News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-09-01 Dick's - Denver, CO - Post-Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, September 03, 2019, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PARK
Commerce City, CO
SET 1: Stray Dog[1], Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Turtle in the Clouds, Wolfman's Brother, Birds of a Feather, We Are Come to Outlive Our Brains > Taste > My Friend, My Friend[2] > Twenty Years Later > Sparkle, Crazy Sometimes > Bathtub Gin

SET 2: Sightless Escape[3], Fuego -> Piper > Tweezer > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Chalk Dust Torture[4] > Waste > Cavern > First Tube

ENCORE: The Horse > Silent in the Morning, A Life Beyond The Dream, Tweezer Reprise

[1] Lyric changed to "Plague Dog."
[2] No "Myfe" ending.
[3] Phish debut.
[4] Unfinished.

anthrax

emay

Quote from: anthrax on September 03, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
anyone else feel like an alien at work today?

yes.
This 2nd set was great. The Fuego > piper > tweez> 2001 > cdt was a dance party. Great piper jam and the Fuego jam started going places too.

Encore was slow but the tweeprise sent it off with a bang as usual.

Stoked there was still a raging shakedown even with no dirt lots and the disco ball pit car dance party in the lot was a great nightcap after each show. Dicks has really become a special place to see them, just wish it was a little bigger with the crazy ticket demand.

Hicks

Quote from: emay on September 03, 2019, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: anthrax on September 03, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
anyone else feel like an alien at work today?

yes.
This 2nd set was great. The Fuego > piper > tweez> 2001 > cdt was a dance party. Great piper jam and the Fuego jam started going places too.

Encore was slow but the tweeprise sent it off with a bang as usual.

Stoked there was still a raging shakedown even with no dirt lots and the disco ball pit car dance party in the lot was a great nightcap after each show. Dicks has really become a special place to see them, just wish it was a little bigger with the crazy ticket demand.

It's not the venue size driving up the demand, it's no other shows West of the Mississippi all year. Same thing happened in 2017. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

Yeah true I only know one person that got shut out on Saturday. The demand was crazy this year. Worse than any NyE or show at bakers Dozen. Saw two people pay over 500 in the lot

Caravan2001

Quote from: emay on September 03, 2019, 09:48:27 PM
Yeah true I only know one person that got shut out on Saturday. The demand was crazy this year. Worse than any NyE or show at bakers Dozen b. Saw two people pay over 500 in the lot
It was pretty insane.  Saw so many people offering $200-$300 all over and nobody was giving them a second look.  It was tight.  Glad I had an extra for you!

ETA: also bummed we didn't link up!

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 03, 2019, 10:44:53 PM
Yeah true I only know one person that got shut out on Saturday. The demand was crazy this year. Worse than any NyE or show at bakers Dozen b. Saw two people pay over 500 in the lot
It was pretty insane.  Saw so many people offering $200-$300 all over and nobody was giving them a second look.  It was tight.  Glad I had an extra for you!

Thanks again for that man! I owe you one.
Def bummed we didn't link up! Feel like I always run into you but also didn't get to lot til late on Sunday because of the heat. I'll be out in Portland soon!

Caravan2001

Quote from: emay on September 03, 2019, 11:19:59 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 03, 2019, 10:44:53 PM

ThAnks again for that man! I owe you one.
Def bummed we didn't link up! Feel like I always run into you but also didn't get to lot til late on Sunday because of the heat. I'll be out the Portland soon!

Rad...hit me up!

anthrax

this show was just a little bit behind the 2nd night in my opinion.  i'm not even close to tired of the kasvot and gotf songs, so setlist-wise, i'm all good here.  some great moments in both sets.  lots of high energy dance parties.  lots of beautiful slow parts.  you could hear a pin drop on the front of the floor during the horse.  tweezer was way too short, but being right underneath those lights is one of the most visually entertaining places to be in the world.

dicks is all about the party and the vibe, and that's why it has taken on a life of its own.  those lots are a ton of fun both before and after the shows!  i'm not a fan of a huge floor, but at dicks it just works.  i was beat by the end, but it was totally worth the effort.  everyone is high as hell, nice as hell, and for the most part, respectful as hell.  that shit don't happen out east.  but on the flip side, the shows seem to suffer from a lack of energy.  you aren't ever going to get your doors blown off at dicks.  there just isn't the energy in the crowd.  midwest and east coast shows, especially inside, are so much different! 

after 6 of 9 dicks and 4 in a row, i'm leaning towards couching it for the next dicks run and the saddest part will be not seeing some great friends.

anthrax

Yeah true I only know one person that got shut out on Saturday. The demand was crazy this year. Worse than any NyE or show at bakers Dozen. Saw two people pay over 500 in the lot

move it to where the bronco's play!!

cactusfan

Really liked Fuego Piper Tweezer. Some good weird jamming in there I'm going to need to hear again to remember exactly why it seemed so weird and good.

VDB

Quote from: cactusfan on September 04, 2019, 05:57:31 PM
Really liked Fuego Piper Tweezer. Some good weird jamming in there I'm going to need to hear again to remember exactly why it seemed so weird and good.

Indeed. I was locked in and loving it.

Agreed about the energy, anthrax. Between the spaciousness of the venue and how high I assume everyone is, it's a relatively mellow vibe. We will let the band take us to energy places but won't usually drive that ourselves. Also, everyone's old—let's not forget that.

Hell, it's Thursday and I'm still tired.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

Its funny because the first 2 years they did blow the doors off the place with the S show and then Fuck your face which I think was even better. The energy was there but was still super relaxed compared to the east coast shows. That whole 2012 run was amazing from start to finish and some of the best shows I have seen to date. Nowadays its usually an outlier of Summer tour that almost gets treated as just a normal festival show, like playing at Bonnaroo 3 nights in a row.

Quote from: anthrax on September 04, 2019, 05:30:53 PM

move it to where the bronco's play!!

haha Stones just played there! I have a feeling they would do 2 nights at Coors Field if anything which would be pretty wild. They do more concerts there.

mattstick

We need to talk about this guy doing recaps of FZappa20's show recaps

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on September 05, 2019, 10:17:27 PM
We need to talk about this guy doing recaps of FZappa20's show recaps

Is that his older brother or something?

Sure looks/sounds like him.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.