News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-06-16 Bonnaroo - Post-Show Discussion

Started by shoreline99, June 17, 2019, 07:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

BONNAROO
Manchester, TN

SET 1: Set Your Soul Free, Blaze On, Death Don't Hurt Very Long, Reba[1], Free > Sand, Wolfman's Brother, Cavern

SET 2: Mike's Song > Fluffhead > Twist -> Weekapaug Groove -> No Men In No Man's Land -> Weekapaug Groove -> Twist > Fuego > Ghost > Bathtub Gin

ENCORE: Wilson > First Tube

[1] No whistling.

That second set, tho. Can't wait to give it a relisten
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: shoreline99 on June 17, 2019, 07:03:01 AM
BONNAROO
Manchester, TN

SET 1: Set Your Soul Free, Blaze On, Death Don't Hurt Very Long, Reba[1], Free > Sand, Wolfman's Brother, Cavern

SET 2: Mike's Song > Fluffhead > Twist -> Weekapaug Groove -> No Men In No Man's Land -> Weekapaug Groove -> Twist > Fuego > Ghost > Bathtub Gin

ENCORE: Wilson > First Tube

[1] No whistling.

That second set, tho. Can't wait to give it a relisten

Caught most of the second set. Twist thru Fuego was inspired. Not a fan of the short Ghost.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Stayed up for this though I hadn't planned on it. First set was good enough to make me wait out the long setbreak. Haven't gin back to it yet. Second set is hot. The jams aren't extended but they really get at it.

First ever Mike's > Fluffhead is cool and not at all bad. Then the unexpected drop into Twist begins a very memorable stretch. Twist has a blissful jam. Paug is short and flows seamlessly in and out of  NMINML. They bounce off of Twist again unexpectedly before landing in Fuego. Not perfect but good and packing a solid outro jam that teases WTU, Fuego flows into Ghost.

This Ghost may be short but don't sleep on the jam. They waste no time getting into a blissful spot. The Gin rages for a closer.

Watch, if you haven't, this Wilson just so you can see Trey in max shred mode complete with finger taps and all that showy business. It's awesome.

First Tube is same as always.

If Bonnaroo people walked out after that full show without at least respecting Phish, they're hopeless.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2019, 08:44:26 AM
Stayed up for this though I hadn't planned on it. First set was good enough to make me wait out the long setbreak. Haven't gin back to it yet. Second set is hot. The jams aren't extended but they really get at it.

First ever Mike's > Fluffhead is cool and not at all bad. Then the unexpected drop into Twist begins a very memorable stretch. Twist has a blissful jam. Paug is short and flows seamlessly in and out of  NMINML. They bounce off of Twist again unexpectedly before landing in Fuego. Not perfect but good and packing a solid outro jam that teases WTU, Fuego flows into Ghost.

This Ghost may be short but don't sleep on the jam. They waste no time getting into a blissful spot. The Gin rages for a closer.

Watch, if you haven't, this Wilson just so you can see Trey in max shred mode complete with finger taps and all that showy business. It's awesome.

First Tube is same as always.

If Bonnaroo people walked out after that full show without at least respecting Phish, they're hopeless.

As you all know, there are a lot of hopeless people out there.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

I had planned to not check out any of the webcasts before Bangor but then they throw a freebie at us.
The composed section of Reba is very much on point, Trey seems particularly in the pocket.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 17, 2019, 11:32:59 AM
The composed section of Reba is very much on point, Trey seems particularly in the pocket.

I was pretty impressed by fluffhead, particularly The Chase.  Played about as solidly as it can be.

shoreline99

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 17, 2019, 11:32:59 AM
Trey seems particularly in the pocket.

Musta been inspired by that Cardi B set
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Bobafett

I too stayed up late after the first set delivered some energy and tempo that the stl shows were lacking.  Second set delivered for me.   The twist drops off quickly into a beautiful space, with some GotF song tease that I can't seem to name.  The move to week4paug is pretty smooth, the segue into NMINL is on point.   I just wish they had thrown in a bass solo section for mike in this spot.

I enjoyed this show a lot.  I'd give it a b+.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Caravan2001

mbw

gainesvillegreen

From Wolfman's on, there is plenty to enjoy in this show.
The transition from Weekapaug to No Man's and back again is so well done and seamless it's a wonder that it has not been done before?

Their short forays into tight playing spaces is improving.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Hicks

First set seemed pretty standard by the numbers Phish, although Wolfman's might have been a little saucier than usual.

Loved the second set, nice weaving together of Weekapaug, Twist and NMINML and the microjam in Ghost was very sweet, Trey's tone during this was straight butter. A rare Gin second set closer with a little drill action by Mike was the cherry on top. The band seems pretty relaxed and Trey already seems to be more fluid/confident in his playing than he was for most of Summer 2018. I think we're in for a good tour dudes. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on June 17, 2019, 05:47:02 PM
First set seemed pretty standard by the numbers Phish, although Wolfman's might have been a little saucier than usual.

Loved the second set, nice weaving together of Weekapaug, Twist and NMINML and the microjam in Ghost was very sweet, Trey's tone during this was straight butter. A rare Gin second set closer with a little drill action by Mike was the cherry on top. The band seems pretty relaxed and Trey already seems to be more fluid/confident in his playing than he was for most of Summer 2018. I think we're in for a good tour dudes.

My reaction as well. Trey was sharp pretty much throughout and his [jargon] melodic phrasing [/jargon] has also impressed of late. He still needs to slow down though, e.g when it's time to start or end a song. 
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

They're on.
Some of the composed part are a bit off, nothing new unfortunately. I have grudgingly accepted it.
Other than that, the playing is on point. Loving this tour. I wish I could put my life on hold and see more than 1 show, but...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."