News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sigma Oasis

Started by mbw, March 31, 2020, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justjezmund

went back after.  So thread is 11 some min.  the jam starts at 4....thats all that matters. 

its a studio. 
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mopper_smurf

Digital only for now. My inner Luddite disapproves.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mistercharlie

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 01, 2020, 10:55:53 PM
That shit was dope.  Can't find it on YT for a second listen.

Also, you follow Fish's wife?!?  I guess that's not so weird since I follow Bob Weir's daughter  :roll:

Not weird, just pervy. But don't worry I perv with you Monet is HAWT!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

susep

Was pleased with last night's stream.  Lyrically speaking a nice respite from today's current events.  Early on it was clear Page was the MVP of the album, great work in Leaves.  Strings in Leaves was another nice Trey touch.  Maybe because of the images from the barn I kept drawing parallels from Farmhouse especially recording cuts they had been playing for a few years if not longer.  Mike appeared solemn in a lot of his pics especially during Everything's Right.  The outro jam in ER was money, nice atmosphere.  Interesting to hear Mercury, would have boosted Big Boat in a big way.  Been a big fan of Evening Song since the 12/28/19 debut.  Was not expecting to hear Steam, solid version especially the moody background vocals + Fish's percussion.  Love Life Beyond a Dream going back to GoTF, typically loathe Trey ballads but he nails it on this one.  Thread was very cathartic, great way to end it.  Downloaded the album this morning on Spotify, will get me by until the vinyl is released.  Nice job Phish! 

mopper_smurf

Soooooo ..... seriously underwhelmed. Did somebody say Dad rock? It comes close to yacht rock. I could use more tempo, more riffs, more weirdness. O, and more lyrical variety please. They could have released the jams and be done with it.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mbw

Quote from: mopper_smurf on April 02, 2020, 11:42:37 AM
Soooooo ..... seriously underwhelmed. Did somebody say Dad rock? It comes close to yacht rock. I could use more tempo, more riffs, more weirdness. O, and more lyrical variety please. They could have released the jams and be done with it.

thank you.

WhatstheUse?

Yeah. Overall, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Just not a big fan of the majority of those tunes. I can't believe Steam made the cut, lol. Pretty surprised to not see Set Your Soul Free or Soul Planet on the album, I figured those were a given.

I did really enjoy the Everything's Right and Thread jams though.

It'll probably grow me over time like... all things Phish generally do.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

So I only caught 2 tunes last night before it was pulled.
Listening this morning, this could be one of the better studio efforts from the band in recent years.
Makes Big Boat seem like a joke to me.
My only question is where is my heady 'Let Me Lie' track?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Not sure what you guys expected from a Phish album in 2020.

Personally I was hoping for a better batch of songs and production than Big Boat.

Not only did I get that, but it's also the jammiest album since at least Round Room, maybe ever?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax

QuoteSigma Oasis came to be during the first week of November 2019, but it wasn't planned that way at all. We were headed up to The Barn to rehearse for our fall tour and ended up discussing this batch of relatively recent songs that we were particularly proud of and always wished we had recorded, but hadn't had a chance to yet. Trey suggested calling up Vance Powell as he mixed and engineered Ghosts Of The Forest. Vance was very familiar with the space and the console so we set up the gear with no room dividers, no click tracks. Nothing. Just like a Phish show. Open space. We played for a couple days. We just played a bunch of songs — very quickly, a few takes, very organic, natural, live, honest. We had the best time.

When we were done, our photographer Rene came up and asked us to come out on the porch and snap a photo. It took about two minutes. And that's the album cover — a snapshot of our band at that point in time.

Vance had some stuff on his schedule so he asked as a favor if we would mind if he didn't mix until early March. Now four months might sound like a long time, but it gave all of us time to work on the tracks — Page overdubbed a lot of keyboards at home. Trey went to a studio in New York and did vocals and percussion. We had time to pick which songs we wanted to work on. We let a few of them go, which was difficult, but that's ok.

When we recorded the album, we didn't plan to release it this way. But today, because of the environment we're all in, it just feels right. We don't know the next time that we're all going to be able to be together. This is an opportunity to have a moment where the Phish community can share something despite being physically separated.

The last line of the chorus of "Sigma Oasis" sums up this point — There's no place to get. There's nothing to achieve. There's no place to be. We're here. Right here, right now is as good as it gets. "You're already there." It's a content state of mind. You're just completely in the moment. "You're already there." You already have everything you need. Sigma Oasis. It aligns with where we are in our career and as friends and musicians. There's a joy to the playing. We're not clamoring to make it. Make what? We're already there! Sigma Oasis.

-Phish

WhatstheUse?

"We don't know the next time that we're all going to be able to play together"

Aka. Summer tour is cancelled  :-(
Bring in the dude!

cactusfan

I think it's got a nice sound to it, which isn't suprising, given how they describe recording it. Everything's Right is especially nice, and Thread gets pleasantly weird.

But yeah. It's a Phish album. I don't really listen to Phish albums, aside from Billy Breathes.
Glad they had fun making it.

And yeah. I would be amazed if summer tour doesn't get cancelled. Maybe this thing peaks by late April, but then what? Back to normal by July? Not likely.

anthrax

YOU GUYS BITE YOUR FUCKING TONGUES WITH THAT TALK

Hicks

Lol, cmon bro nobody thinks there's any chance that summer tour will happen at this point. 

I'm more bummed than anyone, we were going to get more PNW shows since the 90s!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax