the sound wave which can simply be released without even the use of electricity. That's a powerful medium. Turn the speakers off and put your ear to the stylus as the record spins beneath it... sound. Put your amplification back on and let yourself be washed in tones wider and richer than a CD can contain.

You also mentioned financial concerns. I scored 13 records for ten bucks at the same yard sale where I got the new turntable. That's not the cheapest I've gotten but not the most expensive, either. I also scored some free 45s at another yard sale (Johnny Cash!)

Hell, not long ago, I picked up nearly 50 terrific records for free.

You just have to know where to look, sometimes.

rowjimmy

Just discovered that the Moby Grape - Wow that I scored over the weekend for ~$0.77 is an original with the last track mastered @ 78rpm.

Not extraordinarily rare or expensive (worth 10-20x what I paid though!) but really awesome.

Also, while I'm talking vinyl, I received my copy of the new Spiritualized album today.
Sounds great.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 24, 2008, 07:58:03 PM
Just discovered that the Moby Grape - Wow that I scored over the weekend for ~$0.77 is an original with the last track mastered @ 78rpm.

Not extraordinarily rare or expensive (worth 10-20x what I paid though!) but really awesome.

Also, while I'm talking vinyl, I received my copy of the new Spiritualized album today.
Sounds great.

Better than Amazing Grace I hope?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Different.

This one is, at times, sedate; with gentle swoops of strings. But it picks up at times, too. It's a record that directly addresses mortality from a more mature perspective than some of his earlier albums.

Caravan2001

here's a couple kinda crappy pix of my 1229....I love this table, I think they are among the best ever built.....