News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

organize your CDs?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

damn, i was looking at the duet this whole time, but the squeezebox is even a $100 less! :clap:
i am sooooo getting one of these!
tax return cant come soon enough this year! w00t!
now i just need some help picking out a new PC!  :beers:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

denory

For those that still archive on cd / dvd, this site (www.allmediaoutlet.com) has "520 cd" cases for $10-15 all the time.  I have bought 6 over the past few years and have never had a problem with them falling apart....Just another cheap way to store option! 

VA $l!m

Quote from: VA slim on January 08, 2008, 12:03:33 AM
damn, i was looking at the duet this whole time, but the squeezebox is even a $100 less! :clap:
i am sooooo getting one of these!
tax return cant come soon enough this year! w00t!
now i just need some help picking out a new PC!  :beers:

BTW, the 'duet' is scheduled to be out this month.
and the major difference as compared to the original squeezebox, seems to be the remote which has a color screen and wheel like an IPOD to browse your music selections. also, i guess the other thing is that you can add on additional receivers to other stereo units in your house.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

CRAZYED

The way squeezebox works is basically your computer where your music is acts as the server.  The Slimserver it is called.  There is a little application that runs on your pc, and it has a software player of its own called the softsqueeze i believe.   So basically that part resides on your home network, the slimserver & softsqueeze.  You basically tell the slimserver where all your music lives and it builds a small database and remembers where.  It can be in mulitple locations, network drives, external harddrives, local, wherever.

So then you go to your home theater or wherever you have your squeezebox hooked up.  You do some simple configuration of the SB.  Basically tell it where your music is, where the slim server (IP Address) is.  The SB connects to your wireless or wired home network.  It's relatively simple to all setup, its basically a wizard but you do need to know at least the basics of home networking.  Once it knows where your slimserver is, it can find your music.  And you can also browse out to other services like sirius, rhapsody, internet archive etc.